Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Panama (country) {PAN}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Panama (country) {PAN}

Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by kimslie
Would love to hear what you think of it. If I'm remembering correctly they had some really nice, large suites advertised.
I currently hold two points reservations, one at HI and the other at the new Hilton. Both properties are scheduled to open around the same time, I haven't decided which one to cancel yet. The new Hilton does look nice, right at the water; AXON award of 120K. Decisions, decisions...
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
I currently hold two points reservations, one at HI and the other at the new Hilton. Both properties are scheduled to open around the same time, I haven't decided which one to cancel yet. The new Hilton does look nice, right at the water; AXON award of 120K. Decisions, decisions...
I'm too thrifty to pick the Hilton, probably. I can't believe that you can get a reward room for similar points to what you can earn a night right now.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GfL
I am also seeing the Hampton by Hilton for 5000 HHonors points, for a one-night stay in January. The cost is $79 if you pay cash. It seems rather stunning considering that the Doubletree and HGI go for 30,000 points.

The hotel seems quite new (no reviews yet on TA). Anyone stayed there?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:18 am

Hilton Panama City, Panama vs WA?

Am currently holding two paid reservations for both the Hilton and WA; identical pricing. TA reviews not really providing enough to sway me to either property.

Are there any FT members with recent stays or currently living in the immediate area that have insight to both properties? I'll be here from Christmas through the end of December, not sure if the Hilton EL will be open or on reduced schedule. I do enjoy foreign (non-US) EL's, so if I receive confirmation the Hilton EL will stay open, I will most likely choose Hilton.

Diamond here, so any recent experience regarding perks, etc. are also appreciated.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted in this thread the HI has been providing some really excellent reward redemption rates if you don't want to pay cash:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...nama-city.html
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
As noted in this thread the HI has been providing some really excellent reward redemption rates if you don't want to pay cash:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...nama-city.html
Thanks Jerry, saw that thread earlier. For this trip, I definitely want a full-service property, so I'm looking for intel on both the Hilton and WA.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:43 am

I have stayed at both the Waldorf and the "new" Hilton in Panama.

As of Oct 2014, the Executive Lounge at the Hilton has not opened. Thus, if you are Gold or higher, don't expect the benefits of the lounge. It should open "soon".

Breakfast was included for me at both properties, can't remember if it was a Gold benefit or if it was in the rate. Breakfast was slightly better at the Waldorf, but still great at the Hilton with lots of choices of eggs, bacon, fresh fruits and baked goods. I'm a big breakfast eater and enjoyed them both.

I have stayed at the Hilton twice, the Waldorf once, so I like the Hilton better. Hilton has opportunities for an ocean view, the Waldorf really doesn't, as it is set the block behind the water.

Waldorf had a more 'service oriented' feel to it, as the staff there remembered my name and welcomed me in to the hotel each time I came and went.

The Hilton has an annoying two elevator step process to get to your room. Take an elevator from the ground floor to the lobby, then a second bank of elevators to the room.

The Waldorf room had nicer furnishings and a more "tech" feel to it (lights, drapes, etc.) The Waldorf bathroom had a nicer shower than the Hilton.

Each stay at the Hilton I was given a corner room and told it was a Jr. Suite. It had a bathroom set up with a separate shower and soaking (not jetted) tub. Never used the tub.

Lobby at the Hilton has a bar with the opportunity to overlook the ocean, I don't remember the lobby bar at the Waldorf.

Some of the rooms at the Hilton have balconies (according to the website) but I have never seen one, and would probably be too hot to spend much time on one anyway.

Hilton is right on Avenida Balboa, and has better access to local taxis than the Waldorf. Both hotels have the more expensive and nicer hotel taxis immediately available whenever I wanted.

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to answer other more specific questions!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:58 am

Great! Thanks for the insight...I'm kind of inclined to agree with your assessment of location, view, etc. for the new Hilton. Recently, the nightly rate at the WA dropped down to the same exact amount as the new Hilton (decreased by 50%), so I grabbed a room and have until the day before to cancel without penalty.

As for the EL status, that would explain why I haven't been given a clear answer on potential holiday hours; they just won't tell me anything.

So if the EL at the Hilton is not open by Christmas time, you would still personally favor the Hilton over the WA?

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
I have stayed at both the Waldorf and the "new" Hilton in Panama.

As of Oct 2014, the Executive Lounge at the Hilton has not opened. Thus, if you are Gold or higher, don't expect the benefits of the lounge. It should open "soon".

