Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKID at HK check-in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

HKID at HK check-in

I got asked to show my HKID at Hong Kong station check-in for the return leg of CX LHR-HKG-LHR. I make this trip 3 times a year on my Australian passport, and stay in HK for a few weeks.

When I challenged the agent she said that their policy is to ask for passengers' HKID if they used it to enter HK. I asked how she knew what I used to enter HK, she said HK immigration would stamp my passport. I said yes, but you have only opened my passport to the photo page and then closed it, and shouldn't you be checking my UK visa rather than how I entered HK?

Then she kind of mumbled something like this policy of checking HKID has been going on for a long time. However, this has never happened to me or anyone in my family when departing from HK. (We have been asked to show it when going to HK, but we always make a big fuss about getting it out and the check-in agent says it doesn't matter...) Also, in over 20 flights, nobody in HK has ever checked my UK visa despite my flight originating in LHR.

Anyway, does this happen to other people, and maybe it is an ITCI thing? I usually check-in at the airport.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
I have never been asked to show my HKID when departing HK. Only my US issued passport. I always use the ITCI at Kowloon station. I always enter HK using my HKID.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by DAL4550
I have never been asked to show my HKID when departing HK. Only my US issued passport. I always use the ITCI at Kowloon station. I always enter HK using my HKID.
Except of course going through the immigration process at the airport. Never at check in.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:18 am

It actually is policy to check the document used to enter HK because technically you can't depart from HK on an Australian passport if you had entered using your HKID. Instead of seeing it as them checking you, see it as a friendly reminder that you actually brought along your HKID or else it would cause potential problems while attempting to leave HK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.