Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: no status
I will be in Kong Kong for a day and will try to follow some of the itin. below. I am wondering how many HKD should be exchanged for one person to allow for transportation (octopus card?), food, and admissions?

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Rough Itinerary as below
====================================
Lam's Village wishing tree 林村許願樹

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ing-trees.html

Travel "Tai woh Station" (太和站) on the MTR network, then change for taxi for the destination. Details description is at the discover hong kong site and I am not repeating here

Dim Sum Lunch

You should finish the wishing tree within an hour, then you travel back to the train station on taxi / bus 64K (which have a sign saying "Tai Po Market Station", Change for Train at Tai Woh station

Get on train towards "Hung Hom" (紅磡), take off at "Kowloon Tong" (九龍塘)

Goto Exit H and go into the shopping mall call "Festival Walk" for your lunch fix. and if you like dim sum, there should be a few chinese resturant for it

http://www.festivalwalk.com.hk/eng/whereeat.htm

One recommendation of those are 又一棧 Festive China

Wong Tai Sin Temple 黃大仙廟

So with a lunch done we continue heading for culture experience. Follow the sign and head to the subway and travel to Wong Tai Sin Station (Exit E3). Follow the sign (or the crowd) to the temple and see how we pray for luck

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...in-temple.html

Heading to Peak 山頂 (If it not foggy / humid)

Now travel back to Central on MTR and head to the peak tram station. The station is at spot 10 (a bit of walk from exit J2), we have cover the topic of peak a hundred times (if not thousands) here so I am not repeating again

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/images/maps/cen.pdf

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...s/hk-peak.html

Enjoy the nice sunset there. If you prefer you can have your dinner here also (though expensive)

Cross the habour on ferry and the harbour from TST

Travel back to the lower peak tram station and then followed by 15C to head to pier, jump on star ferry to cross the harbour back to Tsim Sha Tsui. From there you can enjoy the classic Hong Kong City View with sky scrappers from a different angle. In addition, you can enjoy the bonus latern display "元宵節花燈" near the culture center.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...event_id=49399

If you didn't have any dinner yet, go inside the nearby mall and make a dinner of your selection. There are quite variety of selections at the nearby malls

http://www.openrice.com/english/ is a local dining guide that you search for your stomach fix

If it is humid and you decide to skip the peak

Just travel direct from Wong Tai Sin to Mong Kok Station, feel the beat of the city's crowd around the area, and see if you want to try the street side food if you like (don't do it if you have meetings / flying out following day though )

Walk into the Ladies Street and have a feeling of it http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...es-market.html

After walking around for a while, go back to the Main road called Nathan Road. Travel on bus number 1, 1A, 2, 6, 6A heading to Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry (尖沙咀碼頭) , check out the lantern display, travel on the ferry cross the habour then head for dinner at Lan Kwai Fong / Soho area

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/images/maps/cen.pdf (walk from Pier 7 to Spot 8 - Lan Kwai Fong or Spot 11 for SOHO)
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: Skyteam
Can someone list the bus# to take?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by skchin
What are you asking about? All the scenic and interesting bus routes in HK? Or something else?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by skchin
Originally Posted by rkkwan
What are you asking about? All the scenic and interesting bus routes in HK? Or something else?
I would say bus #11, it gets you everywhere. (olde HK joke)
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I have a sort of related question... From where can you get this view of Hong Kong?

I want to stay at the Intercontinental. The hotel has harbor view rooms and standard rooms. I am using points so I can only book the standard room. I will ask for a harbor view room at check in, but the staff has every right not to allow it since IHG Platinum doesn't mean much at IC properties. Is there a non-hotel property I can just go to get some good photos of the bay?

I can also stay at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford, but the view is not as nice... However, if an award stay will get me an in-room view I will gladly stay there instead of the IC.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Dec 31, 2013 at 7:56 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by agp423
I have a sort of related question... From where can you get this view of Hong Kong? ... Is there a non-hotel property I can just go to get some good photos of the bay?
Quickie answer to your question, this time of the year - that's a premium pricing for in-room views for most (if not all) hotel properties facing the Victoria Harbour (maybe better luck mid-week if you are a regular elite) - have you checked on specific date/availability and/or try calling the property directly to inquire ??

