Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:47 pm

Anything special around Aberdeen?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:37 pm

Things to do...

If you have more than a few days, you must take a day trip to Macau.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by langjaiken
If you have more than a few days, you must take a day trip to Macau.
But not on a Sunday, in my experience. The queue at immigration took an hour and a half to clear when I went across a couple of weeks ago
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
If I am going to be spending 4-5 days in HKG then is it worth doing something via a tour guide? Does it cost a lot? Does any one have any tips or have done this?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by arods3
If I am going to be spending 4-5 days in HKG then is it worth doing something via a tour guide? Does it cost a lot? Does any one have any tips or have done this?
HKG is really compact and tourist-friendly, you should do fine on your own. 4-5 days is just enough time to see the major things and get a bit of a feel for life in HK. I would rule out a visit to Macau or the mainland though, it pretty much takes up at least a whole day to see each and there's a lot to see in HK. If you really want to do a side trip I'd do Macau though. I've never used a tour guide in the 20+ times I visited here in the past, getting around is easy and there's pretty good tourist infrastructure.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by Santander
HKG is really compact and tourist-friendly, you should do fine on your own. 4-5 days is just enough time to see the major things and get a bit of a feel for life in HK. I would rule out a visit to Macau or the mainland though, it pretty much takes up at least a whole day to see each and there's a lot to see in HK. If you really want to do a side trip I'd do Macau though. I've never used a tour guide in the 20+ times I visited here in the past, getting around is easy and there's pretty good tourist infrastructure.
Maybe I will extend my trip a bit longer to get to see those places. I was curious to know if it wasn't that much of a difference in price to join a tour then might as well do it. I usually do things no my own and have never used a tour guide before, so I wanted to try it out if its cost efficient.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Other than Lantau Island or Transit tour I will suggest AGAINST any tour group

HK is easy to navigate, and as long as you are English speaking you are good go.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Other than Lantau Island or Transit tour I will suggest AGAINST any tour group

HK is easy to navigate, and as long as you are English speaking you are good go.
Any experience of a Shenzen tour?

I'll be in Hong Kong next week for 7 days - definitely planning to see Macau, Lantau and much more.

Am doing a half day tour of the Island - but plan to do most on my own.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
If 7 days in HK I will suggest 2D1N @ Macau ... ShenZhen is always the lowest of my list .... Simply nothing appeals to me except massage
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Vidic15
Any experience of a Shenzen tour?
Many people think there is a lot to see on the "China side", but there really isn't. There is not much worth doing in Shenzhen that you can't do in HK. Sure, you get to see "China", but it's really not worth wasting your time there. Unless you have the time to make your way up to Guangzhou (in which case you should give yourself at least 2-3 days even for a "side trip") just stay in HK/Macau. Macau deserves a minimum of one full day, but bear in mind that English ability in Macau is a lot lower than in HK.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Many people think there is a lot to see on the "China side", but there really isn't. There is not much worth doing in Shenzhen that you can't do in HK. Sure, you get to see "China", but it's really not worth wasting your time there. Unless you have the time to make your way up to Guangzhou (in which case you should give yourself at least 2-3 days even for a "side trip") just stay in HK/Macau. Macau deserves a minimum of one full day, but bear in mind that English ability in Macau is a lot lower than in HK.
Agreed! If people want to see China, it's better to plan a China trip and go in-depth. If you are going to Hong Kong for the first time, just stay in Hong Kong for a few days and spare a day for Macau. That'll be enough.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:10 pm

Any lessons to partake in while at Hong Kong? I'll be in HK for about a week. I'm thinking I'll run out of touristy things to do and might enjoy involving myself in some lessons of some sort. Not looking for language lessons, but participatory lessons, like dance lessons, or...i dont know.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by flyerred
Any lessons to partake in while at Hong Kong? I'll be in HK for about a week. I'm thinking I'll run out of touristy things to do and might enjoy involving myself in some lessons of some sort. Not looking for language lessons, but participatory lessons, like dance lessons, or...i dont know.
Lessons in haggling free at any market!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
What are the recommended must-do in Guangzhou?

Any recommendation for a good massage place in Shenzhen?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I got a PM from our fellow FT-er and I drew a google map on possible 0.5 day HK Island tour, feel free to use if needed

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...21425406ad5082
Awesome - we have about a 16 hour layover / overnight in january, staying at Grand Hyatt, so perfect for half a day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.