Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, and others

Instead of going round the usual way back for me, through LHR on BA, I'm heading back to SFO through HKG in CX J and spending the weekend in the city. Wanted to see if there any recommendations on must do's/eat's/see's while in town? Apologizes if wrong forum, we can certainly move to a different forum if necessary.

Also, anyone throwing a FT DO perchance?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
1. Take the peak tram, eat dim sum, explore one of the wet markets, walk around Mongkok to see Sneaker Street and Goldfish street, have some drinks in Lan Kwai Fung and Soho areas in Central.

That's not even scratching the surface but a start.

2. Check out the HK forum within the "travel and dining" section.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Moving this to the HK forum...and suggest that OP buy a Guide Book for HK for ideas on what to do in the meantime.

Thank you

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jamoldo

2. Check out the HK forum within the "travel and dining" section.
There are a couple of really detail threads (if you search for the posts by ChrisLi and Christep, might be easier to find).
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by dtsm
There are a couple of really detail threads (if you search for the posts by ChrisLi and Christep, might be easier to find).
I'm starting to wonder if perhaps we should have a sticky at the top of the HK forum for the two most common questions here:

1) I'm in HK for X amount of days, what do I do?
2) How do I get to the Mainland/Macau from HKG?

Any thoughts or do we like keeping the forum fresh with discussion as opposed to people just stopping by, looking at the sticky and moving on?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Try this ... better than the site search I guess

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...i=&safe=images
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by evacboy
spending the weekend in the city. Wanted to see if there any recommendations on must do's/eat's/see's while in town?
How many hours exactly you are here? as you are HHonors, so my guess you may stay at Conrad ?

If you are staying here for 24 hours, then Soho / Lankwaifong + peak + TST as the starter, together with a dim sum lunch will be nice
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Try this ... better than the site search I guess

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...i=&safe=images
ROFLMAO ^^^

I agree with Kevin's idea to start a sticky and have asked moderator, maybe others can also chime in
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:05 am

+1
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
How many hours exactly you are here? as you are HHonors, so my guess you may stay at Conrad ?

If you are staying here for 24 hours, then Soho / Lankwaifong + peak + TST as the starter, together with a dim sum lunch will be nice
Chris,
Thanks! I already looked through some of the older posts and found some great tips as well. I am in fact at the Conrad, great guess. And I have 3 full days to get to know HK.. Fri-Mon, so should be able to hit up most of the hot spots.

What's the word on nightlife? I'm 26 so something in/around that age group.

Thanks,

Chi
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by evacboy
What's the word on nightlife? I'm 26 so something in/around that age group.
Lan Kwai Fong and Soho are most likely your best bet. A large variety of places around there to suit the taste of every individual. Be warned that if you desire a "meet the locals" type of a thing, Lan Kwai Fong and Soho are both packed with expats and tourists galore. Of course, locals venture there too but it can be easy while you're there to forget you're in HK.

My personal favourite is to grab a drink and hang out at the rooftop garden of Fringe Club.

The other alternative is the cluster of bars over by Lockhart Road in Wanchai. I've never been as it has always struck me as being a bit seedier but then again, some would like that!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:06 am

Suggested places to stop-by (Largerly depends on which part of Hong Kong you wanna see ... and if you expect to shop for anything), http://www.discoverhongkong.com is always the best site for your prelim selection, http://hk-magazine.com/ for local happenings

Fri Night : Party Night @ Central (Soho + Lan Kwai Fong)

Sat / Sun / Mon Morning: Depends on your selection, here are list of stuffs of my select

Island side:
Peak, Stanley, Causeway Bay, Museum of Coastal Defence,
Central Buildings (Collective City Hall + Legislative Council + HSBC building + Court of Final Appeal),
Central Esculator System (From IFC phase 1 all the way up)
http://hk-magazine.com/feature/alfresco-foodie-tour for some interesting central foodie guy (Note: Foreigner NOT Friendly, expect point to next table and order the very same food )

Kowloon side :
Hong Kong Muesum, TST habour side (at Night!!!), The Peninsula,
Star Ferry, Mong Kok,
Sham Shui Po Electronic Street + Computer Mall,
Wong Tai Sin Temple + Chi Lin Nunnery

Countryside : The green side of concrete jungle
Sai Kung, Race Course,
Tai Mei Duk (Plover Cove Reservior)
tolo habour on bicycle (need some time .... and may be GPS for tourist),

==============================
Being the same age group but not a party guy, I head to causeway bay for relaxing pubs with friends

Check http://www.hkclubbing.com/directory/popular.html if you want more detail directory

*** Disclaim : HK Clubbing is my company's business partner ***

Last edited by ChrisLi; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:13 am Reason: Formatting
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:49 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I'm starting to wonder if perhaps we should have a sticky at the top of the HK forum for the two most common questions here:

1) I'm in HK for X amount of days, what do I do?
2) How do I get to the Mainland/Macau from HKG?

Any thoughts or do we like keeping the forum fresh with discussion as opposed to people just stopping by, looking at the sticky and moving on?
This thread is now a “sticky” thread, unless Hong Kong forum FlyerTalk members deem otherwise. If so, please alert the Senior Moderators.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Senior Moderator
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
My personal favourite is to grab a drink and hang out at the rooftop garden of Fringe Club.
I like the space a lot. It's not longer my favorite though ever since they stopped serving Hitachino White Nest
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
I'm also making my first trip to HKG later this month and am currently in the process of educating myself on what to do/see/go, etc.

I'm completely ignorant of the city....I'll have one full day/night (yes, too little I know but have to fit in some work too..haha) to spend in town. If there's a thread of '24 hours in Hong Kong' pls post it.

Sadly I can't browse FT on my 15 hr flight to NRT so I'm looking for some reading material.... Can someone post the best printed guide book that's available on Amazon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.