Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship and passports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual citizenship and passports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tentseller
No, ministry of foreign affairs only can deal with Canadians who declare themselves as such in foreign country by entering with a Canadian passport. Hon E MacKay stated that there is only so much the Canadian government can do for they are not legally Canadian by their voluntary act of using the HK-SAR travel documents for entry while they are in PH.
I can't understand your logic, which will imply that any such dual Canadians or Americans or whatever cannot be serviced by the embassies and consulates just because they entered a second or third country as non Canadians or Americans or whatever? This would imply that they can't renew their passports or register to vote as overseas voters!

The Philippine government could say "they are not Canadians", but when the HK press reported their identities, and the Greater Toronto community became aware, and their Canadian identity became public, what can stop consular officials from assisting beside the local government and the victims themselves?

From what I've seen quoted on this thread and on GC's website, it only says "you can encounter difficulties", not "we can't help you".

Originally Posted by tentseller
Travelers with HK-SAR document does not have the same assistance or protection as a full PRC citizen with a PRC passport.
How so? HKSAR holders are full PRC citizens. I can see how assistance and protection are different. Citizenship services may be different because they do not have mainland hukou and PRC agencies cannot directly issue them documents.

Last edited by HkCaGu; Oct 5, 2010 at 3:26 am Reason: added one paragraph
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I can't understand your logic, which will imply that any such dual Canadians or Americans or whatever cannot be serviced by the embassies and consulates just because they entered a second or third country as non Canadians or Americans or whatever? This would imply that they can't renew their passports or register to vote as overseas voters!

The Philippine government could say "they are not Canadians", but when the HK press reported their identities, and the Greater Toronto community became aware, and their Canadian identity became public, what can stop consular officials from assisting beside the local government and the victims themselves?

From what I've seen quoted on this thread and on GC's website, it only says "you can encounter difficulties", not "we can't help you".

How so? HKSAR holders are full PRC citizens. I can see how assistance and protection are different. Citizenship services may be different because they do not have mainland hukou and PRC agencies cannot directly issue them documents.
Don't mix up Canadian citizens with American citizens. Each country "negotiates" it own Consular Agreement individually with each country that it establishes diplomatic relation. The treatment between Canadian and American citizens of Chinese origin whilst they are in China may be entirely different. I am not familiar with the Americans but based on information posted at the DFAIT web site, it is imperative that in order to be entitled to Canadian consular protection and assistance, they must enter China with their Canadian passports. If they do not, they forfeit such rights. It's the individual choice of the traveller. It's common knowledge that many folks use their HRP card to visit China in order to save a few $$ on visa fee, this is their choice and we need to respect that. However, the downside is that in case of an emergency, they will not have access to Canadian consular services. As far as the Consular Agreement between Canada and the Phillippines, I do not know the detail. However, at the DFAIT web site, it is clearly pointed out if a Canadian uses a travel document other than a Canadian passport to enter a third country, Canadian consular protection and assistance whilst in that third country may be problematic and Canadians are urged to enquire in advance of their trip with the diplomatic representatives of the countries intending to visit.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu

No logic, just what happens in the real world when S**t happens and you need major help.

You will be surprise at the difference between Real PRC citizens and PRC citizens of HK.

There is no need for logical debates, this is what happens in the real world. I had many experience that I can tell you but I will have to kill you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA, EI & VS
I too agree that if you are Canadian and you enter a country with ur HKSAR passport, you do not get consular assistance from Canada but that of HK.

It's the legal position, when you enter a country you present proof to that country you are a national of somewhere, it's designed that if something does happen, their immigration dept can locate ur file and contact the country that you are a national of. In a crisis, you can't pick and choose which national you are just because u have dual citizenship.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
OP got HK passport autographed by Thai immigration - no problems getting into LOS. Next up Malaysia this weekend
Final update from OP.

Just flew into HK last night. Got stamps courtesy of Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia - went through immigration each time without any problems. My HK passport will now be 'retired', except for when visiting Jakarta again [avoid VOA for US passport].

Thanks for everyone's earlier help.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
US/Thai national traveling to Brazil - which passport to use?

Reading this post has made me reconsider my previous strategy. I am dual citizen and passport holder of the US and Thailand. I have never used my Thai passport. However, we are traveling to Brazil next May, and that country allows Thai nationals in without a visa. Does that mean I would only have protection/services of the Thai consulate, if something were to go awry? Or should I pony up the extra ~ $200 to obtain a 10-year US visa?

