FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Access to Private Clubs and Bars in Hong Kong (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1063101-access-private-clubs-bars-hong-kong.html)

eastcoastguy128 Mar 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Access to Private Clubs and Bars in Hong Kong

I am planning a trip to Hong Kong and notice that Amex Platinum Concierge has been unable to help me with reservations at private clubs including Kee Club, China Club, M1NT.

Apparently there was an offer for Amex Plat members to dine at China Club a few years ago. It seems that Kee and China Club access is currently included for Amex Centurion as well as in the UOB Infinity Card as discussed on another thread.
Does anyone have experience with the Kee Club? My options would be a lifetime overseas membership for about $3500 or purchasing Quintessentially's dedicated service for 3500/year which apparently has 2 visits to Kee and has access to some of the other clubs in HK as well.
I do plan to visit HK in future years and the lifetime membership may not be a bad idea especially if I would be treated well by their staff. I am not planning on staying at a top hotel this year and therefore will not have a good local concierge to help me.
Please let me know your opinions.

Jamoldo Mar 14, 2010 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy128 (Post 13576478)
I am planning a trip to Hong Kong and notice that Amex Platinum Concierge has been unable to help me with reservations at private clubs including Kee Club, China Club, M1NT.

Apparently there was an offer for Amex Plat members to dine at China Club a few years ago. It seems that Kee and China Club access is currently included for Amex Centurion as well as in the UOB Infinity Card as discussed on another thread.
Does anyone have experience with the Kee Club? My options would be a lifetime overseas membership for about $3500 or purchasing Quintessentially's dedicated service for 3500/year which apparently has 2 visits to Kee and has access to some of the other clubs in HK as well.
I do plan to visit HK in future years and the lifetime membership may not be a bad idea especially if I would be treated well by their staff. I am not planning on staying at a top hotel this year and therefore will not have a good local concierge to help me.
Please let me know your opinions.

I really don't think its a big deal. M1NT, just stand in line, talk to some people and you can get in, or the bouncer might let you in. Kee Club - same food as its restaurant I think, and while the ambiance is nice, its not really worth it unless you live here and go a lot.

I go to China Club for work and cant comment there. In other words, there are plenty of other better choices without the annoyances. If you end up living in HK, worry about membership otherwise staying at a great hotel (never doubt the power of a good concierge) can do the trick as can local friends, or maybe someone here (not me).

christep Mar 14, 2010 11:03 pm

What is it that you are hoping to get from these private clubs exactly? As far as I can see many of them (Kee Club, M1NT, etc) are just places that pander the certain residents' needs to pose and pout and show off how much money daddy put in their trust fund (or how overpaid they are as gambling bankers).

The China Club is quite a different thing from the other two (the average age must be at least double for a start). It has old money there, and could be good for business networking.

Jamoldo Mar 15, 2010 1:42 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 13576929)
What is it that you are hoping to get from these private clubs exactly? As far as I can see many of them (Kee Club, M1NT, etc) are just places that pander the certain residents' needs to pose and pout and show off how much money daddy put in their trust fund (or how overpaid they are as gambling bankers).

The China Club is quite a different thing from the other two (the average age must be at least double for a start). It has old money there, and could be good for business networking.

I don't know Christep, I don't think M1NT is that difficult to get into. I rarely go, but when I do, have never been asked for a membership card or whatever. I think its a shareholders club (ie. your "membership" is actually part ownership). The demographic at Kee Club is older, significantly but not like that at China Club. Membership is not expensive; a good friend of mine has it and he told me how much (it's not much).

Additionally, I think there are much harder places to get into that pander to more posing and pouting, such as Volar (never succeeded and tried once or twice), a new model club in Central (i forget where), Dragon I, and Prive. Of course I rarely if ever go to these unless quite drunk or taken in by someone since I don't feel its worth the hassle or that there is any value offered.

Let's be realistic here though, HK is much more accessible even with these venues, from what I hear, when compared to say, New York or London.

The real question is, what does the OP want or consider value? Easiest thing (in a club) might be to get the concierge to call the club (assuming that's what he/she wants), place a reservation under your name and to buy a bottle or something.

Pickles Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

The "clubby" scene in HK is pretty amateurish. Don't know what the appeal is of places ranging from the Kee Club to Volar, Drop, Dragon I, Azure, whatever. All strictly b-grade low-rent meat markets filled with meatheads and some of the most vapid women ever.

My wife was offered a free membership at the Kee Club and we went a few times, it really was unmemorable and filled with people I wouldn't hang out with anyway, so I don't see the appeal.

The China Club's food is mixed, but the ambiance can be quite entertaining, especially when David Tang is in the house.

Jamoldo Mar 15, 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 13578719)
The "clubby" scene in HK is pretty amateurish. Don't know what the appeal is of places ranging from the Kee Club to Volar, Drop, Dragon I, Azure, whatever. All strictly b-grade low-rent meat markets filled with meatheads and some of the most vapid women ever.

