Search

Hong Kong to Macau ferries?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
KLN to Macau:
13:30, 14:30 15:30 16:30 and 19:30 are optional sailings that only operate if the others are more than packed. I know this first hand as I wanted to go 15:30 today and it was not available.
Thanks for the info. That sucks as the HK-China City pier is convenient for those from NW N.T., with its close proximity to the Austin West Rail station. With the reduced sailing, it'll mean taking the bus to Sheung Wan instead.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
I will arrive at HKIA on 17 September 2012 at 09:05 AM (United flight). I will then be going to Macau. Does anyone know what the baggage allowance for the turbojet ferry is? What is the charge for excess baggage?

It appears that Air to Sea one piece of check-in baggage free of charge and excess baggage charges are: HK$60 for the first 2 pieces and HK$90 per piece thereafter.

Does this mean that one can check three bags for HK$60.00?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AC *E, PC plat.
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM

Does this mean that one can check three bags for HK$60.00?
That is the way I read their website, but have no first hand knowledge. As you are air to sea passenger arriving from US (I assume because of the UA flight?)
Air-to-sea passenger:

One piece of check-in baggage free of charge (2 pieces for passengers from the U.S. and Canada)

You should get 2 free checked pieces and your third piece would be charged HK$60.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:59 am

couple of questions

I am flying out of HGK Oct 2 on UA 862 departing 11:30a. Looking thru this thread it appears that I could take the 7:30a Turbojet 8S210 from Macau to HKIA with plenty of time to spare. If I have one checked bag should I be at the Macau ferry terminal about 6:45a?

Will I need a reserved booking on this sailing?

If I miss this sailing and take 8S212 9:15a sailing arriving HKIA about 10am, is that cutting it too tight for the 11:30a United flight?

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by lazybones; Sep 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lazybones
I am flying out of HGK Oct 2 on UA 862 departing 11:30a. Looking thru this thread it appears that I could take the 7:30a Turbojet 8S210 from Macau to HKIA with plenty of time to spare. If I have one checked bag should I be at the Macau ferry terminal about 6:45a?

Will I need a reserved booking on this sailing?

If I miss this sailing and take 8S212 9:15a sailing arriving HKIA about 10am, is that cutting it too tight for the 11:30a United flight?

Thanks for your replies.
Turbojet won't sell you the 915a ticket because you'll be scheduled to arrive at HKG after 930a (2hrs before your flight). Your only option is the earlier sailing. No need to prebook, but won't hurt if you've decided to spend that night in Macau.

Last edited by rkkwan; Sep 25, 2012 at 1:53 am
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:38 pm

thanks for the info!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rkkwan
There are 3 main services between center HK and Macau (not including those from Tuen Mun or HKG):

Turbojet - Sheung Wan and Macau Peninsula, mixture of jetfoil, catamaran and foilcat every 15 minutes, sometimes extra sailings

Cotaijet - Sheung Wan and Taipa, catamaran every 30 minutes

New World First Ferry - Tsim Sha Tsui and Macau Peninsula, catamaran every 30 minutes
Here is my story so others may learn from my mistake!

A friend and I were staying in TST (Sheraton) and went to Macau for the day. We were late getting to the New World First Ferry Terminal and so we were rushed. When my friend ran to purchase tickets (while I hit the loo) they asked if he wanted one-way or round-trip. He bought two 'round trip'.

Well what he really bought was two one-ways: One from NWFF to the Macau Ferry Terminal. But our return was from Macau Taipa on the Cotaijet to the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal (on Hong Kong Island at Sheung Wan, not the NWFF in TST where we departed).

My friend (who was the reason we were running late in the first place) had bought tickets from 'the guy standing in front of the ticket booking office with a stack of tickets in his hand'.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
Here is my story so others may learn from my mistake!

A friend and I were staying in TST (Sheraton) and went to Macau for the day. We were late getting to the New World First Ferry Terminal and so we were rushed. When my friend ran to purchase tickets (while I hit the loo) they asked if he wanted one-way or round-trip. He bought two 'round trip'.

Well what he really bought was two one-ways: One from NWFF to the Macau Ferry Terminal. But our return was from Macau Taipa on the Cotaijet to the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal (on Hong Kong Island at Sheung Wan, not the NWFF in TST where we departed).

