Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong to Macau ferries?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:06 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The passport check when boarding ferry at Macau back to HKIA was very thorough (more thorough than they do at HKIA, or maybe just less efficient), so I bet they will not let you board with an "expired" passport. Very annoying these different validity terms, but I ran foul of it once a few years back (not in Macau) and was not permitted to board even though everything else was in order. Getting a new passport issued in Macau would be an experience
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/airpo...uirements.aspx

It's certainly overkill, and it's designed to CYA the checkin staff at upstream ports.

But since upstream check-in are agents of the airlines I guess they are even more risk-prone and may probably insist on it. They also won't be prone to any status/DYKWIA challenges.

Furthermore there's very little to get recourse for wrongly-denied boarding due to overzealous ground staff, so I'd ensure all my documents are in 100% order.

---

I will readily agree you'd have no real problems - in fact per Timatic you'd even be allowed to return home on expired UK passport.

But I don't know whether that overrides Turbojet's requirements - after all they can set a requirement for using the Skypier service that bears no relation to real immigration requirements.

I'd send a query on their online form https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/contact-us.aspx with the below Timatic excerpt and see if they will agree in writing to waive the usual six-month passport rule before relying on Skypier to transport you that day.

Information as of 01OCT16 / 1019 UTC
National United Kingdom (GB)
Embarkation Macao (SAR China) (MO)
Transit Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)
Destination United Kingdom (GB)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Visa required, except for Passengers with a British passport
with nationality of British Citizen shown on the bio-data
page

United Kingdom (GB)

Passport required.
- Passengers with a British passport with nationality of
British Citizen shown on the bio-data page are allowed to
enter with an expired passport.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 1, 2016 at 4:27 am
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Hi - I've had a read through of the thread, but would appreciate your guy's experience.

I'm looking at flights from KIX to HKG - but we will be staying in Macau Conrad.

There are two morning options - 09:30 depart landing 12:55 or 10:00 arriving 13:25.

Now my understanding is that if you have checked baggage - you must arrive 1hr before scheduled departure which will mean we will have to sprint if we get the 9:30 - assuming we're on time is that doable to make the 14:15 ferry or should I just not bother?

Departures after that are really late, so assume I'm better clearing immigration, getting the AirportExpress and then the ferry from downtown?

Looking for advice really as to whether I bother trying to make the short connection or have an extra half hour in bed and go downtown!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:14 pm

Is it possible to board the ferry from Zhongshan to HKIA if my flight does not depart on the same day?

My flight from HKG - NRT leaves at 8:55am, therefore I must resort to taking the last ferry out of China at ~18:00. I do not mind staying at the airport overnight.

How early can I access the terminal/gates considering I have already checked in with no baggage? If I can enter the terminal/lounges after my ferry ride, it will make the trip much more enjoyable.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by brankell5566
Is it possible to board the ferry from Zhongshan to HKIA if my flight does not depart on the same day?
You should be able to do so, given HKG is 24-hour.

My flight from HKG - NRT leaves at 8:55am, therefore I must resort to taking the last ferry out of China at ~18:00. I do not mind staying at the airport overnight.
There are buses.

How early can I access the terminal/gates considering I have already checked in with no baggage? If I can enter the terminal/lounges after my ferry ride, it will make the trip much more enjoyable.
I would say T-24 hours.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If taking ferry to HKIA you have no choice but to go airside which means access the terminal and gate areas ... there is no landside option for ferry arrivals. You must check-in at Skypier (what they call the ferry arrival area at HKIA). There is an important restriction which you will need to check !!!! Passengers who connect to flight departing before 10:15 hrs may take the last ferry of the previous day to SkyPier. Please click here for the list of participating airlines for the early morning connecting flight. http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...prd-ports.html ... there are 12 participating airlines (none are Japanese or US, but CX participates). So depends which airline you are flying to NRT
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
I will readily agree you'd have no real problems - in fact per Timatic you'd even be allowed to return home on expired UK passport.
Ah, but separate from the ferry's requirements, can you pass through Macau departure immigration with an expired passport? Probably not in of itself, plus it would take a very unusual set of circumstances to have an expired passport and not also be an overstayer, since your passport must be valid for 30 days past intended length of stay upon arrival.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by number_6
If taking ferry to HKIA you have no choice but to go airside which means access the terminal and gate areas ... there is no landside option for ferry arrivals. You must check-in at Skypier (what they call the ferry arrival area at HKIA). There is an important restriction which you will need to check !!!! Passengers who connect to flight departing before 10:15 hrs may take the last ferry of the previous day to SkyPier. Please click here for the list of participating airlines for the early morning connecting flight. http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...prd-ports.html ... there are 12 participating airlines (none are Japanese or US, but CX participates). So depends which airline you are flying to NRT
That was immensely helpful. Thank you so much. I will be flying NRT via CX and then to YVR via JL, so I should be good to go!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
From what I've read so far it sounds like our timing will work out, but I'm going to post just to double-check (and reassure Mrs Huge) ... We're scheduled to land HKG at 8:15PM on a non-stop Delta flight from SEA. We'll be flying DeltaOne so should be off the plane quickly. We should be fine to make the last 10:00PM TurboJet sailing to Macau, maybe even if our flight is a *little* late, correct?

