Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Unofficial List of FFPs eligible for e-Channel as of January 21, 2017:

1. oneworld

American Airlines (AA) - Gold/Platinum/Platinum Pro*/Executive Platinum/ConciergeKey
British Airways (BA) - Silver/Gold/Premier
Cathay Pacific/DragonAir (CX/KA) – Green#/Silver/Gold/Diamond
Finnair (AY) - Silver/Gold/Platinum/VIP
Japan Airlines (JL) - Crystal/Sapphire/Diamond/JGC Card/JGC Sapphire/JGC Premier
Malaysia Airlines (MH) - Silver/Gold/Platinum
Qantas Airways (QF) - Gold/Platinum/Platinum One*/Chairman’s Lounge
Qatar Airways (QR) - Gold/Platinum*
S7 Airlines (S7) - Silver/Gold/Platinum

2. SkyTeam

Air France/KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (AF/KL) - Silver/Gold/Platinum/Club 2000/Club 2000 Skipper
China Airlines (CI) - Gold/Emerald/Paragon
China Southern Airlines (CZ) – Silver Card/Gold Card
Delta Air Lines (DL) - Silver Medallion!/Gold Medallion!/Platinum Medallion!/Diamond Medallion!
Garuda Indonesia Airlines (GA) - Silver/Gold/Platinum
Korean Air (KE) - Morning Calm/Morning Calm Premium/Million Miler

3. Star Alliance

Air Canada (AC) - Prestige 25K!/Elite 35K!/Elite 50K*/Elite 75K*/Super Elite 100K!
Air China (CA) - Silver/Gold/Platinum
Air New Zealand (NZ) - Silver/Gold/Elite
All Nippon Airways (NH) - Bronze/Platinum/Diamond/Super Flyer Club
Asiana Airlines (OZ) - Gold/Diamond/Diamond Plus/Platinum
Ethiopian Airlines (ET) - Silver/Gold
EVA Airways (BR) – Silver/Gold/Diamond
Lufthansa/Swiss International Air Lines (LH/LX)@ - Frequent Traveler/Senator/HON Circle
Singapore Airlines (SQ) – KrisFlyer Gold/PPS/Solitaire PPS
South African Airways (SA)– Gold/Platinum/Lifetime Platinum
Thai Airways (TG)- Silver/Gold/Platinum
Turkish Airlines (TK) - Classic Plus/Elite/Elite Plus
United Airlines (UA) - Premier Silver/Premier Gold/Premier 1K/ Global Services

4. Non-alliance

Hainan Airlines/Hong Kong Airlines/Hong Kong Express (HU/HX/UO) - Silver Card/Gold Card/Platinum Card*
Jet Airways (9W)- Silver/Gold/Platinum
Philippines Airlines (PR) - Classic#!/Elite/Premier Elite/Million Miler
Royal Brunei Airlines (BI) - Gold Elite
Virgin Atlantic Airways (VS)- Silver/Gold

Key:
  • # - Base level (non-status)
  • * - New levels not included in ID's list but should be qualified.
  • ! - Current name for the status levels
  • @ - Miles & More is also the FFP for Adria/Austrian Airlines/Brussels Airlines/Croatia Airlines/LOT Polish Airlines. They are not included in ID's list but should be qualified.

Note:
  • Please refer to Immigration Department's website for the enrollment eligibility (Select "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors"), as well as the hours and locations of the enrollment offices. As of October 2, 2018, airport hours are North Hall: 7:30a-11:00p and South Hall: 10:00a-6:00p, and Immigration Building, Wan Chai, M-F 8:45a-5p.
  • If your FFP is not included above, assume that you are not qualified to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors" through your FFP membership. You may be still eligible to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors" if 1) you are a visitor using either HKSAR Travel Pass or APEC Business Travel Card with HKG endorsement; 2) you have entered and exited via HKG more than 3 times within last 12 months of the enrollment;
  • If you are not qualified to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors", you may be still eligible to enroll e-Channel Service through a qualified travel document (Australian Passport/German Passport/Singaporean Passport/ROK Passport/Mainland Exit-Entry Permit with qualified endorsements/Macau ID);
  • Kingfisher Airlines (IT) is included in ID's list but excluded above as it has ceased operation.
  • Anecdotal reports suggest a physical (i.e. non-digital) FFP membership card is REQUIRED to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors" through your FFP membership.
  • Electronic FF cards are accepted.
  • E-Channel renewals/transfers onto a new passport involve taking your old sticker off your expired passport and transferring it to the new passport. New stickers are still issued for first time enrollees.
Print Wikipost

Apply for E-Channel with FF status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I renewed in June after my first passport expired. Fortunately immigration lines were short.