My friend (who was the reason we were running late in the first place) had bought tickets from 'the guy standing in front of the ticket booking office with a stack of tickets in his hand'.
I've bought them from a tour operator before with a big group at KLN.
I was only charged $182
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:52 pm

I have read through the thread and think I understand the transfer but hoping someone could confirm...

My wife and I arrive in CX F at 18:50 with Turbojet at 19:50. I assume we are fine (no luggage) if flight is on time but if flight is late next Turbojet is at 22:00.

What is waiting area like- no nice lounge I take it?

That leaves option of clearing immigration, go to Hong Kong and get ferry to Macau Cotai (we are staying at Grand Hyatt).

Does that sound like too much trouble-better to just wait two hours for next ferry at the airport?

Another option is to clear immigration and go to Arrivals lounge- but no reentry to take airport ferry, right? In that case, again we would go to Hong Kong and take Cotai ferry.

Do I have this about right? Is it better to stay at airport airside for two hours or so incase of late arrival or go to city and get ferry from there?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a wash. First, Cotaijet from HK Island to Taipa isn't that frequent, especially in the evening. From 20:00 onwards, it's only once an hour. If you cannot make the 19:50 ferry from HKG, it's unlikely you'll make the 20:00 one.

So, you take the 21:00 ferry direct to Taipa. Though it's closer to the hotel, the sailing time is a little bit longer than from HKG, so total time you save is still just an hour compared to the 22:00 ferry from HKG.

Is getting to your hotel an hour early worth the trouble of going through two sets of immigration, claiming and hauling luggage all the way to HK Island, and so on? To me, no; even if it's ultra-boring sitting at HKG for 2 hours.

Anyways, there's no lounge you can access if you do the ferry from HKG. All your understandings are correct. Before you get to ferry ticket counter at arrivals, there's Pacific Coffee. And at Skypier, there's Starbucks. That's about it.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Having done HKG direct to Macau many times using different ferries I would ^^^^^ to the direct service from HKIA.

• No need to enter and exit HK
  • No need to wait for bags and manually transfer them to pier and to the ferry.
  • Waiting area at HKIA ferry area is much better than any of the in town HK-Macau ferry pier waiting area. The passengers are also more civilized.

I have no direct ferry from Macau to HKIA experience.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 1:53 pm

Thanks very much for the replies. Looks like stay at HKIA is best bet.

Is there wifi at the Starbucks or at the Skypier?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Free wifi at all of HKG. Should include Skypier, though I have no personal experience.

Want to add that if you just miss the 19:50 ferry and really don't want to wait, I suggest going to HK Island, but not to wait for the Cotaijet, unless you're right there befor the 21:00 sailing. Rather, just board the first Turbojet.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Free wifi at all of HKG. Should include Skypier, though I have no personal experience.

Want to add that if you just miss the 19:50 ferry and really don't want to wait, I suggest going to HK Island, but not to wait for the Cotaijet, unless you're right there befor the 21:00 sailing. Rather, just board the first Turbojet.
Are there ATMs between arriving gate and Skypier? I assume credit card is fine for ferry, but since we spend less than two days in Macau, then back to Hong Kong, we might just get some HKD after we land. Also I heard in Macau HKD is accepted as well as MOP?

And to confirm, if we want to go into city to take Macau ferry from there, taxi or A11 bus is best?

Thanks again for help.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by adlibitum
Are there ATMs between arriving gate and Skypier? I assume credit card is fine for ferry, but since we spend less than two days in Macau, then back to Hong Kong, we might just get some HKD after we land. Also I heard in Macau HKD is accepted as well as MOP?

And to confirm, if we want to go into city to take Macau ferry from there, taxi or A11 bus is best?

Thanks again for help.
You might want to enter and exit HK as there aren't any lounges in the SkyPier if you are hungry/thirsty.

Yes you can spend HKD in Macau but MOP is worth less than HKD and you don't get any discount for paying with HKD.
HKG has ATMs.
I can remember SCB, Citi, and HSBC. That's about it.
Credit cards are widely accepted in Macau as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.