Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingerj2016
Is the 85K offer still valid? The link on the wiki seems active but the offer I found on the Amex website is only 60K. I am confused!
The "most obvious" offer is often worse than a less-publicized one (and not just in this case).

So, yes, the 85k offer is still valid, but only if you know the link.

It's just like there'a a bunch of Citi AA MC 50k miles offers always valid if you know the link, but at AA's website or Citi's website most of the time the public Citi AA MC offer maxes out at 30k miles.

The highest offers are often only marketed to a limited audience (and copied here from there), while the "widely available" offers are often not as high.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:52 am

Thank you all for confirmation. I am pretty new to this.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The "most obvious" offer is often worse than a less-publicized one (and not just in this case).

So, yes, the 85k offer is still valid, but only if you know the link.

It's just like there'a a bunch of Citi AA MC 50k miles offers always valid if you know the link, but at AA's website or Citi's website most of the time the public Citi AA MC offer maxes out at 30k miles.

The highest offers are often only marketed to a limited audience (and copied here from there), while the "widely available" offers are often not as high.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
100k offer

Public offer is now 100k with spending requirement $3000/3 months; available through May 4 2016.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Public offer is now 100k with spending requirement $3000/3 months; available through May 4 2016.
Something odd afoot: when I visit https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...honors-surpass, I see a 50K offer, not 100K. Have never held this card.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by beltway
Something odd afoot: when I visit https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...honors-surpass, I see a 50K offer, not 100K. Have never held this card.
Odd indeed. When I click the same link I get this .

Did you try an incognito browser?

Last edited by AirD0c; Mar 31, 2016 at 7:30 am
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by beltway
Same thing appears for me, but I have the no fee Amex Hilton and it shows 50k to upgrade my card. Opening in incognito or in a different browser shows the 100k offer.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Since my husband already has this Amex Surpass card, I thought of applying for my own...but it seems Hilton does not allow you to easily combine points, but rather you must gift them for a fee.

So I was just looking at other Hilton cards, and currently the Hilton Visa Signature has an offer, expiring TODAY (3/31), that gives you 75,000 bonus points, no annual fee, must spend only $2,000 in first 3 mos. Of course does not have the same earnings - only 6 at Hilton, 3 at drug stores/gas stations (and something else), and 2 at everything else.

But for anyone else in a similar situation to us I think it sounds like a great alternative to get some bonus points.

The no annual fee put it over the top for us.

Here's the link: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...694C8580E77D17
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Since my husband already has this Amex Surpass card, I thought of applying for my own...but it seems Hilton does not allow you to easily combine points, but rather you must gift them for a fee.

So I was just looking at other Hilton cards, and currently the Hilton Visa Signature has an offer, expiring TODAY (3/31), that gives you 75,000 bonus points, no annual fee, must spend only $2,000 in first 3 mos. Of course does not have the same earnings - only 6 at Hilton, 3 at drug stores/gas stations (and something else), and 2 at everything else.

But for anyone else in a similar situation to us I think it sounds like a great alternative to get some bonus points.

The no annual fee put it over the top for us.

Here's the link: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...694C8580E77D17
Keep in mind that though you may not be able to merge accounts you can book a room under your account for your husband. Either for him or add him to your reservation. So getting the better offer may work out for you guys, GL.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So I was just looking at other Hilton cards, and currently the Hilton Visa Signature has an offer, expiring TODAY (3/31), that gives you 75,000 bonus points, no annual fee, must spend only $2,000 in first 3 mos.
Note that there's a separate thread dedicated to the base Hilton Visa (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ki-choose.html), as well as a master thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html, compiling the various Amex & Citi Hilton product offers. Both have wikis with 75K offers listed. (This one, despite the date in the URL, seems to be unreported; I'll add it to the other wikis shortly.)
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Does the bonus for this card post before statement close? I just received 100k points in my account and can't figure out where they came from.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by invalyd
Does the bonus for this card post before statement close? I just received 100k points in my account and can't figure out where they came from.
I have found Amex often posts bonus points shortly after spend requirement is met, rather than after the corresponding statement closes.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo
I have found Amex often posts bonus points shortly after spend requirement is met, rather than after the corresponding statement closes.
Correct. Amex differs from Citi & Chase in this respect.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:42 am

I already have the Amex Hilton with no annual fee. Just today, I logged on and found that my Hilton is eligible to upgrade to Surpass card with 100K point bonus after $3k spending. Should I upgrade or should I apply as a new card for the same offer? If I upgrade, is it possible to downgrade in the future since I still want to keep the no annual fee card for the long run? If so, how soon can I downgrade?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I have a question about the points. Is there a place were I can see how many points I get per charge (transaction)?
I would like to see a breakdown for each transaction showing how many points it got me.
I put my groceries and gas on this card. I have read here before that some groceries stores like Walmart do not count because they are not really just a grocery store.
Is there a list of grocery stores on Amex website?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jrey
I already have the Amex Hilton with no annual fee. Just today, I logged on and found that my Hilton is eligible to upgrade to Surpass card with 100K point bonus after $3k spending. Should I upgrade or should I apply as a new card for the same offer? If I upgrade, is it possible to downgrade in the future since I still want to keep the no annual fee card for the long run? If so, how soon can I downgrade?
If you want to keep the no-annual-fee card for the long run, then I don't know why you would jump through hoops to upgrade and downgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.