For photo purposes, from the Avenue of the Stars/IC area, walk westward to/pass the Star Ferry to Harbour City / Ocean Terminal - walk around & find your favorite spots, or head upstairs inside the complex to the outdoor observation deck (walk toward the end/tip extending into the harbour for best view) - views are free, best with a "good" HD camera to capture the night scene - (switch to Street View) https://maps.google.com.hk/maps?q&la...Bg&gl=HK&hl=en

Happy 2014 - tonight's harbour fireworks at midnight a few hours ago was simply amazing

*** Mrs. L commented that the free waterfront view directly at the Kowloon Public Pier next to the Star Ferry & the view upstairs along the promenade at the HK Cultural Centre are equally good. She just need to bring along an extra jacket for the chilly evening plus a hot cup of coffee in a thermos.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Dec 31, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thank you for the tip, Mr. and Mrs. L. I am going around Dec 19 - 22nd 2014, +/- 1 day each way. The price per night for the week before is $600+/night for room without the harbor view.

From what I can tell from the pictures on Trip Adviser, the IC lobby seem to have a nice view as well, but I am not sure how close I can get to the glass to shoot the photo. I think my best bet would be front an outdoors area. On the Google maps link you sent, I can't seem to get a clear view of the skyline. I can only see the piece of water between both sides of the land and a few buildings on the harbor.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by agp423
From what I can tell ... the IC lobby seem to have a nice view as well, but I am not sure how close I can get to the glass to shoot the photo. I think my best bet would be front an outdoors area. On the Google maps link you sent, I can't seem to get a clear view of the skyline. I can only see the piece of water between both sides of the land and a few buildings on the harbor.
The IC lobby with the huge floor to ceiling glass facing the harbour was/is part of the coffee shop/lobby bar when it was known as the Regent HK back in the days - if you get lucky, perhaps they would seat you next to the glass. Otherwise, there is really no "public" viewing area inside - there's no questions about the harbour views upstairs - $$$, of course.

Another one worth checking out is the old/historic YMCA with harbour view, next to the Pennisula - it's likely booked up already but not cheap either, not 5 stars accommodation but very spacious (search for photos on TA ...)

The outdoor area along the Promenade is all good, nothing in front to block your views and you look directly across to Wanchai, Central & Sheung Wan. On the Google Map view that I link, if you switch & "walk" toward the (Terminal) building with the steps, then turn it -45 to -90 degrees, it will change & more of the open harbour will come into view, the Star Ferry to the left will be blocking mostly Wanchai & part of Central, IFC Mall and the rest would be in full view. Since you are planning to be there for more than a day or two - just go scout out your best spots during the day, upstairs at the Ocean Terminal on the far end would be an excellent public & free location to brace the camera & mini-tripod, IMO.

Do the Google Street View and walk around to sample the views, some of them are from "still" pictures taken - day & night - they are very accurate short of being on the ground there in person (and, also - try Google Earth & input those addresses)
Old May 25, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: skymiles
hk disneyland

Any thoughts on doing disney what days best about how much tks
Old May 25, 2014, 7:46 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by brplane
Any thoughts on doing disney what days best about how much tks
If possible, avoid Disneyland completely.

If you really, really, really must go, go on a weekday.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The general opinion is that Ocean Park is better by far than HK Disney (especially if you have been to other Disney places)
Old May 27, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by christep
The general opinion is that Ocean Park is better by far than HK Disney (especially if you have been to other Disney places)
You mean the "award winning"m Ocean Park?

http://www.oceanpark.com.hk/html/en/...ess.php?id=583

Could not help noticing all the promo regarding this award taking nephews and neices there Monday.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Thought I'd just bump the sticky if any other people are interested.

So I'm in my 20's and my brother and I are heading there for a week in late March. I've been told that LKF (Lan Kwai Fong) is the party hub of HK. Just posting to see what other FT'ers are saying.

We're planning to stay in either TST or Wan Chai.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:57 pm

The bar on the 103rd floor at the Ritz Carlton in Kowloon has a pretty impressive view.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by WillTravel
The bar on the 103rd floor at the Ritz Carlton in Kowloon has a pretty impressive view.
Do you need to be staying in the Ritz to get in or can we enter with an entrance fee or something?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.