Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 hours in Hong Kong - enough time?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

we may be able to arrange exactly 23 hours between flights into and out of Hong Kong. Is that enough time to get down town and do some sight seeing (never having been there, I have no idea of timing to get through customs, get down town, and return to check in for next flight)?

Bruce
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:48 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
This will likely be moved to the Hong Kong forum. Easy to get into the city. You might find some ideas here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...e-what-do.html
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:50 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the Hong Kong forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:18 pm
Ory

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Take airport express train to Central - buy return ticket.

Buy/charge Octopus Card.

Go to Pacific Coffee and use free internet.

Go up the Peak on Peak Tram.

Take a look around Soho/Mid Levels around the escalator.

Go to Ap Lei Chau if you can, take the double decker trams and a sampan/taxi if you need to, or bus (90B or 91).

Eat some lunch.

Go back to Central - take MTR to Mong Kok.

Walk to Tsim Sha Tsui / The Harbor from there

Take Star Ferry to Island.

Pacific Coffee/Starbucks.

Repeat/Go to your favorite place if you still have time.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by married 2 miles
we may be able to arrange exactly 23 hours between flights into and out of Hong Kong. Is that enough time to get down town and do some sight seeing (never having been there, I have no idea of timing to get through customs, get down town, and return to check in for next flight)?

Bruce
Is it enough time to see HK, no but HK is a great place to spend anything from about 6 hours to 6 weeks. Definitely time to get the tram, the escalators (there are some great food places near the top) and get some great food. The MTR is brilliant and I sems to remember there is a 24 hour options on the Oyster card so would go with that.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by burmans
The MTR is brilliant and I sems to remember there is a 24 hour options on the Oyster card so would go with that.
There is a 24-hour MTR tourist pass, but it only works on MTR trains (most, but not all; and doesn't include the Airport Express). And it is NOT loaded onto an Octopus. There is no day pass for most transportation.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by rkkwan
There is a 24-hour MTR tourist pass, but it only works on MTR trains (most, but not all; and doesn't include the Airport Express). And it is NOT loaded onto an Octopus. There is no day pass for most transportation.
Octopus/Oyster, OK they are both sea creatures. I don't seem to remember transportation in HK being an issue, it was always cheap as far as I remember and very efficient.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
To reiterate what has already been said, yes do go for it.

I guess if you come back with arrival and departure times we can collectively put together some detailed suggestions for you.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Hi!

I'm not the OP, but maybe that generous offer of helping plan a layover itinerary is good for me?

I arrive at 6:45PM, ongoing flight is 4:45PM the next day (Cathay First in, Business out).

I will stay either at the W or the JW Marriott (Platinum on both programs)

Thoughts?

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 21, 2011 at 9:56 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by beachfan
Hi!

I'm not the OP, but maybe that generous offer of helping plan a layover itinerary is good for me?

I arrive at 6:45PM, ongoing flight is 4:45PM the next day (Cathay First in, Business out).

I will stay either at the W or the JW Marriott (Platinum on both programs)

Thoughts?
I'm not the one who made the original offer too but I'll try here.

- Arrive 6:45pm, get to W hotel approx 8-8:30pm. Get late checkout tomorrow as Plat.
- Head out, walk to TST/Nathan Rd, have dinner there. Spend some $$ shopping if you are into that sort of thing.
- Go to waterfront at bottom of Nathan Rd. Classic HK skyline view.
- Head back to W by foot or taxi.
- Early next morning, wake early, go for swim in roof pool.
- Head out to Jordan area for local breakfast.
- MTR to HK island. Peak tram. Walkabout.
- Take star ferry back to Kowloon about lunchtime or a little later.
- Taxi to hotel, check out.
- Do city check-in at Kowloon station, head to HKG.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks!

Any favorite places to eat? I was thinking of Tim Ho Wan, but given the wait and the fact that I don't need to go cheap, something as good but double the price and a shorter wait would be fine.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

20 hours in NYC - enough time?

Yes, a short stay is better than nothing but barely and I'd recommend investing more time exploring this hub that's become a favorite of many including mine.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Thanks!

Any favorite places to eat? I was thinking of Tim Ho Wan, but given the wait and the fact that I don't need to go cheap, something as good but double the price and a shorter wait would be fine.
Eat ... well, let's see where to start ...

Dinner ... there are just simply too many places to start in the TST/Nathan Rd area. Price range runs all over the map. If you want to give yourself a treat, make a late dinner reservation at Felix at the Peninsula.

For breakfast, I would highly recommend the area right behind the W (assuming you stay there) surrounding Jordan MTR station. It is an old neighborhood and there are lots of local breakfast places. Look up Australian Dairy Company for example. My good old standby. (Nothing Australian about it I assure you!).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Thanks!

The line at Tim Ho Wan usually isn't bad if you get there just before 10 on a weekday. I occasionally go there at that time and get in as soon as they open. It's definitely over-hyped but that doesn't mean the cha siu bao isn't absolutely delicious.

I personally prefer eating Island-side (maybe because that's where I work and spend most of my time), it reminds me of coming to HK during the "good old" (British) days. And if all else fails at least there's always Crystal Jade with several convenient locations!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Santander
The line at Tim Ho Wan usually isn't bad if you get there just before 10 on a weekday. I occasionally go there at that time and get in as soon as they open. It's definitely over-hyped but that doesn't mean the cha siu bao isn't absolutely delicious.

I personally prefer eating Island-side (maybe because that's where I work and spend most of my time), it reminds me of coming to HK during the "good old" (British) days. And if all else fails at least there's always Crystal Jade with several convenient locations!
Unfortunately, I arrive on a Friday and leave Saturday. What's your favorite Island-side place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.