Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GoSh4rks
Unofficial List of FFPs eligible for e-Channel as of January 21, 2017:

1. oneworld

American Airlines (AA) - Gold/Platinum/Platinum Pro*/Executive Platinum/ConciergeKey
British Airways (BA) - Silver/Gold/Premier
Cathay Pacific/DragonAir (CX/KA) – Green#/Silver/Gold/Diamond
Finnair (AY) - Silver/Gold/Platinum/VIP
Japan Airlines (JL) - Crystal/Sapphire/Diamond/JGC Card/JGC Sapphire/JGC Premier
Malaysia Airlines (MH) - Silver/Gold/Platinum
Qantas Airways (QF) - Gold/Platinum/Platinum One*/Chairman’s Lounge
Qatar Airways (QR) - Gold/Platinum*
S7 Airlines (S7) - Silver/Gold/Platinum

2. SkyTeam

Air France/KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (AF/KL) - Silver/Gold/Platinum/Club 2000/Club 2000 Skipper
China Airlines (CI) - Gold/Emerald/Paragon
China Southern Airlines (CZ) – Silver Card/Gold Card
Delta Air Lines (DL) - Silver Medallion!/Gold Medallion!/Platinum Medallion!/Diamond Medallion!
Garuda Indonesia Airlines (GA) - Silver/Gold/Platinum
Korean Air (KE) - Morning Calm/Morning Calm Premium/Million Miler

3. Star Alliance

Air Canada (AC) - Prestige 25K!/Elite 35K!/Elite 50K*/Elite 75K*/Super Elite 100K!
Air China (CA) - Silver/Gold/Platinum
Air New Zealand (NZ) - Silver/Gold/Elite
All Nippon Airways (NH) - Bronze/Platinum/Diamond/Super Flyer Club
Asiana Airlines (OZ) - Gold/Diamond/Diamond Plus/Platinum
Ethiopian Airlines (ET) - Silver/Gold
EVA Airways (BR) – Silver/Gold/Diamond
Lufthansa/Swiss International Air Lines (LH/LX)@ - Frequent Traveler/Senator/HON Circle
Singapore Airlines (SQ) – KrisFlyer Gold/PPS/Solitaire PPS
South African Airways (SA)– Gold/Platinum/Lifetime Platinum
Thai Airways (TG)- Silver/Gold/Platinum
Turkish Airlines (TK) - Classic Plus/Elite/Elite Plus
United Airlines (UA) - Premier Silver/Premier Gold/Premier 1K/ Global Services

4. Non-alliance

Hainan Airlines/Hong Kong Airlines/Hong Kong Express (HU/HX/UO) - Silver Card/Gold Card/Platinum Card*
Jet Airways (9W)- Silver/Gold/Platinum
Philippines Airlines (PR) - Classic#!/Elite/Premier Elite/Million Miler
Royal Brunei Airlines (BI) - Gold Elite
Virgin Atlantic Airways (VS)- Silver/Gold

Key:
  • # - Base level (non-status)
  • * - New levels not included in ID's list but should be qualified.
  • ! - Current name for the status levels
  • @ - Miles & More is also the FFP for Adria/Austrian Airlines/Brussels Airlines/Croatia Airlines/LOT Polish Airlines. They are not included in ID's list but should be qualified.

Note:
  • Please refer to Immigration Department's website for the enrollment eligibility (Select "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors"), as well as the hours and locations of the enrollment offices. As of October 2, 2018, airport hours are North Hall: 7:30a-11:00p and South Hall: 10:00a-6:00p, and Immigration Building, Wan Chai, M-F 8:45a-5p.
  • If your FFP is not included above, assume that you are not qualified to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors" through your FFP membership. You may be still eligible to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors" if 1) you are a visitor using either HKSAR Travel Pass or APEC Business Travel Card with HKG endorsement; 2) you have entered and exited via HKG more than 3 times within last 12 months of the enrollment;
  • If you are not qualified to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors", you may be still eligible to enroll e-Channel Service through a qualified travel document (Australian Passport/German Passport/Singaporean Passport/ROK Passport/Mainland Exit-Entry Permit with qualified endorsements/Macau ID);
  • Kingfisher Airlines (IT) is included in ID's list but excluded above as it has ceased operation.
  • Anecdotal reports suggest a physical (i.e. non-digital) FFP membership card is REQUIRED to enroll "e-Channel Service for Frequent Visitors" through your FFP membership.
  • Electronic FF cards are accepted.
  • E-Channel renewals/transfers onto a new passport involve taking your old sticker off your expired passport and transferring it to the new passport. New stickers are still issued for first time enrollees.
Print Wikipost

