Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by perkunas
If I get Diamond status by spending $40k on the Surpass card in 2017 (should happen within the next week or two), will I keep Diamond throughout all of 2018 even if I cancel or downgrade Surpass at some point?
We MS 40k every year on this and earn diamond that extend to current year +1.25

I.e. 2017 40k spent, diamond for 2017, 2018, and a bit of 2019
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
We MS 40k every year on this and earn diamond that extend to current year +1.25

I.e. 2017 40k spent, diamond for 2017, 2018, and a bit of 2019
It was my understanding that qualifying by spend yields Diamond status through the end of the following calendar year, and qualifying by stays/nights extends it to March 31 of the end of the following calendar year.

Glad to hear my understanding is flawed!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by fredc84
No, it's very easy. You can call or do a chat while in your account. I always chat. Tell them (Amex) you are showing the wrong HH account number and you need to change it. They will ask for your current HH number. Takes about a day or 2 for it to change on the Amex page...it will be blank in the interim. Do not call/contact Hilton about it.
Thanks - I had Amex chat update this on Sunday. Website still shows blank 5 days later but I'll give it a couple more days.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by ckiggins
Thanks - I had Amex chat update this on Sunday. Website still shows blank 5 days later but I'll give it a couple more days.
Huh, it's usually taken 2 or 3 days for us...but then you never know what is happening internally at Amex. If it's not done by Monday, I'd definitely SM them again.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Guessing answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Recently did Surpass UG. Finished the spend go the 100K. Per info online seems like annual fee charged about 45 days after UG. So no fee charge yet. Can I quickly downgrade and avoid the fee?
Bump, any info from anyone?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Guessing answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Recently did Surpass UG. Finished the spend go the 100K. Per info online seems like annual fee charged about 45 days after UG. So no fee charge yet. Can I quickly downgrade and avoid the fee?
Well, how much is the fee? It appears that you are one of the few who have gone this route, completed the spend, gotten the 100K. Since you are already Diamond, it can't hurt to try to downgrade. Just perhaps be ready to fight if they want their points back.

David
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:00 am

Met the spend back in May, reps told me wait 6-8 weeks. 8 weeks pass and still no bonus. Getting my case escalated.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jjangoo
Met the spend back in May, reps told me wait 6-8 weeks. 8 weeks pass and still no bonus. Getting my case escalated.

Anyone else in the same boat?
How close did you cut the spend? Hit the $3K exact and quit?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:36 am

How close did you cut the spend? Hit the $3K exact and quit?
No I went abundantly over. Around ~$3.5k with a week left. Organic spend too.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jjangoo
No I went abundantly over. Around ~$3.5k with a week left. Organic spend too.
Just checking...recently saw a blog post about people forgetting about paying the annual fee on their bill so they were actually low on spend by that amount.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:49 am

Just checking...recently saw a blog post about people forgetting about paying the annual fee on their bill so they were actually low on spend by that amount.
The rep confirmed that I met the spend so I think I'm ok there. Also confirmed that I had the 100k points offer on my account. She said there were many people calling in because they weren't receiving their sign-up bonuses but I'm not seeing any indication of that reflected here on FT.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Gold/HH
FWIW, I hit my 3K within a month of holding the card in June and the points were almost immediately dumped into my account. I was surprised how fast it took. Hoping the majority of people are in my boat.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA (Gold)
Huh, it's usually taken 2 or 3 days for us...but then you never know what is happening internally at Amex. If it's not done by Monday, I'd definitely SM them again.
I initiated a chat with them this morning (7 days after initial contact) and the chat rep said he saw my request to update my Honors number and it is in process. He said it is supposed to take 7-10 business days to complete.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:48 am

[del]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 23, 2024 at 10:20 am Reason: Joel
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:28 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The extra points per dollar staying at Hilton hotels and the ability to earn Diamond via $40K spending make this card very good for those whom regularly stay at Hilton hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.