Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Opening a HK bank account with a HKID adequate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

I would like to open a bank account in Hong Kong when I go there in Christmas.

I would like to know what kind of documents they require for account opening? I have an HKID card, would that be enough?

Also, would the bank let you have a foreign address or it has to have a local address?

Thanks for the advices,
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by lililolo
I would like to open a bank account in Hong Kong when I go there in Christmas.

I would like to know what kind of documents they require for account opening? I have an HKID card, would that be enough?

Also, would the bank let you have a foreign address or it has to have a local address?

Thanks for the advices,
With HSBC, you can open an account with just a foreign address. However, what they want is a PROOF of that address, like a printed bank statement or utility/phone bill with your name and that address on it.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I first opened my Standard Chartered bank account in HK using a foreign address Canadian DL as my proof of address. I later changed it to my HK address. HKID should be all the ID you need. You could always bring some sort of government form or bank statement along too.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
I had a problem opening a HSBC bank account last year. My Canadian address is a PO Box number as I live in a rural area. My drivers license, all bills, tax returns, etc are addressed to my PO Box. I had a letter from my local bank stating that I did not have a physical address as they just don't exist here. HSBC would not accommodate me at all as they 'require' proof of a street address as where I live.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Before when we still have foreign employee we end up going to DBS for bank account. They are cool with company address on contract.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:24 pm

You will need to present your passport too, as they need a proof of your nationality as well.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by WannaFlyJ
I had a problem opening a HSBC bank account last year. My Canadian address is a PO Box number as I live in a rural area. My drivers license, all bills, tax returns, etc are addressed to my PO Box. I had a letter from my local bank stating that I did not have a physical address as they just don't exist here. HSBC would not accommodate me at all as they 'require' proof of a street address as where I live.
If you're a Canadian HSBC Premier client, your Premier Relationship Manager should be able to open an account for you with HSBC Premier in Hong Kong with minimal fuss from Canada. It takes about 2~3 weeks though. You don't even have to fly to HK to do it.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Is there any bank that doesn't charge a 'no account movement' fee? Last time when I compared banks I found out that HSBC and Standard Charter charge $50 for accounts that have very little money in and/or no account activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.