Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 28, 17, 11:41 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: vah4883
Wiki Link
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months + a free weekend night award after first anniversary; $75 annual fee. (If you hold the regular Hilton Amex, you may instead see an upgrade offer for the Surpass card. Use private/incognito browsing mode to see the 75K signup offer.)
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
Check your application status

Is the Amex Surpass churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).
For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 04, 1:50 pm   #1
Moderator, Singapore Airlines, Hilton Honors, Oceania
Original Poster

Programs: up in the air
Arrow The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Posts older than 2014 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum co-moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 30, 16 at 4:47 am
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 14, 11:36 am   #2

Programs: BAEC (Gold), VS (Gold), UA (Silver), PC (Plat), HGP (Dia), HH (Dia)
Late payment - no Diamond yet - should I worry?

I stupidly forgot to pay the $63 statement that closed on Dec 2 until a week after it was due. After paying, a quick live chat with AMEX saw my late fee refunded (first ever late payment for any card).

During December I'd realized that I was just a few thousand short of the $40K for Diamond, so I did a final push which took me there before the month ended.

Now my next statement has closed on Jan 2, but no points have been transferred to HHonors and my status remains Gold.

I called AMEX, and they explained that I'd normally have forfeited the points earned in December, but as a goodwill gesture she has initiated a manual 'push' of the points.

She also assured me that the spend in December that would have contributed to the Diamond status would not have been invalidated due to the late payments, but she also said that I should wait 12 weeks for the status to update.

This sounds a bit too long to me - I'm sure I've read on FT that it normally just takes a day or two after the statement has closed.

I have an 8 day stay in London starting at the end of January and I'd really like my Diamond status to have started by then. Should I just sit tight, or does anyone think I should have anything to be concerned about (in view of the late payment).

Thanks in advance.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 14, 1:20 pm   #3

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I stupidly forgot to pay the $63 statement that closed on Dec 2 until a week after it was due. After paying, a quick live chat with AMEX saw my late fee refunded (first ever late payment for any card).

During December I'd realized that I was just a few thousand short of the $40K for Diamond, so I did a final push which took me there before the month ended.

Now my next statement has closed on Jan 2, but no points have been transferred to HHonors and my status remains Gold.

I called AMEX, and they explained that I'd normally have forfeited the points earned in December, but as a goodwill gesture she has initiated a manual 'push' of the points.

She also assured me that the spend in December that would have contributed to the Diamond status would not have been invalidated due to the late payments, but she also said that I should wait 12 weeks for the status to update.

This sounds a bit too long to me - I'm sure I've read on FT that it normally just takes a day or two after the statement has closed.

I have an 8 day stay in London starting at the end of January and I'd really like my Diamond status to have started by then. Should I just sit tight, or does anyone think I should have anything to be concerned about (in view of the late payment).

Thanks in advance.
It is usually a couple of days at most - have your January points posted and do you have a message on the bottom of your January statement regarding your spending and status qualification?
BrlDsguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 14, 7:26 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
It is usually a couple of days at most - have your January points posted and do you have a message on the bottom of your January statement regarding your spending and status qualification?
The statement, which closed on Jan 2, has the following text at the very end:

Forfeited Points - Current Month
Your qualifying Year-to-Date spend on your Hilton HHonorso Surpass® Card is $0.00. To qualify for Hilton HHonors Diamond Status, you need to have $40,000 qualified spend by December 31st.
As of 01/02/14, you have 16,029 forfeited points available for reinstatement.
Forfeited HHonors points can be reinstated for a fee by calling the number on the back of your Card.
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:36 am   #5

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, AS, WN
Do you get a hard pull if you upgrade your card from the no-fee version to the Surpass?
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:38 am   #6
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Do you get a hard pull if you upgrade your card from the no-fee version to the Surpass?
Nope. There is no pull at all. If you call and ask for the upgrade it will be given to you on the spot.
Dovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 14, 5:07 pm   #7

Quote:
The statement, which closed on Jan 2, has the following text at the very end:

Forfeited Points - Current Month
Your qualifying Year-to-Date spend on your Hilton HHonorso Surpass® Card is $0.00. To qualify for Hilton HHonors Diamond Status, you need to have $40,000 qualified spend by December 31st.
As of 01/02/14, you have 16,029 forfeited points available for reinstatement.
Forfeited HHonors points can be reinstated for a fee by calling the number on the back of your Card.
Panic over. Diamond today.
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:28 pm   #8

Quote:
Panic over. Diamond today.
Did you have to contact them to get the change made, or did it happen on its own?
CFFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:42 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFFrost View Post
Did you have to contact them to get the change made, or did it happen on its own?
It happened on its own.
Old Jan 10, 14, 1:51 pm   #10

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I have an upcoming stay at a Hilton property in San Juan. Does anyone know if I will be charged a foreign transaction fee on my American Express Surpass card if I use it to pay? I also have the Citi Reserve card which has no foreign fees and that is the card I'll be using everywhere else and I'll use it for the hotel as well if needed (just 2 less points per dollar). Just wondering about the surpass card and if Puerto Rico is considered international for fees. Thanks!
hhonors fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:19 pm   #11

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Fairmont Plat, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhonors fan View Post
... Just wondering about the surpass card and if Puerto Rico is considered international for fees. Thanks!
Based on an online chat, charges made in PR are not subject to a foreign transaction fee.

However, I should have taken a screenshot of the chat session so that I had some record of the Q&A in case an issue came up later.
jmd001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 14, 5:56 pm   #12

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
No bonus points for Grocery last month

Unlike previous months, I received no bonus for Grocery spend last month.

I contacted AMEX and politely asked why. After 10 minutes or so, they said they would look into it and send me a secure message.

Jan 4th I got the email that I had a secure message, so logged in and it read something to the effect that they are having an internal problem verifying Grocery spend, and it should be resolved shortly.

Did anyone else not get the bonus for Grocery last month?

I would have pasted a quote from the letter, but apparently today AMEX did away with the 'Secure Message Center'
2B or back in coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:20 pm   #13

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Fairmont Plat, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by overholtm View Post
Did anyone else not get the bonus for Grocery last month?
I was missing some, but not all, of the bonus.

That is, on my statement dated 12/25, it appeared that the bonus for groceries stopped on or about Dec 1. Called Amex, and they said they would fix it ... on the next statement, I assume.
jmd001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 14, 9:00 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd001 View Post
I was missing some, but not all, of the bonus.

That is, on my statement dated 12/25, it appeared that the bonus for groceries stopped on or about Dec 1. Called Amex, and they said they would fix it ... on the next statement, I assume.
Supposed to make them all up for me this month, my statement just closed and in a day or two I'll check my statement online (pdf) and let you all know. Frustrating that I need to be monitoring this "automated process".
notahappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 14, 5:23 pm   #15

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express

Thanks for the reply regarding foreign exchange fees in Puerto Rico. I tried calling AMEX and they just recited the terms and conditions to me but couldn't tell me if Puerto Rico was considered domestic or international. I'll ask again at check-in even though it seems like there won't be any fees.
hhonors fan is offline   Reply With Quote