Flight/Hotel tips BRU - HKG for NYE 2011?

Subscribe
Hi

I'm considering taking the gf to HK for new year's. I would like to fly business but am not prepared to spend >€2000 p.p. on a flight. The cheapest economy flights are with Qatar Airways at around €900 p.p.

Does anybody have any recommendations on what is the best way to get upgrades? I have some 110k AmEx points I could put to use for this.

What are the recommended airlines for this route, with a nice business class? Can I upgrade to business for less than 110k AmEx points for two people?

Hotelwise I am currently considering W or The Mira. Any thoughts?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

tnx
tom
You are aware that Western New Year is not a major event in Hong Kong? The big event is Chinese New Year.
I wasn't actually.
Now considering Tokyo or Bangkok
Although Tokyo seems particularly expensive around (western) NYE.
Quote: You are aware that Western New Year is not a major event in Hong Kong? The big event is Chinese New Year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGEtCukFLfs&feature=fvst

HK has a very good NYE, plenty of great dinners hosted and plenty of apres dinner opportunities !
In answer to your upgrade question, I think it's unlikely you could get a round trip upgrade for two for 110k Amex points. Most European carriers have a lousy, or even no, upgrade program.

In fact, 2000 Euros for a round trip business class ticket from BRU to HKG sounds like a pretty good price, it's probably at that low level because you are buying well in advance and travelling during the holiday season.

In most countries, you can use your Amex points as a credit against the total if you book the ticket through Amex travel, that might make it work for you depending on the "exchange rate."

Of the three cities you name, Bangkok will clearly be significantly cheaper than the other two for land costs.
Sorry, but less than 5 minutes of glorified (and relatively quiet) sparklers from those buildings really isn't in the same league as the 20+ minutes of proper (and noisy) fireworks that we have on Chinese New Year (and Chinese National Day).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcSklXo6JY

But I guess the secret to happiness is low expectations.
Quote: Sorry, but less than 5 minutes of glorified (and relatively quiet) sparklers from those buildings really isn't in the same league as the 20+ minutes of proper (and noisy) fireworks that we have on Chinese New Year (and Chinese National Day).

And there's no major countdown party or concerts along the harbor front. Bigger parties are at LKF and Times Square where you can't see the above lightshow.
Use the 1800 euros to load up on US Airways miles during their current 100% bonus on purchased miles promo. Use the miles to get business or first class awards on a *A carrier. Details in the US Airways forum.
Quote: Sorry, but less than 5 minutes of glorified (and relatively quiet) sparklers from those buildings really isn't in the same league as the 20+ minutes of proper (and noisy) fireworks that we have on Chinese New Year (and Chinese National Day).

Fair enough, but having been out in HK on New Year's I can happily say it is quite a party! There are more than enough Black Tie dinners etc. that eventually turn into debauchery! CNY is a blast though and I love the fact that they put up the Christmas lights and the CNY lights at the same time hahah.
Quote: Fair enough, but having been out in HK on New Year's I can happily say it is quite a party! There are more than enough Black Tie dinners etc. that eventually turn into debauchery! CNY is a blast though and I love the fact that they put up the Christmas lights and the CNY lights at the same time hahah.
The lights are different. Sometime in January, all the buildings and malls will switch from the Christmas lights and decorations to the CNY ones.