FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Checking-out the same day you check-in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/930509-checking-out-same-day-you-check.html)

gms Mar 10, 2009 7:35 am

Checking-out the same day you check-in

I have an overnight stay a booked at a Hilton later this week. It was an advance purchase option (so non-refundable). I was originally going to catch a flight the following morning, but my travel plans have changed and I will now need to fly out late evening the same day I am due to check into the hotel.

I still plan to check-in and use the hotel room for a few hours to catch up on work. I assume I would still receive points/miles for the stay, even though I am not staying overnight?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere a couple of searches did not reveal any relevant threads.

flyinbob Mar 10, 2009 8:01 am

Just call the hotel the next day and check out by phone. Otherwise you may lose points, since I don't think you get points for day rates.

cordelli Mar 10, 2009 8:39 am

There's no need to even bother checking out, just make sure they have you set up for express checkout when you register. Just leave the keys on the desk or whatever and off you go.

I would not assume any points or stay credit if they check you out on the same day you checked in, so I would not do it that way, just go when you need to go, they will figure it out without any problem.

hbyerly Mar 10, 2009 8:42 am

I did this in Mainz (near FRA) a few months ago and had no problem getting points and stay credit. My guess is it's all about the rate. If you're on an overnight rate, you should get overnight points/credit.

danger Mar 16, 2010 2:07 am

I have a 'day use' room at the Conrad Centennial in Singapore later this year to use in between flights. It's booked as a 'day use' room from 12pm to 6pm. Am I likely to get a night credit for this? The rate is a hefty SGD180 with the full rate being about SGD260.

obs Mar 16, 2010 3:53 am

Originally Posted by danger (Post 13584528)
I have a 'day use' room at the Conrad Centennial in Singapore later this year to use in between flights. It's booked as a 'day use' room from 12pm to 6pm. Am I likely to get a night credit for this? The rate is a hefty SGD180 with the full rate being about SGD260.

Day rates qualify as a stay and you will get the points. I have done this many times at Heathrow and Gatwick airport Hiltons.

Regards

Obs

FLYGVA Mar 16, 2010 5:02 am

I have checked out the same day at the Hilton Düsseldorf three hours after I checked in due to a business emergency.

I asked about the points while I checked out and was told, points should not be a problem. They posted as promised withou any problem.

However, ymmv

Keyser Mar 16, 2010 5:31 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 11390256)
Just call the hotel the next day and check out by phone. Otherwise you may lose points, since I don't think you get points for day rates.

day rates qualify for points & stay credit....

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 11390430)
There's no need to even bother checking out, just make sure they have you set up for express checkout when you register. Just leave the keys on the desk or whatever and off you go.

I would not assume any points or stay credit if they check you out on the same day you checked in, so I would not do it that way, just go when you need to go, they will figure it out without any problem.

since you don't physically need to be at the desk to checkout, this may be a good option....but once again, day rates would get you the points & credit....

Originally Posted by danger (Post 13584528)

you will definitely get the points & stay credit....i do this 7-8 times a year when i am travelling to dubai....i often have day trips & my flight in & out makes it very easy for me to finish my business & get some rest at the hotel....

my flight gets in really early in the morning so i go directly to the hotel & check-in....i leave for my arbitration around 10 in the morning & am usually done by 5-6 pm....then i come back to the hotel to relax for a few hours before heading back to the airport for my 2am flight....

i have never had a problem with these stays....

trm2 Mar 16, 2010 6:18 am

I've checked in, dropped my keys at express checkout 30 minutes later and received credit. You shouldn't have any problems.

Jacquelyn Hyde Mar 16, 2010 10:30 am

Along the same lines, does one get credit if the night is paid for but no one checks in? My colleague wanted to make status, so he thought it possible to find a low rate somewhere, book and pay for it, but never check in. I didn't think it was possible, but it never hurts to ask...

karenkay Mar 16, 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde (Post 13586512)
Along the same lines, does one get credit if the night is paid for but no one checks in? My colleague wanted to make status, so he thought it possible to find a low rate somewhere, book and pay for it, but never check in. I didn't think it was possible, but it never hurts to ask...

your colleague WILL need to check in...but s/he doesn't need to actually stay. there are some reports of phone check-in working at some properties, i've never found one.

Keyser Mar 16, 2010 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde (Post 13586512)

check-in is definitely required....otherwise it will count as a no show....

Originally Posted by karenkay (Post 13586543)
your colleague WILL need to check in...but s/he doesn't need to actually stay. there are some reports of phone check-in working at some properties, i've never found one.

even i have heard people say they managed to get away with phone check-in but i seriously doubt that would work....

jbcarioca Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm

I do this often. The points always post. I usually just leave the keys and opt for express checkout.

mnredfox Mar 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Express or call the next day...

Keyser Mar 17, 2010 1:07 am

for those people looking to use express or phone checkout, please keep in mind that this option is not available in most properties in asia, middle east & europe....you have to be physically present to check out....