Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

5 Hour 20 Min Layover in Hong Kong

5 Hour 20 Min Layover in Hong Kong

Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Take Airport Express to HONG KONG, not Kowloon, people. Even if you're going to Tsim Sha Tsui. The Central Pier of the Star Ferry is 5 minutes walk from HK Station while it is a shuttle/taxi or long 20 minutes walk (if you can even find your way - this local couldn't) to the Tsim Sha Tsui Pier from the Kowloon Station.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Take Airport Express to HONG KONG, not Kowloon, people. Even if you're going to Tsim Sha Tsui. The Central Pier of the Star Ferry is 5 minutes walk from HK Station while it is a shuttle/taxi or long 20 minutes walk (if you can even find your way - this local couldn't) to the Tsim Sha Tsui Pier from the Kowloon Station.
I was wanting to just walk along the Tsim Sha Tsui and return. So I was thinking of getting off at Kowloon, and taking a taxi to TST and back because I'm thinking that would be quicker than taking the ferry. And it feels like I'd be more in control of the time. Would you still recommend I get off at Central instead and take the ferry to TST, back to Central, and then catch the train back?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RemoteControl
Would you still recommend I get off at Central instead and take the ferry to TST, back to Central, and then catch the train back?
YES! Because the faster and easier way to get from the Airport Express train to the TST Promenade is by Star Ferry from HK side. And NOT from the Kowloon Station.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by rkkwan

Would that be quicker than getting the A21 bus?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris19992
Would that be quicker than getting the A21 bus?
Likely, bus takes an hour to get to TST. Train takes 23 minutes, and then 5-7 minute walk to pier, then ferry runs every 6-8 minutes or so for the 5 minute ride. And the point is, why wouldn't one want to take the Star Ferry? I have taken it for 40+ years, and even today, I still enjoy every single ride on it.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
The way they are chipping away at the harbour on the HK side, soon you will be able to walk from the Island to TST !
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by RemoteControl
Sorry to resurrect a super old thread, but I'm in the same situation, and would love to know if/how your trip went.

I have about 4hr:45min in HKG, never been there, and would really like to see at least a little of it. Kowloon seems like the best option. I'm okay even if I have say, 20mins to take in the view, then head back to the airport.

Were you able to do this successfully? Any tips?
I agree you should head to Central not Kowloon.

I think you have two choices for a 'taste' of Hong Kong in one hour. You could either take the star ferry to TST... an immediate turn-around followed by a quick browse of the attached shopping mall.

Alternatively, and given the ferry ride is so short these days, I'd walk up from Central and catch a tram towards Happy Valley. Sitting on the upper deck, front row, will give you great views of not only the new buildings, but also the tiny side streets, historical buildings, and general hustle and bustle and colourful signs.

I'd probably go as far as Wan Chai or Causeway Bay, and then turn around and head back (you could even take the underground back if you wanted). Have the cash fare ready to go before you board.

It's a tough choice between the two, but I'd probably take the tram for more of an immersion into the island. The views from the ferry, while great, can be seen in photos and the ride really is very short.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
While the tram will give you the best feel in terms of sights and sounds of Hong Kong on the Island side, I would not recommend it if you are doing it during a scheduled layover.

The tram is more so at the mercy of the traffic as it cannot just pull over and pass or divert around any traffic blockages.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
when i was in HK last October/November, the area from Causeway Bay to Central resembled a car park, with horrendous traffic problems. This may well have been caused by the Umbrella Movement protests that were at their height at that time. My suggestion is that you take the Airport Express to Kowloon Station followed by a taxi ride to the Star Ferry. Take the Ferry over to Wan Chai and head for the Sportful Garden Restaurant(about 10 mins slow walk) on Fleming Road, for some really good dim sum and finally head back to Hong Kong Station to catch the AE back to the airport

Last edited by steveben53; Mar 26, 2015 at 12:21 am
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
While the tram will give you the best feel in terms of sights and sounds of Hong Kong on the Island side, I would not recommend it if you are doing it during a scheduled layover.

The tram is more so at the mercy of the traffic as it cannot just pull over and pass or divert around any traffic blockages.
there's usually a subway station not too far away... easy to get the train back if there's any traffic issues.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Have the cash fare ready to go before you board.
Just an observation, lest anyone be confused, that on the trams you pay when you get off (at the front of the tram), not when you get on (at the back of the tram). No change given. HK$2.30.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there's usually a subway station not too far away... easy to get the train back if there's any traffic issues.
For a first time tourist on a short layover; what is the chance that they will find the MTR entrance?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
For a first time tourist on a short layover; what is the chance that they will find the MTR entrance?
with a map in hand (available from the arrivals hall at HKG) - pretty easy! The one in Wan Chai for example is clearly marked and right on the tram lines.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with a map in hand (available from the arrivals hall at HKG) - pretty easy! The one in Wan Chai for example is clearly marked and right on the tram lines.
If you are near Southorn Playground, yes. At other points maybe not.
Try finding it west of Luard or East of Fleming/O'Brien.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.