My wife was offered a free membership at the Kee Club and we went a few times, it really was unmemorable and filled with people I wouldn't hang out with anyway, so I don't see the appeal.

The China Club's food is mixed, but the ambiance can be quite entertaining, especially when David Tang is in the house.

Kee Club - food plus ambiance?

Volar - models and not being able to get in

Drop - don't know

Dragon I - see Volar but to a lesser extent

I actually like Azure, great rooftop.

Isn't that the point of clubs?!?!

kchika Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by christep (Post 13576929)

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 13578719)

Speaking from personal experience here, the China Club is only good for business networking. Who would pay HK$120 for a plate of BBQ pork on rice or HK$60 for a glass of soy milk (rough figures, it's been a while since I went there) when you could get the same thing of better quality for HK$45 with iced milk tea at Canteen in Prince's Building where you don't have to be in your power suit?

I've seen David Tang a couple of times there but I don't find his presence particularly special? Have you tried Island Tang?

Pickles Mar 17, 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo (Post 13579172)
I actually like Azure, great rooftop.

Agree, but the size of a farkin bathtub, and always packed with twerps. If a rooftop is what you want, can't beat Sevva or the Wooloomooloo in Wan Chai, substantially less crowded and much more civilized.

Pickles Mar 17, 2010 10:00 am

Originally Posted by kchika (Post 13583324)
I've seen David Tang a couple of times there but I don't find his presence particularly special? Have you tried Island Tang?

It is like catching up with a posh Bus Uncle. And if he likes you, he'll give you a free cigar.

Jamoldo Mar 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 13593376)
Agree, but the size of a farkin bathtub, and always packed with twerps. If a rooftop is what you want, can't beat Sevva or the Wooloomooloo in Wan Chai, substantially less crowded and much more civilized.

True about the size, but I meet plenty of nice and interesting people there. Actually most people I meet, even in the most vapid of situations at clubs are far nicer than in most major cities. Even if the girl is not interested in you and its visible, she usually says hello, how are you and will put up with some awkward conversation, whereas in other cities people will literally turn their back on you.

I think its a far better venue than Sevva.

Sevva's more expensive, does not have great service (and I'm being nice here despite having never been mistreated there), the view is obstructed and its incredibly pretentious for what it is (ie. blah). A nice place for an after drink work if you work in around Prince's Building and Alexandria House et al, but that's really it. Still a not so convenient (for HK standards) to LKF/Soho (but closer to Club 9).

I've never been to Wooloomoloo in Wanchai (despite living in Wanchai) and I've heard great things. Once again, location is its major downfall.

Azure is well located, has a roof that one can get on, great views and decent service every time I have gone. That being said, it's most certainly packed to the gills on weekends, no argument there.

If one wants a nice view, decent drinks and nothing too packed, go to Red, G Bar, Bar Isola etc at IFC, if on the Island. There are other great places to go on HK Island (further away from the "action") but for most Fters, I bet this should do.

Pickles Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo (Post 13597504)
Sevva's more expensive, does not have great service (and I'm being nice here despite having never been mistreated there), the view is obstructed and its incredibly pretentious for what it is (ie. blah). A nice place for an after drink work if you work in around Prince's Building and Alexandria House et al, but that's really it. Still a not so convenient (for HK standards) to LKF/Soho (but closer to Club 9).

I've never been to Wooloomoloo in Wanchai (despite living in Wanchai) and I've heard great things. Once again, location is its major downfall.

Azure is well located, has a roof that one can get on, great views and decent service every time I have gone. That being said, it's most certainly packed to the gills on weekends, no argument there.

If one wants a nice view, decent drinks and nothing too packed, go to Red, G Bar, Bar Isola etc at IFC, if on the Island. There are other great places to go on HK Island (further away from the "action") but for most Fters, I bet this should do.

Service at Sevva isn't that great, agreed, but I'd take that over Azure's attitude on a weekend. Definitely not a great place to eat, but a good place for a drink and a stogie, if the weather is nice. Red, G Bar, and Isola are also good choices, although I prefer the 270 degree view from Sevva.

Jamoldo Mar 21, 2010 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 13598461)
Service at Sevva isn't that great, agreed, but I'd take that over Azure's attitude on a weekend. Definitely not a great place to eat, but a good place for a drink and a stogie, if the weather is nice. Red, G Bar, and Isola are also good choices, although I prefer the 270 degree view from Sevva.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree (fair enough). I find Sevva unecessarily pretentious, especially for what you get. There are far too many other places where one can get a great view, good drinks (at lower prices) with less arrogance and still light one up.

Pickles Mar 27, 2010 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo (Post 13597504)
True about the size, but I meet plenty of nice and interesting people there.

I think this is the key difference with me. I don't go to these joints to meet people, I don't need any more friends. I usually go with other people for a drink or whatever.

thursday Mar 29, 2010 5:42 am

Fascinating. You people are so....... fascinating

thursday Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Pickles, are you the one who got several million miles for ordering US mint dollars with your Visa card and then depositing back into you bank account?