Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

OT: How to write a cheque (in Hong Kong)

Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

If or if not you have noticed, there is "HK Dollar" predeeding to where you write the amount in full in HK cheques.

****If you do write in English, do you put "Dollars" after you put you put the numbers: eg 'Ninety Dollars Only', or 'Ninety Only'

I think this happens since the grammar rules in English and Chinese are totally different.

Last edited by kaka; Oct 18, 2009 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Thank you for sharing. Also, don't forget to cross out the original issuing bank logo on the upper left corner so that the check can't be endorsed.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
To answer the original question, on the very rare occasions I write a cheque I would write "ninety only" or "ninety and 50 cents" or similar. All the cheque books I have had have already been crossed, and I normally add "a/c payee only" within the crossing.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Or you can write "Ninety and 50/100" or "Ninety and 50/xx".

Besides crossing the corners, one should also cross out the term "Or Bearer" that's printed on the check.

If one writes in Chinese, the number figures may be written in the extra-complicated form:

壹貳叄肆伍陸柒捌玖拾
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That's interesting... I've just noticed that the cheques on both my HSBC Premier accounts (HK & Jersey) come pre-printed as crossed and "A/C payee only", whereas my HK Powervantage account chequebook is uncrossed "or bearer". I wonder why that is?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by christep
That's interesting... I've just noticed that the cheques on both my HSBC Premier accounts (HK & Jersey) come pre-printed as crossed and "A/C payee only", whereas my HK Powervantage account chequebook is uncrossed "or bearer". I wonder why that is?
You can actually request cheque books with either A/C payee only already pre-printed or just uncrossed or bearer with HSBC.

My original HSBC cheque book with PowerVangtage had A/C payee only (which is also the standard in the UK).

However my new cheque books with SCB are in bearer form only, and I would have to add in the cross for A/C payee only.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:05 am

Programs: MPC
always cross out "or bearer" if you happen to have bearer cheques. So some thief who happen upon it cannot cash it.

I write cheques all the time.

"I write ninety nine dollars and 50 cents"

and in the box I put 99-----------50

And you can request:

bearer with/without counterfoil
account payee crossed with/without counterfoil

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.