And if we get delayed and miss the last boat, we can, somewhat painfully, clear HKG customs and make our way to the HKG terminal which runs ferries all night, albeit infrequently... Right?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by huge
We should be fine to make the last 10:00PM TurboJet sailing to Macau, maybe even if our flight is a *little* late, correct?
Don't assume that, as time is needed for your baggage transfer.

Given DL 39 can be easily delayed. You should look at a 9 pm arrival just to be safe.

FWIW - if you can buy the ticket at the counter, you make it.

And if we get delayed and miss the last boat, we can, somewhat painfully, clear HKG customs and make our way to the HKG terminal which runs ferries all night, albeit infrequently... Right?
Yes and no.

1. The Hong Kong-Macau ferry leaves every 15 minutes until midnight. Its frequency is way much better than the HKG-Macau ferry.

2. Depending on your arrival time, Hong Kong-Macau is usually faster than HKG-Macau given the wait time.

3. The only hassle is a bus ride (Citybus Route A21) and the baggage. Although not a terminal stop, the bus stops right at the Ferry Building.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Don't assume that, as time is needed for your baggage transfer.
The poster didn't mention his baggage situation; if there are checked bags with DL, then I believe you have to buy the ferry ticket 60 minutes prior to departure so Turbojet has time to collect the bags and transfer them to the ferry.

Looks like they also have a SuperFlex option, where if you don't connect well to a direct ferry, they'll bus you over to the terminal in Sheung Wan and you can get on the next available boat.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The poster didn't mention his baggage situation; if there are checked bags with DL, then I believe you have to buy the ferry ticket 60 minutes prior to departure so Turbojet has time to collect the bags and transfer them to the ferry.
If there is no baggage, unless the time is right, it costs more time and money taking the HKG ferry. I would say it is safe to assume that OP has baggage.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Looks like they also have a SuperFlex option, where if you don't connect well to a direct ferry, they'll bus you over to the terminal in Sheung Wan and you can get on the next available boat.
That option is super expensive. And I would say it is not the best way to experience Hong Kong/Macau.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by garykung
If there is no baggage, unless the time is right, it costs more time and money taking the HKG ferry. I would say it is safe to assume that OP has baggage.
[Sorry, got sidetracked by other travel planning]

Thanks for all the replies. And yes, we'll have checked bags.

It sounds like we'll *probably* be alright but nowhere near certainty, and if our flight is delayed we'll just have to make the longer customs-bus-ferry journey.
We changed our lodging from AirBnB in Macau to a hotel so it won't be a disaster if we arrive well after midnight.

can someone either give me or point me at exact instructions for what we would have to do if we miss the last TruJet ferry?

Thanks again
-huge
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can someone either give me or point me at exact instructions for what we would have to do if we miss the last TruJet ferry?
Read this leaflet first:

https://www.hongkongairport.com/leaflet/skypier.pdf

1. Once you are confirmed NO GO for HKG>Macau, return to Immigration behind you.

2. Pass through Immigration, Collect your baggage, and Go through Customs.

3. Make sure you have HKD$ or Octopus Card with enough balance (Octopus Card can be purchased at an Airport Express ticket counter).

4. Walk towards Airport Bus Terminus (aka Ground Transportation Centre).

5. Take Citybus Cityflyer Route A11 (or NA11 if after 12:30 am). A11 costs $40 and NA11 costs $52. No change provided.

See here for the positions of the bus stop:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/leafl...cation_map.jpg

6. Get off at "Macau Ferry, Sheung Wan Station" Bus Stop. This is the 3rd stop after leaving the airport.

7. Get into the building and look for directions inside for the ticket office.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Thank you for this great thread. I think I'm coming to terms with exactly how a Macau-HKG transfer works. I'd love if someone could check my logic.

I have a 10:30am flight out of HKG on Air China and am planning to take the 7:15am Cotai Ferry service to HKG (the first of the day). The ferry company says the ferry takes 65 minutes to the airport, which would put me into Skypier at 8:20. It seems for Air China that the MCT for arriving at Skypier is 110minutes before departure (which seems rather excessive). This would only leave me 20 minutes to complete checkin formalities and checkin my luggage, if I'm understanding this correctly. Is the 110 minutes MCT a baggage cut off time or is it advisory?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.