Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

CX AAward F Class ORD - HKG - BKK held - HKG hotel for ~$100?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

A few days ago there was no availability today yes. So put on hold a July/August F class AAward ticket on CX #806/807 ORD/HKG/BKK.

The return has a layover in HKG so took the early flight out of BKK for 24 hours in HKG.

Any suggestions for a $100. or so hotel for the night?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
As this is a question on HKG hotels, I am moving this thread over to the Hong Kong forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
So you would splurge on a F class award and you want to stinge on a hotel in HK?

You won`t find anything less than 150 bucks in HK. Not even the YMCA.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
$211 US for the Airport Regal in August, way out advance purchase. Under USD 150? Best of luck to you - though you can find some guest houses (other than Chungking Mansion!) for under USD $100.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Hmmm - hotel prices in HKG has been going up, up & away toward the sky with the Ritz, making the IC a bargain sometimes - depending on your specific travel date - assuming that there are no large groups of mainlanders booking blocks of rooms.

Mid-week prices this summer for the Booth Lodge operated by the Salvation Army is at $150 USD per night, wow. The L' Hotel Nina ET Convention Center & Hotel in Tsuen Wan, midway between airport and the city is about $125 USD per night including 10% service fees - it's accessible on MTR's West Rail or via taxi/express bus, etc.

The Salisbury YMCA in TST, next door to the classic Pennisula Hotel, 2 blocks from the Sheraton and 3 blocks to the IC for High Tea is actually available, it's slightly above your target but worth the extra - showing about $120 USD per night including 10% service fees for a no-frill single bed/private room with bath/shower. It's one of the best kept secret but reviews/photos on tripadvisor . com tell the story. It's a 5 minutes walk to the Star Ferry across the harbor, check out the 8 p.m. laser show by walking across the street - and if you are traveling light, take the airport express bus instead of the train.

You might be able to confirm booking for a "motel" or guest house for under $100 USD/night, and it's your choice .... however, I would definitely not do it nor endorse it.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
After CX F any hotel in HKG <$250USD will be a big disappointment.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

I see you are Hyatt platinum. There are several Hyatts in Hong Kong. This could be a good place to use points.

If you have a hotel credit card that gives you a free night (such as Hyatt or Priority Club or Marriott) this is an good value for redemption.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, moving the thread to the appropriate forum and HKG hotel status information.

We used up our Hyatt suff for 6 "free" nights last year. Paid a bump for harbor view and due to a "room malfunction" they threw in the club and a ride to the airport.

So no Hyatt this year, but that's OK. We were so comfortable there in the past we slept late and ate at least one meal at the club each day.

For us, that was a big big no, no in HKG and will not make that mistake again (yes, it's only day and night) so we are looking for a basic hotel that will keep us on the street and out of the lounge for the overlay (BKK/HKG/ORD).

Here is a couple of Hyatt Grand photos from 2010:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelt...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/traveltv/5185176247/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelt...n/photostream/

The harbor view YMCA seems like a good simple choice. Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jan 18, 2012 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
There are certainly ways to get a decent room under $150. Hotwire, Priceline or by using points for a stay. If Radisson has locations here, you could have gotten in on their 50k promotion last month, and stayed at their best location for the price of a cheap $60 night booked in the US.

I've never spent more than $150 a night in the last 8 years I've been coming. I'm sure that will change soon, as prices have been creeping up. My favorite has gone up 30% in the last year.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
$211 US for the Airport Regal in August, way out advance purchase. Under USD 150? Best of luck to you - though you can find some guest houses (other than Chungking Mansion!) for under USD $100.
I recently booked a 4* in the New Territories (Harbour Plaza Resort City) for €53 a night (~$68) in March, inc tax. Prepaid, but 90% refund if cxl at least 3 days before arrival.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by railways
I recently booked a 4* in the New Territories (Harbour Plaza Resort City) for €53 a night (~$68) in March, inc tax. Prepaid, but 90% refund if cxl at least 3 days before arrival.
Tin Shui Wai is not a good idea for location when one is just flying in, overnighting one night and out the next day.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Tin Shui Wai is not a good idea for location when one is just flying in, overnighting one night and out the next day.
Maybe not (although I'm just stopping for 2 nights, and I have been to HK before). It's near an MRT line, though.

But the general impression I got (and wanted to dispel) was that there are no cheap hotels in HK except for crummy guest houses.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Maybe not (although I'm just stopping for 2 nights, and I have been to HK before). It's near an MRT line, though.

But the general impression I got (and wanted to dispel) was that there are no cheap hotels in HK except for crummy guest houses.
Harbour Plaza RC in TSW is about as far away from the heart & soul of Hong Kong & Kowloon as one can get - although it's on a MTR branch (Light Rail-West Rail-MTR's mainline.) It's a long trip of easily 60 minutes to Central or TST, with alternatives being taxi & express bus (air-conditioned is a must.) Even for someone familiar with HKG and the city, HPRC isn't recommended.

If OP prefer a bit more green, although the Shatin Town Centre & shopping huge indoor mall complexes are just as crowded, the Regal Riverside Hotel can be booked for as little as $91 USD with 10% fees inclusive up to beginning of July - their summer promo rates has yet to be posted, will need to check back later. It's still out of the way but a shorter commute time to TST or Central with MTR & other public transport options - reviews are mixed but I would stick with the "Y" despite its affiliation.

With hotel occupancy around 85% as reported, HK has recovered from the lows seen in 2003-4 SARS days so it's difficult, but not impossible to find a decent bargain if one is flexible - basic laws of supply & demand at play here with wealthy mainlanders on shopping runs, seemingly overrunning everything in the path. Some of the smaller boutique hotels & guest houses are actually nice - small, clean, efficient and functional and minimal frills - others are as you said, crummy. We will never go in the summer months - excessive heat & humidity.

For OP, lock in a good rate that you are comfortable with now that can be cancelled, and keep checking back every now & then - some properties run specials in partnering with CX and the HK Tourism Bureau, and book it quick before they disappear. Enjoy your "run" (My DW find it hard to believe that hotels are cheaper in Hawaii (and spacious) these days than in HKG - reflection of the U.S. economy, perhaps)

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which MTR line, main or light rail, big difference. All HKers does not use the same term for the two (地鐵vs輕鐵). It is also reflected in property values being in close proximity to either one.
How long would it take to get to TST or Central from Tin Shui Wai on MTR during the day?

Rural accommodations are cheaper in every city.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Harbour Plaza RC in TSW is about as far away from the heart & soul of Hong Kong & Kowloon as one can get - although it's on a MTR branch (Light Rail-West Rail-MTR's mainline.) It's a long trip of easily 60 minutes to Central or TST, with alternatives being taxi & express bus (air-conditioned is a must.) Even for someone familiar with HKG and the city, HPRC isn't recommended.
Originally Posted by tentseller
Which MTR line, main or light rail, big difference. All HKers does not use the same term for the two (地鐵vs輕鐵). It is also reflected in property values being in close proximity to either one.
How long would it take to get to TST or Central from Tin Shui Wai on MTR during the day?
I think I made the point that I wasn't directly referring to the OP's predicament, but to other posts suggesting that reasonable quality, moderately priced HK accommodation is an oxymoron. I'm glad to see now more examples have been given.

Regarding location - it partly depends on your tolerance to public transport. I have an extremely high regard for the MTR. TSW is 29 minutes from East TST (per MTR journey planner), and about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel. No problem whatsoever for me.

I'm curious to know why HPRC "isn't recommended". No doubt I will find out after staying there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.