I entered through the normal lines and (after asking for the enrolment center) turned right to head to the open processing office rather than exiting. I went in with new passport and qualifying FF program card. Process completed very quickly and they recognized that it was a "renewal" and finger prints were not taken as they were "on file".

Relatively painless.
I wonder if it might be easier to enter with your old enrolled passport before it expires, then in the enrollment office show both old passport with bar code sticker and new passport?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
I wonder if it might be easier to enter with your old enrolled passport before it expires, then in the enrollment office show both old passport with bar code sticker and new passport?

That is not possible. Once you renew your passport, your previous one becomes invalid, even if it is not yet expired. Assuming we are talking about a US passport, yes, the Passport Agency mails it back to you as a keepsake, but it is stamped "CANCELED" and the MRZ has holes punched in it. The airlines will no longer swipe it to issue boarding passes. It would cause BIG problems if you were to try to enter HK using an expired passort, even if the barcode were still attached to the back.

I think the best option is to do what Fred suggests--wait in line the first time, get processed manually with the new passport, and then go to the eChannel enrollment centre. Perhaps bring the old expired passport as proof that you are simply renewing eChannel membership.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That is not possible. Once you renew your passport, your previous one becomes invalid, even if it is not yet expired. Assuming we are talking about a US passport, yes, the Passport Agency mails it back to you as a keepsake, but it is stamped "CANCELED" and the MRZ has holes punched in it. The airlines will no longer swipe it to issue boarding passes. It would cause BIG problems if you were to try to enter HK using an expired passort, even if the barcode were still attached to the back.

I think the best option is to do what Fred suggests--wait in line the first time, get processed manually with the new passport, and then go to the eChannel enrollment centre. Perhaps bring the old expired passport as proof that you are simply renewing eChannel membership.
But it is possible to have two concurrent passports whereby the first is not invalidated by possession of the second.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
But it is possible to have two concurrent passports whereby the first is not invalidated by possession of the second.
Yes. Brian gives a good explanation here:
https://thepointsguy.com/2013/09/how...cond-passport/

HOWEVER, those "second passports" are for unusual circumstances, and are issued specifically as second passports with limited validity (usually just two years). Typically, there are two main reasons for being issued a second concurrent valid passport:

1) when you have submit your primary passport to a consulate for a visa while you also have a different trip abroad

2) when you need to travel to a country that might deny you entry based on stamps or other documentation in your primary passport

If you wish to apply for a second valid passport, you must have a good reason that you explain in a letter that accompanies your application. So....this process would not be appropriate for eChannel.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Brian gives a good explanation here:
https://thepointsguy.com/2013/09/how...cond-passport/

HOWEVER, those "second passports" are for unusual circumstances, and are issued specifically as second passports with limited validity (usually just two years). Typically, there are two main reasons for being issued a second concurrent valid passport:

1) when you have submit your primary passport to a consulate for a visa while you also have a different trip abroad

2) when you need to travel to a country that might deny you entry based on stamps or other documentation in your primary passport

If you wish to apply for a second valid passport, you must have a good reason that you explain in a letter that accompanies your application. So....this process would not be appropriate for eChannel.
I'm aware of the why's and how's a second passport may be procured however I fail to see why, once issued, it would "not be appropriate for eChannel?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody

This is interesting as I too just needed to renew my USA passport.

The old one (as always) was returned. The front cover and the ID page are punched. The back cover -- including the eChannel barcode -- are intact.

After reading your post, I am now wondering what would happen. Would the first set of doors not even open... thereby forcing you to go through the normal immigration? Or would they open... then "trap you" after your fingerprint scan requiring staff intervention (and potential repercussions)? Or... would they just let you though as normal (thereby allowing you to then proceed to the enrollment center to renew?)

By the way... someone earlier was concerned about the hours. The South Hall office is open until 11:00PM.