Apply for E-Channel with FF status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
@Gary: I gather that you haven't passed through Shenzhen Bay or Huanggang on a busy day recently. MANY people don't have eChannel access.
As they say,if everyone has fast track,than no one has fast track.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
As they say,if everyone has fast track,than no one has fast track.
I agree with your point in the general sense, but in the instant case, there's no denying the fact that machines are much faster than humans.

With respect to the theory behind the policy, I maintain that the air travel focus is not logical.

Basically, a guy who travels SFO-ORD 6 times a year on UA is welcome to the program, while a guy who does Shekou-HK 100 times per year is not. This makes no sense to me.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:41 am

Remember that Germans, Singaporeans, Koreans and Australians can enroll with no pre-conditions. Indeed, I think Immigration encourages them to do so.

What with computers now doing most of the background check, Immigration officers don't play much screening role anymore, at least in dealing with visitors from developed countries. I suspect that over time, citizens from more developed countries will be able to enroll in e-channel regardless whether they frequently visit Hong Kong or not. I just think Immigration is going to roll this out gradually. For example, they're probably using this time as a testing period to develop a profile of visitors who should not be granted e-channel status.

(As to the airport limitation, it wouldn't surprise me if the Airport Authority is funding this in part, as a courtesy to air travellers, hence the airport limitation.)
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
@Gary: I gather that you haven't passed through Shenzhen Bay or Huanggang on a busy day recently.
I don't use SZ Bay or Lok Ma Chau because of the public transportation at the SZ side.

But I use Lok Ma Chau Station and Lo Wu. And you can tell how a big mess it is.

MANY people don't have eChannel access.
7 million are not enough for many?

Remember - all HKID holders are eligible to use e-Channel without enrollment.

I agree with your point in the general sense, but in the instant case, there's no denying the fact that machines are much faster than humans.
Not necessary.

To a visitor, yes - the e-Channel will allow the visitor to skip the initial interview. Hence a faster processing time.

But to a resident, no - the e-Channel takes more time to process.

Basically, a guy who travels SFO-ORD 6 times a year on UA is welcome to the program, while a guy who does Shekou-HK 100 times per year is not. This makes no sense to me.
Well...if the guy who travels SFO-ORD 6 times a year on UA enrolled the e-Channel and don't utilize it...it is a waste of his time and effort.

As I said, there is a separate e-Channel enrollment program for these people (Shekou-HK 100 times per year).
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Just returned from my HKG MR. I am AA ExPlat. No wait. Less than 5 mins. The North location of the eChannell enrollment office was closed. I exited the immigration doors and walked south and re entered the doors to immigration to the South office even though the sliding doors says "No Entry" on them. I was directed by several custom officers that it was ok to do this. I didn't get any questions when I re entered the doors to go to the eChannel office. Can't wait to use it for my next MR.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Remember that Germans, Singaporeans, Koreans and Australians can enroll with no pre-conditions. Indeed, I think Immigration encourages them to do so.

What with computers now doing most of the background check, Immigration officers don't play much screening role anymore, at least in dealing with visitors from developed countries. I suspect that over time, citizens from more developed countries will be able to enroll in e-channel regardless whether they frequently visit Hong Kong or not. I just think Immigration is going to roll this out gradually. For example, they're probably using this time as a testing period to develop a profile of visitors who should not be granted e-channel status.