I think I would check in with United in PDX using my Thai passport, correct? I had planned on entering/departing Brazil on the Thai passport, then and re-entering the US on my US passport.

Thanks for your insights.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ptpinit
Does that mean I would only have protection/services of the Thai consulate, if something were to go awry?
Yes
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by ptpinit
Reading this post has made me reconsider my previous strategy. I am dual citizen and passport holder of the US and Thailand. I have never used my Thai passport. However, we are traveling to Brazil next May, and that country allows Thai nationals in without a visa. Does that mean I would only have protection/services of the Thai consulate, if something were to go awry? Or should I pony up the extra ~ $200 to obtain a 10-year US visa?

I think I would check in with United in PDX using my Thai passport, correct? I had planned on entering/departing Brazil on the Thai passport, then and re-entering the US on my US passport.

Thanks for your insights.
The standard decision for me and my team members are:
  • How safe is the area we are going to?
  • How easy it is to enter this country with the different passports? Cost in terms of money, time and other issues. If we are travelling as a team we all enter using US/Canadian passports.
  • What is the chance of something going massively wrong that would require consulate assistance? In terms of safety of the destination and your activities.
    Bear in mind that if you participate in illicit activities base on the law of the country the only consulate assistance is legal defense in their court of law.
  • Which consulate would give me/us the best assistance/protection?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Re/ Malaysia
I am constantly being told that I should not travel to Malaysia with more than one country's passport in my possession, but in a dozen or more entries to the country this year, I can't say that I've ever exchanged a word with entry or departure immigration officers beyond Hello and Thank you, let alone be asked whether or not I have a second passport.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a HK Permanent ID Card as well as a US passport and a Canadian Passport. I have always used my US passport when entering or transiting via the US and use my Canadian Passport when re-entering Canada. I have always used my HKPIC when entering the SAR and have never attempted using neither my US nor Canadian passport. I am thankful that being HK-born thus in possesion of a HKPIC myself, I do not have to endure those extensive waits at the visitor queue at HKIA whenever I fly back to the SAR.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I have a HK Permanent ID Card as well as a US passport and a Canadian Passport.... <snip>

I am thankful that being HK-born thus in possesion of a HKPIC myself, I do not have to endure those extensive waits at the visitor queue at HKIA whenever I fly back to the SAR.
I wish I had a HKPIC so I could live in Hong Kong permanently, but for the purpose of going through passport control at HKG, I have the handy HK Immigration barcode on the back of my US passport that lets me use the electronic gates that HKPIC holders use - great for beating those queues.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
I wish I had a HKPIC so I could live in Hong Kong permanently, but for the purpose of going through passport control at HKG, I have the handy HK Immigration barcode on the back of my US passport that lets me use the electronic gates that HKPIC holders use - great for beating those queues.
That's fine & good if you have carryons only and skipping the wait for luggage at the carousel. Otherwise, even if yours are tagged priority ir or special handling being F or B/J class, etc. - there's still a wait (besides, I believe they must allow time to let the Customs 4 legged patrol do a sweep first while it's coming off the plane)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
That's fine & good if you have carryons only and skipping the wait for luggage at the carousel. Otherwise, even if yours are tagged priority ir or special handling being F or B/J class, etc. - there's still a wait (besides, I believe they must allow time to let the Customs 4 legged patrol do a sweep first while it's coming off the plane)
Luggage off HKG is usually faster than going through the immigration lines for non-residents. With one exception since Cheklapkok opened I have always claimed my checked bags (priority or otherwise) and got on my way before most passengers (i.e. visitors) can get through to baggage claim.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've witnessed this as well. Quite often we would see our fellow cabin pax queue at the visitors line but by the time we were done getting all our luggages, they still have not reached the carousel.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Luggage off HKG is usually faster than going through the immigration lines for non-residents. With one exception since Cheklapkok opened I have always claimed my checked bags (priority or otherwise) and got on my way before most passengers (i.e. visitors) can get through to baggage claim.
just to make sure you dont sit on row 6X-7X in whY/last few rows of plane?

i usually sit on row 3X (first rows in whY) and usually have a short wait if my bags arent priority tagged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.