Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship and passports

Dual citizenship and passports

Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I use my Canadian passport to enter any place except one that costs me more money to do so.
The only real use that I can get out of it is the USA as anywhere else I normally travel is just fine with using a HK passport.
(That being said, in case of an evacuation, I would rather be returned to Canada rather than HK/Britain)
Country-when asked about it, I will simply show the entry stamps of the other passport and ask them to go to some South American countries visa free.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
(That being said, in case of an evacuation, I would rather be returned to Canada rather than HK/Britain)
Just for reference, the showing of a Canadian passport is sufficient for being evacuated to Canada, and there is no need to use it to enter a country - the passport already proves that you are Canadian, and using another passport doesn't forfeit your identity. This was the case with Lebanese Canadians in 2006.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Talking about responses, FWIW - the worst is not Philippine government, but Canadian Government? We all know how worst is Philippine government in response of this tragedy. How about Canadian Government? When Canadian were involved, did the Canadian Embassy do anything at all? Nothing.
Originally Posted by CX HK
Sorry, I am still continually baffled at the assumption that somehow using a Canadian passport would equate to Canadian troops parachuting in and rescuing all those with Canadian passports, while those with foreign (or HKSAR) passports would be unlucky because they lost their protection.
If a Canadian does not use his/her Canadian passport to enter the country, he/she is not entitled to Canadian consular protection and assistance in that country. AFAIK this is the international protocol. This warning is also posted at the Canadian gov't's travel web site. He/she will be entitled to consular assistance and protection from the issuing country of the passport used to enter the country. Canada allows dual/multiple citizenship.

The Leungs did not use their Canadian passports to enter the Philippines and hence forfeited their entitlement to Canadian consular protection and assistance whilst in the Philippines. That's their choice. No right or wrong answer. If Canadian consular officials in Manila were able to get involved, the outcome may be different but we shall never know.

Furthermore, Canadians are urged to register their foreign travel itineraries with Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada before the trip and will be provided with e-mail address and telephone no. to the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa that is manned 7/24, as well as the contact information of the local Canadian consulate in the countries visiting. The Leungs obviously did not do so.

One may interpret the outcome in the way one wants. The fact was, the two British pensioners who used their U.K. passports to enter the Philippines were released unharmed.

We must first clarify whether one is entitlted to Canadian consular protection and assistance or not. Entry into the country using a Canadian passport is usually the pre-requisite with a few exceptions, usually in cases of dual nationality. If one is entitled, then we can talk about what the Canadian consular officials may be able to help. If one is not entitled (such as the Leungs who did not use their Canadian passports to enter the Philippines), the rest is moot.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 16, 2013 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:39 pm

Clipper801, perhaps you may be right. I am not exactly sure how the official lettering is written by the Canadian government; however, I know that in 2006, thousands upon thousands of Canadian citizens who went back to live in Lebanon did not use their Canadian passports to enter the country. When they needed evacuation from Lebanon, however, the Canadian government gave all of them a lift, not just those who actually entered using their Canadian passports.

However, it is this quote that I take issue with the most:

Originally Posted by Clipper801
One may interpret the outcome in the way one wants. The fact was, the two British pensioners who used their U.K. passports to enter the Philippines were released unharmed.
No, one may not interpret the outcome in either way because a) the nationality of the pensioners were unknown to the Philippine government and the murderer at all times and b) the reasons for being released were because of her sickness. What about the young kids who were released? Were they released because they were young? Of course - no one is spinning it the way of "3 kids were released, they were HKSAR passport holders, therefore it is up to interpretation".
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: Alitalia Mille Miglia, KLM/Air France Flying Blue, Aegean Miles&Bonus, Priority Club, HHonors
I cannot stress enough that the passport is a travel document, and the brandishing of a Western passport will not make a deranged murderer suddenly throw his hands up and surrender.
i totally agree with you. i meant to say that it seems a lot of Canadians think their passport is the Holy Grail when in fact most of the rest of the world could care less. i have read articles with quotes from Canadian politicians saying that immigrants want a Canadian passport because it means they will get paid double salary in their jobs. this kind of self-serving nationalism is absurd. i can tell you for a fact that having a Canadian passport in the EU disqualifies you from working across the continent, so I would like to know which countries in which part of the world are paying double if you have a Canadian passport.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by c0untryb0y
i totally agree with you. i meant to say that it seems a lot of Canadians think their passport is the Holy Grail when in fact most of the rest of the world could care less.
Sounds like the mentality of a lot - not all - immigrants to Canada/USA/Australia from HK.

