Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Flying to HK this weekend. First time, what to do.

Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:25 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by ktravelbear
Evening sounds good.
Are the HK city trams worth doing?
Not only are they cheap but it's even worth the time. It's just nice to sit down, relax a little from all the sightseeing walking and still see the city while seated
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
Okay, trams are on my list.
Wasn't planning on going to Macau, but with the much heralded premier of the "House of Dancing Water" show I have decided to venture over there for the show. Anything else worth doing over there if you are not in to gambling?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Wasn't planning on going to Macau, but with the much heralded premier of the "House of Dancing Water" show I have decided to venture over there for the show. Anything else worth doing over there if you are not in to gambling?
I highly recommend a visit to A Lorcha for dinner. It's located next to the A-Ma Temple and the Maritime Museum, so it'll be a handy stop after seeing those two sights. I would also recommend a reservation.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:45 pm

What kind of food do they serve at A Lorcha? Is Macau small enough to get around fairly easily? Best to take taxis or public transportation?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: Free agent!
What kind of food do they serve at A Lorcha? Is Macau small enough to get around fairly easily? Best to take taxis or public transportation?
Portuguese food. Google "A Lorcha Macau" and you'll come up with a lot of English reviews, ranging from Frommer's & TripAdvisor to foodie blogs. I'm assuming that if you're in Macau for "House of Dancing Water" that you'll be staying in Cotai? If so, definitely take a taxi. If you're on the Macau peninsula, you could walk if you wanted as we had a nice leisurely walk from A Lorcha to the centre of town after dinner. Then again, taxis are pretty cheap if you'd like to avoid the heat.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:14 pm

I am staying in Tsim Sha Sui and will be taking the ferry/speedboat whatever it is over to Macau for the day, then back to my hotel that evening. The food looks fabulous at A Lorcha!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:54 pm

Thanks for all the information in this sticky, very helpful.

ChrisLi - post 18 is brilliant, thank you so much!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:44 am

Wonderfish Spa!

You could try the Wonderfish Spa, that's a pretty unique and more importantly relaxing thing to do - especially if you've been sightseeing all day long.^
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
A Lorcha in Macau. Go there. Ask for Rico. He'll take good care of you. The food is exquisite. Fantastic place, as is all of Macau.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I got a PM from our fellow FT-er and I drew a google map on possible 0.5 day HK Island tour, feel free to use if needed

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...21425406ad5082
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Here are a few links:
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/usa/...tions/map.html
http://www.timeout.com.hk/
http://hk.asia-city.com/nightlife
^
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:17 am

I would say that the Ozone bar at the top of the new Ritz Carlton is a must for now. Needless to say, the view from the 118th floor is jaw dropping, and the interior design is like nothing I've ever seen. It was so unusual that I just walked around for like 15 minutes just trying to figure it all out! Drinks are average, food is so-so, but everything else makes up for it. Dress the part and you will really enjoy it!

Also, while Victoria Peak is a fantastic experience, it would be hard for me to imagine a place more touristic (I mean, the Peak Mall - c'mon!). We visited in June and while we waited for probably 3 rounds of trams to go up, I figured that the wait to go back down was at least two hours.

So my wife, who is game for anything, brilliantly suggested that we walk back down. The road (which is otherwise closed to motorized vehicles) is paved, well-lighted and very clearly marked with directional signs. And you are probably wondering how many people we encountered on our way down - exactly zero. It was so pleasant on a warm summer evening. I cannot recommend this enough if you are any kind of "walker".
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Everyone here points out a lot, but given that my wife and I have been to HK five times (and will continue to keep going back)...

Lord Stow's in Macau (best Portuguese Egg Tart, in my opinion) - well worth going. My wife and I don't gamble, so on our one and only trip to Macau, we were running out of things to do for the day, and went down there. Great dessert, plus the view of Mainland China and the wind farms was pretty cool!

If you only have a short period, the Peak is great, of course, but if you have a bit longer, are more adventurous or can walk, take part (not all, obvoiusly) of the Hong Kong Trail...my wife and I started from either Quarry Bay or Tai Koo (don't remember), up Mount Parker Rd and walked back down to Causeway Bay...great views of the city and Kowloon (and the Resevoir), but without ANYONE around - we saw absolutely no people during our hike on the HK trail!

-jeremy
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:48 pm

Evenings are great

Great itinerary. Is there a best time to go to the Peak-mornings, evenings?
Evenings are great at the peak. Walk around the paved trail and check out the amazing skyline.

If you want soemthing a little off the beaten path, go over to Lantau from the Central ferry pier and go to the Big Buddha or the fishing Village of Tai O. You can do both. Get off the return bus from either in Tung Fuk and hit the outdoor Restaraunt, "The Gallery" on your way back to the Mui Wo pier.. Tai O, The Big Buddha and The gallery make for a great day. You have Ocean Views (Tai O and The Gallery) and Mountains (the Big Buddha and the Bus Ride Itself).
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Eh? The Gallery really doesn't have ocean views.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.