Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a mobile phone

Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
Traveling to Hong Kong next month and I want to take the opportunity to buy a Samsung Galaxy S II, unlocked, so I can use it in Australia.

Has anyone got any good ideas of where I should pick one up in Hong Kong. Are there any pitfalls for buying a mobile in HK for use in Australia?

Thanks heaps.

TKM
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just buy it from major electronic shops namely fortress or boardway.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:58 am

I don't think any phones sold in HK are locked unless you are buying it second hand, but if you buy it new from any major electronic store as ChrisLi said you will be fine.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Even buying from Broadway/Forrtress make sure you pay by credit card and the unlocked phone with model and serial number is on the invoice, for your protection.

I was given a locked phone. Without getting anywhere and accumulating IDD cal to them I initiated a chargeback with all documentation. two days later I got a call from a manager who sent me steps and code to unlock the phone and gave me a 500HKD credit.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I was thinking of doing the same to get an iPhone to use back in the UK, but had/have no idea if that would work back in the UK, but, seeing the advice above, it may be an idea...

Are things really a lot cheaper in HK?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I was thinking of doing the same to get an iPhone to use back in the UK, but had/have no idea if that would work back in the UK, but, seeing the advice above, it may be an idea...

Apple products in HK are priced about the same as in the US, and significantly cheaper than in Europe.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Apple products in HK are priced about the same as in the US, and significantly cheaper than in Europe.
Only if you can get one. Getting an iPhone 4s is super annoying and troublesome as you have to fight with other mainlanders

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

Only if you check the price before hand but yes, normally cheaper than UK and EU
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Thekman
Hi all,
Traveling to Hong Kong next month and I want to take the opportunity to buy a Samsung Galaxy S II, unlocked, so I can use it in Australia.

Has anyone got any good ideas of where I should pick one up in Hong Kong. Are there any pitfalls for buying a mobile in HK for use in Australia?

Thanks heaps.

TKM
Price is generally "not negotiable" but the shop will throw in "free gifts" such as screen guard, adaptors, etc. Make sure you ask and compare shop. Bring your existing phone/SIM card with you to check out the new phone to make sure that it's unlocked.

Personally, I have better experience at Broadway than Fortress. Twice in recent months, Fortress sales rep. was trying to do a bait and switch with the free gifts on me, or claimed at check out that the gifts have all been given out and there was no substitute, so I walked out.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Or try one of the many smaller vendors in Sin Tat if you're feeling adventurous.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jamar
Or try one of the many smaller vendors in Sin Tat if you're feeling adventurous.
The place where monthly police raids occur(to retrieve stolen goods). There is no better adventure destination for mobile phone shopping in HK.

You are pretty much guaranteed to receive a phone that comes with counterfeit battery/accessories, to start. The phone itself could be refurbished, re-manufactured - using salvage/stolen/counterfeit components - locally known as "ghost phone".

Unless of course you are buying a phone that is a very recent release and the factories in China haven't managed to produce the counterfeit accessories/packaging.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:16 am

Probably the safest bet is to buy the phone from one of the major retailers, namely (as already mentioned) Fortress or Broadway. They are much the same and the retail price is pretty much the same across the board.

I've had luck in the past heading over to the Wanchai Computer Centre and getting a bit better discount, or better "freebies" thrown in then I would have got with Fortress / Broadway.

Goes without saying, make sure you double check everything, Hong Kong has really poor consumer protection laws and it is very much "buyer beware" here.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:58 am

Even buying from one of the established chains, I once got a phone that is used, with time logged in the hidden, un-resettable lifetime odometer. 99% of the users would not know such stats exist as the other user-accessible odometer reads zero.

It is not illegal to sell returned goods as new in HK.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Even buying from one of the established chains, I once got a phone that is used, with time logged in the hidden, un-resettable lifetime odometer. 99% of the users would not know such stats exist as the other user-accessible odometer reads zero.

It is not illegal to sell returned goods as new in HK.
That last statement is totally unfounded. Can you please provide me with the legislation that says that its not illegal to sell returned goods as new in HK.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by theworld
That last statement is totally unfounded. Can you please provide me with the legislation that says that its not illegal to sell returned goods as new in HK.
How about you "provide me with the legislation that says it's not illegal to sell <insert anything you find in a supermarket here>" ? See the problem?

So typically, no I cannot find anything in the law book that says it's not illegal to do XXX.

Rather I should be asking you sir, which HK legislation says it is illegal to sell returned goods as new.

Last edited by beep88; Feb 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.