Visiting HKG after 6 year hiatus--suggestions for xmas?

Subscribe
Hi,

I'm finally getting back to HKG after nearly six years between trips. Any suggestions for new attractions (I saw a similar but not identical question in a diff thread, that 360 attraction, but aside from the gondola ride, really, what's there??) or parts of the city to visit? Or areas of the new territories that are better equipped for tourists than they once were? (I once did a tour on my own of some of the monasteries, but they were totally not prepared for individual wanderers).

I posted this note because I had a few other questions, too:

*any special events or things going on next week/xmas day anyone would recommend? (I've plowed through what's on HKG tourism site, but am asking insiders here :-) )

*Any suggestions of where to eat near Causeway Bay (staying at Holiday Inn Express 3 nights) or in Kowloon (staying at the Regent, er, IC...you can see how many years I've been going to HKG by that slip). I had my favorites back in the day, but who knows what's still in business.

*Finally, any suggestions on where to shop for gadgets? I seem to recall Mongkok having the choice computer mall, followed by one in Wanchai, but six years is a long time. I'll be on the hunt for camera and tech gadgets.

Thanks!
X'mas in HK = see the light show in TST - I'm flying to Asia to avoid Western x'mas so I can't help you out much.

What do you like to eat? I like Nanxiang steam bun - I think the one in Tsuen Wan is nicer but it's ok. There are lots of things to try in HK - if you like dim sum then you can try Tim Ho Wan at HK station.

Buying gadgets - find out what model you want and check the prices on http://www.price.com.hk/ - it's not the most updated but it should give you a rough idea what to expect. Once you know what you want and the price range, go around and compare prices. I only use big shops like fortress, broadway etc. Each shop has different price or package even though they belong to the same chain (it might be an idea to phone around to save time).

I bought my camera at Broadway in MK and I phoned their Telford garden to check prices before that. When I was there I told the shopkeeper that Telford garden sells it cheaper if they could match the offer and they accepted it.

Bare in mind that HK is not as cheap as it used to be, but compared to Europe it's a cheap place.
I would recommend the Red Pepper restaurant in Causeway Bay (G/F, 7 Lan Fong Rd.).

Some will say it's a 'tourist' restaurant, but the combination of good food, casual, relaxing atmosphere, and decent pricing make it a winner for me.
Quote: *Finally, any suggestions on where to shop for gadgets? I seem to recall Mongkok having the choice computer mall, followed by one in Wanchai, but six years is a long time. I'll be on the hunt for camera and tech gadgets.
The Ap Liu Street market may be your thing. MTR Sham Shui Po, on the same line as Mong Kok, but a couple of stops further along. As well as checking the market itself also check the shops behind the market - some are absolute gems.

Audrey