Hong Kong Short Trip: Hotels? Places?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Short Trip: Hotels? Places?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Smile Hong Kong Short Trip: Hotels? Places?

Hi everybody,

I am going to have a stop in Hong Kong from Guang Zhou flight. I will be reaching HK in the afternoon and leaving the next day morning at 11 am. Where would be the best place to go and what hotels are a reasonable price? I have been using kayak for lots of USA hotels, but for asia what website is great for searching?

I currently have 2 plans:

Plan A
1. Take the express train to tsim tsa tsui and do shopping and back the next day

Plan B
1. Leave my luggage in the airport baggage locker room (If they have any. Does anybody know?)
2, Visit the big buddha
3. Go back to the airport and take a train to downtown. Check in the hotel there.
4. Leave to the airport the next day.

Anybody any ideas? I guess the main concern are the hotel prices and close location to the train station.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:53 am

Probably best to ask this question in the Hong Kong Forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-436/

Baggage can be left at HKG, see here: http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...t-baggage.html

Hong Kong hotels are expensive, especially those on the island. That said, depending on what time of year you come and how far in advance you book, you can get some deals. It all depends on the quality of service you want, and perhaps how you want to accrue or spend your loyalty points.

Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz and the usual suspects are all fine for finding hotels in HK. In addition you could try Wego, but I've never found any big differences in price amongst any of the aggregators. I like to contact my preferred hotels directly and ask for the best rate. Your mileage may vary.

If you stay in Central, I find Butterfly on Wellington to be a well-appointed option in its price range, and it's a 10 minute walk from the Airport Express station. Of course, taxis are so cheap in HK that you shouldn't let proximity to the Hong Kong Station or Kowloon Station really affect your decision. The Island Pacific and Courtyard Marriott in Western District are both reasonably priced, but not really near a train station. A 10-minute taxi ride solves that problem.

Shopping in TST is fun, as is taking the Ngong Ping up to the Buddha. If you've never been to HK before, a trip to the Peak on the cable car is a good bet as well. If you're here on a Wednesday evening, I'd highly recommend an hour or two at Happy Valley Race Course. All depends on what you're into, I suppose.

Good luck!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: QR Gold
I frequently have a stop over in HKG for a few hours...

I know this is the wrong forum but...

They have moved the baggage storage to T2 so if you are leaving your bags you need to walk to T2 (unless you land in T2)

If I am staying over night then I book into a hotel and spend the day shopping and drinking in LQF. If I am only spending <16 hours then I leave my bag at T2 and then get the bus (yes the bus as it's cheaper (A21) , if i am short on time i take train) and explore....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everybody reply. I will be there next month pretty much.
yea, the hotels are darn expensive. Will i be looking at spending $200 hotels at least?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Sha Tin stays

I have stayed at Sha Tin Hyatt and really like it. Although it is a train ride from the City (30 minutes) but the room s are really nice and you can get rates close to $100/night if planned correctly.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay in Hong King.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by cundall
(unless you land in T2)
Nobody lands in T2 - it's just a misnamed separate check-in hall for certain airlines. All arrivals come in to T1 (the only actual terminal).
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:00 pm

Meal at Buddhist Monastery

While you're up at the Big Buddha, if you have time check out the vegetarian meal at the monastery. It is a very unique and fun thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.