(As to the airport limitation, it wouldn't surprise me if the Airport Authority is funding this in part, as a courtesy to air travellers, hence the airport limitation.)
Hongkong passport holders can do that in Germany and Singapore as well. Don't know where else.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: OWS,E+,A3Gold,TK+
@garykung thanks, and I also couldn't say that the list is definitely upto date and have also cross ref this list and found some irregularity, and the ring binder was actually falling to pieces and several pages fell out and if anyone can add to the list I'll be sure to update. There is one page on photos taken I couldn't decipher could possibly be JAL but I'm not familiar with there cards. See below if anyone nows which member it is.

And it is listed benefit on JAL own website .

Basic American card is crossed out on the image. Not accepted most of basic cards show in images from book but have faint red cross through which is not well seen in images.

And Thai ffp cards listed in book are older than currently issued with different designs and basic is listed yet Thai say not applicable.

This was from enrollment office by immigration 69 far to the right of what was open immigration lines and before baggage after immigration.

Last edited by Liams; Jun 28, 2016 at 2:04 am
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by garykung
I will attempt to obtain the list from the Department and see.
As promised, the following is an update from the Immigration Department:

Our Ref.: *_____________________________

Dear Mr. Kung,

Code on Access to Information

We have received your application dated 1 July 2016 seeking access to information relating to e-Channel Services for Frequent Visitors.

As your request for information involves consultation with various parties concerned, we are unable to provide you with the information sought at this stage. Pursuant to paragraph [1.16] [1.18] of the Code, you will be advised further in relation to your request on or before 21 July 2016.

Yours sincerely,

*_______________

for Director of Immigration
* Redacted per FT Rule.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:53 am

Just a tip for anyone wishing to enroll but put off with the long queues in the arrivals hall:

There is an enrolment centre on the 7th floor of the Immigration Tower, which is located in Wan Chai close to the Grand Hyatt/Exhibition Centre. Nearest MTR stop Wan Chai.

Open from 0845 to 1700 Mon-Fri. Not a soul there when I went this morning to switch over to a new passport.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by stargold
Just a tip for anyone wishing to enroll but put off with the long queues in the arrivals hall:

There is an enrolment centre on the 7th floor of the Immigration Tower, which is located in Wan Chai close to the Grand Hyatt/Exhibition Centre. Nearest MTR stop Wan Chai.

Open from 0845 to 1700 Mon-Fri. Not a soul there when I went this morning to switch over to a new passport.
Thanks for that! I was wondering if there was an office in town.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Thanks for that! I was wondering if there was an office in town.
Already discussed upthread...but, I suppose we should add this info to the Wikipost.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Already discussed upthread...but, I suppose we should add this info to the Wikipost.
Sorry I missed that
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:43 am

Is there a good or bad time window for the wait at the airport ? Not certain when HKG is busiest
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As promised, I have obtained the entire list from the Immigration Department.

I have updated the Wiki accordingly.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I'm wondering how this scheme is funded. In other words, does HK immigration bill participating airlines on a per person basis? How do they account for people that quality based on 3 entries? Why are entries apart from hkia excluded?
I'd be curious to know as well. My hunch is that participating airlines contribute funding for the scheme, perhaps based on how many flights they have into HKIA or how many passengers who meet the criteria they transport into HKIA annually. That would explain why only some airlines participate (and why there was such a long delay after AA started flying to HKG), and might explain why elite status is required of most but not all airlines (assuming participating airlines set the criteria). It would also explain why this is limited to the airport.

Originally Posted by garykung
A classic example is at the beginning, TSA PreCheck is offered to U.S. airlines elite members only (managed inclusion).
Those are different programs. Initially, TSA Pre-Check was only for airline elites who had been invited by a participating airline and had accepted the invitation (giving permission for the airline to give data about them to the TSA). Later, the TSA started Managed Inclusion as way to increase Pre-Check usage rates. In Managed Inclusion, passengers who had not been invited, had not applied for membership, and had not given consent were granted Pre-Check.

In theory, yes, but in practice much depends on the people using the machines. I've been in line behind many people who had no idea how to use kiosks for HKIA E-Channel, Global Entry, UK border automated gates, etc.

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 21, 2016 at 1:55 pm Reason: fix typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.