Reload this Page >

How much to load on Octopus card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much to load on Octopus card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
On my last trip into HKG I went to purchase a standard Octopus card. The agent asked how old I am. As over 65, he offered an "Elder" Octopus card @ 70 HKD, for which the fare charges are substantially less.

Was the criteria for this changed, as I seem to recall the last time I read the rules, you had to be a HKG resident to use an Elder card. Or perhaps I am confusing the MTR (HKG) with MRT(Singapore)...

Happy wandering

Fred
I think it's a accidental arrangement that the government didn't think through when they start the HKD 2 for public transport scheme, that they forgot non-local elderly can legally get the same concession.

unless they change the law we the tax payer will be paying for your discounted travel
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There is no requirement to be local residents to use an "elder" Octopus or pay concession fares. As long as you can prove your age if checked.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rkkwan
There is no requirement to be local residents to use an "elder" Octopus or pay concession fares. As long as you can prove your age if checked.
As a friendly reminder - concession fares for persons with disabilities do not work the same way and it is far more complicated.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I appreciate the advice below, but does it make sense for me to get an Octopus card for a 3-day visit when I can get an Adult Tourist (Transit) Day Pass for HK$55 = USD$7 ?

https://www.paydollar.com/b2c2/AELCo...ng&catid=20501

How many rides does it take for the pass to pay for itself? Does it include trams and buses referenced below?

I don't require airport transit and probably won't be using vending machines. The whole "refund" thing isn't another stop that I want.

Originally Posted by Steve M
Life is much easier even as a tourist with an Octopus card. And it's not just for the MTR. For example, the tram (the rail-based double-decker trains, not the Peak Tram) cost $2.3 per ride - exact change required. Similar issue for buses and mini-buses. It's much simpler to be able to just tap the Octopus card than worry about change. Also, for the Peak Tram, if you have enough value on the card to pay for the fare, you can skip the inevitable line at the ticket window. For smaller purchases at 7-11 etc, you avoid getting a pocketful of change.
Originally Posted by tcl
The Octopus card is similar to a personalized refillable gift card (or pre-paid credit card) with pay-wave function. It's main use is for speed and convenience for public transport, vending machines and certain shops where there is a large transaction volume and speeding up the line is greatly appreciated/a necessity. Examples are coffee shops, convenience stores and places where office workers buy lunch boxes during the lunch rush. Considering the majority of the HK population have one, not having one is considered rude as you will almost always hold up the line fiddling around with coins. Plus the HK$5 coin and HK$10 coin are quite heavy and generally a pain (literally) to carry.

However, if you will not be taking public transport, use vending machines nor eat outside of sit-down restaurants for the duration of your visit, there is no reason to get an Octopus card. If the only public transport you need is the Airport Express, then just get those tickets separately.
Originally Posted by Santander
Octopus is not a debit card; it's a part of the HK way of life. Pretty much everyone from schoolchildren to bankers to tourists have one. It's like an Oyster card in London or a Suica card in Tokyo. If you won't be taking public transport at all during those 4 days (somewhat unlikely) you don't need Octopus, but if you do plan to use the MTR it'll save you valuable time because you won't have to buy single journey tickets all the time. The payment thing outside public transit is more of a side function; I rarely use it for that purpose other than buying the odd cup of coffee.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The pass only covers MTR subway trains. Not for ferries, trams and most buses. That's why you still need and want an Octopus, whether you get that $55 pass or not.

As for train costs, without crossing the harbor, it's around $5-7. Crossing it and you starts at around $9-10. Up to $20+ going to parts of New Territories and to Disney/Tung Chung.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You'd struggle to spend HK$55 per day for 3 days just on the MTR to be honest. You'll almost always spend less by simply getting a standard on-loan Octopus card.

Refunding takes seconds at any MTR customer service desk, though obviously you then have HK$ cash to do something with before you leave.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AA- Million Miler, DL,
So I'm sold - I'll be buying three Octopus cards for my family of 3 when we visit in November. We'll be arriving by train from Guangzhou and departing by plane. I've read the thread but I'm still confused by the airport express references. Can I use the Octopus for the airport express when we are departing? Or is the airport express cost just deducted from the Octopus card?

Where in the train station do I buy the Octopus? And can we return them at the airport as we leave Hong Kong?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:33 am

You can buy the card at an MTR counter in the station. You'll need HK$ of course.

The Airport Express fare will be deducted from your Octopus card.

You can refund the card at the MTR counter at the airport, but note it's down on the arrival floor.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RhodyRed
So I'm sold - I'll be buying three Octopus cards for my family of 3 when we visit in November. We'll be arriving by train from Guangzhou and departing by plane. I've read the thread but I'm still confused by the airport express references. Can I use the Octopus for the airport express when we are departing? Or is the airport express cost just deducted from the Octopus card?

Where in the train station do I buy the Octopus? And can we return them at the airport as we leave Hong Kong?
Yes, you can just use the Octopus card to ride the Airport Express. Problem is that you'll be charged full fare. HK$100 each from Hong Kong, $90 from Kowloon and $60 from Tsing Yi (with free MTR connection provided, using the same Octopus card). BUT BUT BUT, Airport Express has a group ticket, which only cost $210 from HK, $190 from Kowloon and $125 from Tsing Yi for 3 people riding together. So, that can provide a significant saving over using the Octopus to pay for your fare.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA- Million Miler, DL,
Can I use a US based credit card to buy and fund the cards at the time of purchase? Or is it a cash only transaction?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RhodyRed
Can I use a US based credit card to buy and fund the cards at the time of purchase? Or is it a cash only transaction?
Only cash to get a regular Octopus. It's basically a cash card and you can redeem cash - you can imagine why you can't buy it with a credit card.

Credit card, however, can be used to purchase "Airport Express Travel Cards", which are special types of Octopus, which has one or two Airport Express trips loaded onto it, along with "technically" 4 calendar days of MTR subway train travels and $50 of cash. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/ti..._pass_ael.html
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Only cash to get a regular Octopus. It's basically a cash card and you can redeem cash - you can imagine why you can't buy it with a credit card.

Credit card, however, can be used to purchase "Airport Express Travel Cards", which are special types of Octopus, which has one or two Airport Express trips loaded onto it, along with "technically" 4 calendar days of MTR subway train travels and $50 of cash. http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/ti..._pass_ael.html
Airport Express Octopus does not include any stored value and you can top-up with cash yourself for other transportation / retail use

[Disclaim]
The above reply make no representation of the company I work at and of my personal understanding / opinion
[/Disclaim]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.