Breakfast was included for me at both properties, can't remember if it was a Gold benefit or if it was in the rate. Breakfast was slightly better at the Waldorf, but still great at the Hilton with lots of choices of eggs, bacon, fresh fruits and baked goods. I'm a big breakfast eater and enjoyed them both.

I have stayed at the Hilton twice, the Waldorf once, so I like the Hilton better. Hilton has opportunities for an ocean view, the Waldorf really doesn't, as it is set the block behind the water.

Waldorf had a more 'service oriented' feel to it, as the staff there remembered my name and welcomed me in to the hotel each time I came and went.

The Hilton has an annoying two elevator step process to get to your room. Take an elevator from the ground floor to the lobby, then a second bank of elevators to the room.

The Waldorf room had nicer furnishings and a more "tech" feel to it (lights, drapes, etc.) The Waldorf bathroom had a nicer shower than the Hilton.

Each stay at the Hilton I was given a corner room and told it was a Jr. Suite. It had a bathroom set up with a separate shower and soaking (not jetted) tub. Never used the tub.

Lobby at the Hilton has a bar with the opportunity to overlook the ocean, I don't remember the lobby bar at the Waldorf.

Some of the rooms at the Hilton have balconies (according to the website) but I have never seen one, and would probably be too hot to spend much time on one anyway.

Hilton is right on Avenida Balboa, and has better access to local taxis than the Waldorf. Both hotels have the more expensive and nicer hotel taxis immediately available whenever I wanted.

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to answer other more specific questions!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United
I stayed the the WA a year ago. The Hilton wasn't open yet. The service there is top notch. Very Accommodating. I am a Diamond member. The gave me a room that resembled a small apt. Had kitchen, fireplace and bathroom that was bigger than some other rooms I have stayed in.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Westin Platinum, AA Exp Plat
Thumbs up Panama Hilton Executive Lounge Open

Hi all... I spoke with the manager of the Executive Lounge at the Panama Hilton and it opened last month. I will be staying for three nights during Christmas and will report back on my stay at the hotel and the lounge.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:37 am

Has anybody stayed at the Hampton and could share his experience?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Bump on the Hampton by Hilton Panama stay reports. It seems that nobody has mentioned it despite the 5K point redemption. Surely that won't last. I've done extensive research outside FT and the location seems nice but not spectacular - though then again none of the HHonors properties are that close to "Casco Viejo". Just curious if the Hampton would be a good base for a tourist trip that included Canal and Jungle excursions plus some city seeing. Seems like a worthwhile bet since it would cost near nothing but any input appreciated.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Bump on the Hampton by Hilton Panama stay reports. It seems that nobody has mentioned it despite the 5K point redemption. Surely that won't last. I've done extensive research outside FT and the location seems nice but not spectacular - though then again none of the HHonors properties are that close to "Casco Viejo". Just curious if the Hampton would be a good base for a tourist trip that included Canal and Jungle excursions plus some city seeing. Seems like a worthwhile bet since it would cost near nothing but any input appreciated.
Location is fine. I've stayed at the DT which is 1km away, so effectively the same place. In Panama taxis are ubiquitous; they are how everyone gets around. It should not cost more than a few dollars to get to the old city from that location. Aside from staying in Casco Viejo there is not really a great location in the city (and it is questionable whether you'd want to stay in Casco Viejo if it is still one big construction site like it has been the past years). The Hilton is right on the waterfront promenade and I am sure it is a very nice property, but all told considering the differential in points I think that staying at the Hampton would be a no-brainer.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Location is fine. I've stayed at the DT which is 1km away, so effectively the same place. In Panama taxis are ubiquitous; they are how everyone gets around. It should not cost more than a few dollars to get to the old city from that location. Aside from staying in Casco Viejo there is not really a great location in the city (and it is questionable whether you'd want to stay in Casco Viejo if it is still one big construction site like it has been the past years). The Hilton is right on the waterfront promenade and I am sure it is a very nice property, but all told considering the differential in points I think that staying at the Hampton would be a no-brainer.
Much appreciated, arlflyer.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Doubletree or Hilton, Panama City (Pa) ?

Dear FTers,
Any recent stayers at the DT Panama City. DO they have a Exec Lounge and how is it? I was in PC last month and stayed at the Hyatt. DT was walking distance and seemed fine from outside. Also any comments about the Hilton and its lounge. As Diamond, is the chance of Upgrade good at either properties?
Thanks so much..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.