Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Award Search "Issue"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Interesting Award Search "Issue"

This weekend, I was booking a hotel for my friends in Chicago with points on www.hilton.com . It was St.Patty's day weekend, so I understood why I could only find a hotel or two with room (two embassy suites). In performing the exact same search a minute later on www.EmbassySuites.com , I returned a far different result! Many more hotels open, and some hotels which were open before were closed (hiltons open, suites closed)! I went back to www.hilton.com to see the results were identical to my first search attempt. My next embassy suites search looked like my second. It appears as if Hilton screens the brand you may be searching for in an attempt to have you pay cash for customers who are inclined to stay at a particular hotel.

So -if you search and your award stay is unavb, try searching another brand's site!

Jon
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
very interesting....
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Thanks

Originally Posted by jfranci3
This weekend, I was booking a hotel for my friends in Chicago with points on www.hilton.com . It was St.Patty's day weekend, so I understood why I could only find a hotel or two with room (two embassy suites). In performing the exact same search a minute later on www.EmbassySuites.com , I returned a far different result! Many more hotels open, and some hotels which were open before were closed (hiltons open, suites closed)! I went back to www.hilton.com to see the results were identical to my first search attempt. My next embassy suites search looked like my second. It appears as if Hilton screens the brand you may be searching for in an attempt to have you pay cash for customers who are inclined to stay at a particular hotel.

So -if you search and your award stay is unavb, try searching another brand's site!

Jon
Thank you so much. Most helpful. Texas Duck
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
What search criteria where you using? I used Chicago, March 19-March 21 (assuming that's what you meant by St Patrick's day weekend... St Patrick's day is a Wednesday this year so either last weekend or the coming weekend could easily be called St Patrick's day weekend and I didn't look up to see when Chicago has its parade) and I can't recreate what you are seeing. I see both hilton.com and embassysuites.com show the same award availability.

The one thing that I do see is that on embassysuites.com it sorts the Embassy Suites at the top of the list (as one would expect) and on hilton.com I see it sorted by Relevance. Personally, their idea of relevance never matches my idea of relevance so I always sort by distance and re-order the list. However, after taking into account that "relevance" is used to sort on hilton.com, I see the same hotels available between the two sites.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by treznor
What search criteria where you using? I used Chicago, March 19-March 21 (assuming that's what you meant by St Patrick's day weekend... St Patrick's day is a Wednesday this year so either last weekend or the coming weekend could easily be called St Patrick's day weekend and I didn't look up to see when Chicago has its parade) and I can't recreate what you are seeing. I see both hilton.com and embassysuites.com show the same award availability.

The one thing that I do see is that on embassysuites.com it sorts the Embassy Suites at the top of the list (as one would expect) and on hilton.com I see it sorted by Relevance. Personally, their idea of relevance never matches my idea of relevance so I always sort by distance and re-order the list. However, after taking into account that "relevance" is used to sort on hilton.com, I see the same hotels available between the two sites.
Chicago usually celebrates the weekend before St.Pats.
I searched last Thursday for a Saturday night room. Among others, the Palmer Hilton was noted as not avb on Hilton.com for an award stay, but the Embassy Suites (both) were. On the ES website, the situation was reversed. I was logged in both times to my account (I'm diamond).

I am aware of the sorting difference - I'm not a novice!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Here, it works for this weekend too! Go reward stays, 5mi of Chicogo IL search on both sites.

Same search criteria, same browser session, both logged into my account:
hilton.com

embassySuites.com
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:33 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Very interesting. It is worth to try that while booking paid stays and it says no availability
Thanx
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I often find that when I search Hilton.com for award stays, many properties will show as Diamond Desk only. Then if I repeat the search a couple of minutes later, suddenly those same properties are all available for standard award stays. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've just chalked it up to Hilton.com being a buggy website.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jfranci3
Here, it works for this weekend too! Go reward stays, 5mi of Chicogo IL search on both sites.

Same search criteria, same browser session, both logged into my account:
hilton.com

embassySuites.com
That is quite weird. Even weirder is that I'm pretty sure I looked at the Parker earlier tonight when I first responded to your post and it showed as available on both sites, but now its a diamond force on hilton.com.

I wouldn't trust any result set with the number of Diamond Forces on the hilton.com site... I'd assume that something was going on with the site and call (even though its a hassle). Good catch on noticing that availability shows up on other hilton websites though.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Some weird stuff going on at the hilton sites now. I did a search for rooms for tomorrow and all showed "Diamond Stay only" and did a search 3 min later and all showed available.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jkm024
just chalked it up to Hilton.com being a buggy website.
i could not agree more....
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Just because it shows up on the search page does not mean they have any available. Once you click on the link to check for your dates on the actual reservations page, most likely it will give you the errors in red saying to pick another location or date because nothing is available.

-Kevn
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:55 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Some weird stuff going on at the hilton sites now. I did a search for rooms for tomorrow and all showed "Diamond Stay only" and did a search 3 min later and all showed available.
I have seen this behavior too, in fact usually if you can click to the next page then click back it "fixes" it and you'll see the correct availability that way.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
I have seen this behavior too, in fact usually if you can click to the next page then click back it "fixes" it and you'll see the correct availability that way.
i'm sure the folks at hilton are aware of this issue....wonder when it will get fixed....there seems to be a lot of problems with the hilton site & its been there for a while....
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beckles
That's exactly what I did. When all hotels are sold out, something sounds fishy (unless it's like some big convention).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.