Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HK: W or Hyatt TST

Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt looks like a better location, but W looks more interesting. Both are about the same price, and I have status at SPG and Hyatt. Which would you choose?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
If you're top tier with both, I'd probably choose the Hyatt. W has great Plat recognition (read: upgrades) but do not offer any breakfast. If you don't really care about breakfast, then the W is a far newer hotel and I'd probably swing that way, then.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I should probably also mention i'm in my mid-20s and prefer to stay away from the older/family crowd if possible. Typically the W would offer this, but I wouldn't necessarily be willing to sacrifice quality or location.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:19 pm

The problem with the W is the location, and where it is actually connected to. The mall (Elements), while (very) high end, is full of mainland visitors and families. It definitely doesn't feel like a W the number of times I've visited out that way. I think either in the Hyatt or at the W, you may be stuck with screaming children and shoppers....
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:47 pm

Any elite considerations aside, Hyatt is located in the middle of TST - you come out of the door and be surrounded by thousands of people walking in various directions at any time day or night, mostly locals, and it's a relatively short walk to Start Ferry when you want to go to HK island side. Elements mall is huge and has a ton of things to do and W is probably a newer hotel but it it gets slower late at night and to get to HK side it is easier to take MTR (subway) whereby the ferry is a great experience especially at night when all the buildings light up...I'd say if you like "mingling with people" do the Hyatt, if you consider yourself more of "upscale" kind of person, do the W.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

This is good feedback. It sounds like it would be better to expand my horizons perhaps? The IC in TST is hard to beat in terms of location - and especially if the crowd is going to be the same as at the W - that may be the best bet for the price. I haven't been focusing on the island side as much since rates generally increase rapidly.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:01 pm

I'm not so certain about the prices at the W or the IC vs. hotels in Central or Admiralty. I mean, given the choice, and elite considerations aside, I'd inevitably prefer being on the Island side...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:29 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
W is actually very convenient to the airport express line, and MTR to most destinations with 1 stop in Central.

I stayed one night at Sheraton TST and one night at W, and both had good aspects.

Sheraton - stayed on the night of arrival, in the center of everything, Star Ferry, room overlooked the harbor - beautiful.

W - stayed on the night of departure, connected to convenient medium and high end shopping malls, so no going outside to get sweaty on the morning of departure, and then just a walk downstairs to check-in and board the airport express train! Upgraded to a very nice room overlooking the industrial harbor to the west - full of construction barges and activity.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by cyby
I'm not so certain about the prices at the W or the IC vs. hotels in Central or Admiralty. I mean, given the choice, and elite considerations aside, I'd inevitably prefer being on the Island side...
Cheers - being around the same age as the OP, and given that I've been to HK five times before as a tourist, I'd definitely choose a hotel on the HK side...the only time I've stayed at a hotel on Kowloon and been happy was a Sheraton Towers trip with a Harbour view on my honeymoon...otherwise, especially if you are young and want to be where the action is, stay on the island.

-jeremy
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Ok, I am starting to be swayed to the island side. Any recommendations? I like causeway bay, as it's a little less serious than central, but it seems more limited in options.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If by "action" you mean Lan Kwai Fong, then TST (the W or anywhere adjacent to TST MTR) is closer than Causeway Bay!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
If by "action" you mean Lan Kwai Fong, then TST (the W or anywhere adjacent to TST MTR) is closer than Causeway Bay!
Where would you stay?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by christep
The problem with that is the MTR shuts down after 1am, and the "action" lasts far far later than that. Plus, there is WC still :P Nominally speaking TST is a tad closer, but getting back across the harbour after a certain hour isn't as easy.

All things being the same I'd still stick around CWB or Admiralty/Central (If I have a nice enough budget)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.