Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a mobile phone

Where to buy a mobile phone

Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:06 am
DDL

Originally Posted by beep88
Rather I should be asking you sir, which HK legislation says it is illegal to sell returned goods as new.
Selling goods not new as new may contravene the law in Hong Kong and in any case is actionable.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:13 pm

How about you "provide me with the legislation that says it's not illegal to sell <insert anything you find in a supermarket here>" ? See the problem?

So typically, no I cannot find anything in the law book that says it's not illegal to do XXX.

Rather I should be asking you sir, which HK legislation says it is illegal to sell returned goods as new.
Mate, you were the one that made the statement, now back it up.

Hint, do a search for "Sale of Goods Ordinance".
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The place where monthly police raids occur(to retrieve stolen goods). There is no better adventure destination for mobile phone shopping in HK.

You are pretty much guaranteed to receive a phone that comes with counterfeit battery/accessories, to start. The phone itself could be refurbished, re-manufactured - using salvage/stolen/counterfeit components - locally known as "ghost phone".

Unless of course you are buying a phone that is a very recent release and the factories in China haven't managed to produce the counterfeit accessories/packaging.
OK, I did not know about the police raids. My sister's boyfriend is a local and recommended it to me, as did some HK-based people on a cellphone enthusiast forum I frequent. There are certain phones you can't find anywhere else in HK (many, many Japan-market phones can be purchased unlocked from there that you can only get in a locked state in Japan), and since post-purchase disasters at Gome HK (2009) and Fortress (2010) (probably related to your "It is not illegal to sell returned goods as new in HK." though I have no idea how to check on the particular phones I bought) I figure there's not that much of a difference in terms of after-sales support.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Just moved here, can someone recommend which cell service provider to choose from? Do I go buy a cel at one of those stores mentioned in that thread first and then figure out who offers cel phone service? Thanks for any suggestion
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; C6603 Build/10.1.A.1.434) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.58 Mobile Safari/537.31)

If you are going to stay here long enough, get a 24 months plan and get a rebate. If not, then just go buy from those stores and get a prepaid SIM or no commitment service plan from those operators
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:31 am

Here's a couple of threads that might be helpful [from technology forum]:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...m-card-hk.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-calls-hk.html

You might also do a search on this thread.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Upping this thread a little, I'm going to HK for business and have a couple of phones whose screens are either cracked or malfunctioning (1 desire C and one desire Z, so no last-gen.
Anyone knows a good place where I could find someone to fix it for me? I roughly have 10 days there so could I have it done in that timeframe?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Around Apliu Street in Sham Shui Po would have the biggest concentration of everything that you need/don't need for cell phones. BUT most of the outlets are not extremely fluent in English.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
... have a couple of phones whose screens are either cracked or malfunctioning (1 desire C and one desire Z, so no last-gen. I roughly have 10 days there so could I have it done in that timeframe? Thanks!
I see digitizers including repair tools for HTC Desire C and Z on eBay for under $10 USD shipped. Depending on timing, you might want to order them & bring them with you, and find one of the repair shops as suggested and pay them the labor to do the work for you. It will be easier as they will otherwise have the "extra" costs of sourcing the digitizers on your behalf & speed up the turnaround time. Or, if leaving shortly & depending on transit/shippiing time, have it forwarded to where you are staying/hotel in HKG (or a local address there like the office/friend, etc.) as these are usually coming across the mainland border via China Post - I get most of them delivered here in the US in about/under 10 business days.

There's a couple of small mobile phone/repair shops around Sai Yeung Choi Street north of Boundary Street in Mong Kok that sell pre-owned & do trades, etc. on mobile devices along with prepaid sim cards & accessories, etc. Good luck!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I just have my mum's LG G Pro screen replaced with HKD 400 at Sin Tat Shopping Mall. Took 40 minute and if you are worry you can stand there watch them repair.

Just don't buy new phone from there will be fine
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I just have my mum's LG G Pro screen replaced with HKD 400 at Sin Tat Shopping Mall. Took 40 minute and if you are worry you can stand there watch them repair.

Just don't buy new phone from there will be fine
Address: 83 Argyle St, i ususally go to the few shops 1 floor up on the left side of the escalator
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Upping this thread a little, I'm going to HK for business and have a couple of phones whose screens are either cracked or malfunctioning (1 desire C and one desire Z, so no last-gen.
Anyone knows a good place where I could find someone to fix it for me? I roughly have 10 days there so could I have it done in that timeframe?

Thanks!
Like others have said Sin Tat is the place to go for repairs.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll go to Sin Tat and have a look.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.