Besides, when was the last time someone using HKSAR passports were not afforded decent support from the HK government?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Alitalia Mille Miglia, KLM/Air France Flying Blue, Aegean Miles&Bonus, Priority Club, HHonors
Sounds like the mentality of a lot - not all - immigrants to Canada/USA/Australia from HK.

Besides, when was the last time someone using HKSAR passports were not afforded decent support from the HK government?
I don't know I'm not familiar with HK. I would assume however that HK government assistance is underrated in comparison to Canadian assistance which is ovverated. I'm proud to have a passport that allows me the freedom to not have to register my itinerary with the embassy and such.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Just for reference, the showing of a Canadian passport is sufficient for being evacuated to Canada, and there is no need to use it to enter a country - the passport already proves that you are Canadian, and using another passport doesn't forfeit your identity. This was the case with Lebanese Canadians in 2006.
FWIW - Canadian Passport is not a valid proof of citizenship within Canada, according to official document.

We must first clarify whether one is entitlted to Canadian consular protection and assistance or not.
Lives were in danger - and the Government still had to figure out eligibility of assistance or not?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:48 am

No, one may not interpret the outcome in either way because a) the nationality of the pensioners were unknown to the Philippine government and the murderer at all times
Sorry, how do you know (that the Philippine government did not know)? Source?

How do you know that the British consulate in Manila was not already working in the background?

I was merely pointing out the fact without speculation that the two U.K. pensioners who were travelling on their U.K. passport was released unharmed. I shall stop there without going further.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 am

Lives were in danger - and the Government still had to figure out eligibility of assistance or not?
Unfortunately, in some situations, by international diplomatic protocol, your gov't may not be able (allowed?) to assist you in a foreign land even if your live is in danger.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:05 am

FWIW - Canadian Passport is not a valid proof of citizenship within Canada, according to official document.
We are talking about an incident in a foreign land, not within Canada.

What's your point?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:07 am

I don't know I'm not familiar with HK. I would assume however that HK government assistance is underrated in comparison to Canadian assistance which is ovverated. I'm proud to have a passport that allows me the freedom to not have to register my itinerary with the embassy and such.
Good observation. Since those victims were travelling on HKSAR passports, I had wondered what assistance was provided by the PRC consular officials in Manila during the hostage crisis.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:11 am

The discussion here was why didn't the Canadian consular officials played a more significant role during the hostage crisis to assist the Leungs who held dual Canadian and Chinese nationality.

The answer was that the Leungs did not use their Canadian passports to travel to the Philippines and therefore, by international diplomatic protocol, the Canadian consular officials were precluded from providing consular assistance and protection to them. The Leungs travelled to the Philippines with their HKSAR passports, it's the PRC consular officials' "responsibility".

Would the outcome have been different? We shall never know and there is no point to speculate.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:22 am

The discussion here was why didn't the Canadian consular officials played a more significant role during the hostage crisis to assist the Leungs who held dual Canadian and Chinese nationality.

The answer was that the Leungs did not use their Canadian passports to travel to the Philippines and therefore, by international diplomatic protocol, the Canadian consular officials were precluded from providing consular assistance and protection to them. The Leungs travelled to the Philippines with their HKSAR passports, it's the PRC consular officials' "responsibility".

Would the outcome have been different? We shall never know and there is no point to speculate.
Precluded by who exactly?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
i totally agree with you. i meant to say that it seems a lot of Canadians think their passport is the Holy Grail when in fact most of the rest of the world could care less. i have read articles with quotes from Canadian politicians saying that immigrants want a Canadian passport because it means they will get paid double salary in their jobs. this kind of self-serving nationalism is absurd. i can tell you for a fact that having a Canadian passport in the EU disqualifies you from working across the continent, so I would like to know which countries in which part of the world are paying double if you have a Canadian passport.
Those politicians ate ignorant and have never talked or been an immigrant themselves.
(Then again, it's not surprising. What is surprising is that the ROC voted them in. I voted NDP so don't blame me.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.