Immigration Headquarters
e-Channel Enrolment Office
7/F, Immigration Tower,
7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai
Monday to Friday:
8:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays
and public holidays

Hong Kong International Airport
Terminal 1

Arrival North Hall (after arrival counters)
10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Arrival South Hall (after arrival counters)
7:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

The old one (as always) was returned. The front cover and the ID page are punched. The back cover -- including the eChannel barcode -- are intact.

After reading your post, I am now wondering what would happen. Would the first set of doors not even open... thereby forcing you to go through the normal immigration? Or would they open... then "trap you" after your fingerprint scan requiring staff intervention (and potential repercussions)? Or... would they just let you though as normal (thereby allowing you to then proceed to the enrollment center to renew?)

By the way... someone earlier was concerned about the hours. The South Hall office is open until 11:00PM.

Immigration Headquarters
7/F, Immigration Tower,
Monday to Friday:
and public holidays

Terminal 1

Interesting. If you get a new passport, but your old one (with e-channel sticker) is still in date (early renewal), then HK Immigration would not know that your passport has been cancelled, would it?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Interesting. If you get a new passport, but your old one (with e-channel sticker) is still in date (early renewal), then HK Immigration would not know that your passport has been cancelled, would it?
If it had an RFID chip then surely they'd know it was no longer extant.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If it had an RFID chip then surely they'd know it was no longer extant.
...but they don't validate your entry via the chip, they do it via scanning the barcode, which brings up your "file", which contains fingerprints.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
...but they don't validate your entry via the chip, they do it via scanning the barcode, which brings up your "file", which contains fingerprints.
You're right, I was responding to a question that wasn't asked.

It doesn't just bring up a file with your fingerprints; it would be folly other than to bring up the whole file including parsing the validity of the passport.

The barcode likely serves to access the file, the fingerprints to prove it's you. In between the database is querried to ensure the passport is legit. And if it's been cancelled by the issuing country then I'm sure it would preclude admission.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
I applied for e-channel 2 weeks ago. The process is so simple. I really should have done this awhile ago.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've even done this at the e-channel office at the immigration tower office in Wanchai. It's easy there too.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: HK E-Channel
Hong kong e-channel application denied

Hello . Recently i was in hong kong for my 4th time . I tried to apply for the E-channel and i gave my passport and MARCO POLO CLUB . Cathay pacific membership card . But suddenly they rejected my application . And the immigration officer just told me that eveytime im in hong kong ineed to face to face the immigration officer . I dont know what are they trying to say .. is theres anyboy know what should i do ?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

Immigration Headquarters
7/F, Immigration Tower,
Monday to Friday:
and public holidays

Terminal 1

Here is the follow-up on this. I arrived around 8:15PM. As is often the case, they had a limited number of e-Channel lanes open. I had intended to try the barcode on the back of my now-void passport to see what would happen. I planned to go through eChannel if possible, then go straight to the South Hall office to renew. (I did look and the office was still open.)

Of course, the only eChannel lanes open had no path to the South office. If I used the eChannel lane it would have taken me out of immigration and into baggage claim. I tried to talk to some of the "info" people there, but they were utterly useless.

So, I filled out an Entry card and waited in line. After passing being cleared (at about 9:30PM), I walked down to the eChannel office... AND IT WAS CLOSED! Grrrr..... It was supposed to be open until 11! I asked one of the security folks, but they too were useless.

So, I had to go to the Immigration Tower (near the Convention Center) and get it handled there. VERY QUICK... no waiting.

The only thing I wonder about now is how to tell when it expires. It was not clear to me if they RENEWED my eChannel that I originally obtained a few years back... or if instead they TRANSFERRED it to my new passport. Anyone have any idea how to check?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Hana Yamada
I dont know what are they trying to say .. is theres anyboy know what should i do ?
Except for HK Smart ID holders (which their enrollments are mandatory and automatic), all e-Channel enrollments are OPTIONAL and DISCRETIONARILY.

The only thing you can do is to continue using traditional counters.

(AFAIK - Hong Kong is extremely lenient in term of immigration. So it sounds like you are the problem rather than the Immigration Department.)

Originally Posted by Hana Yamada
The only thing I wonder about now is how to tell when it expires. It was not clear to me if they RENEWED my eChannel that I originally obtained a few years back... or if instead they TRANSFERRED it to my new passport. Anyone have any idea how to check?
It does not have an expiration date. So it basically runs with the life of the travel document.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.