Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by nyc1234
is there public transport available to the hotel from kl sentral or what's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

thanks!
From KL Sentral to the hotel : You just walk around 2-3minutes till their reception.

Airport to Hotel : The best was using ERL or Taxi around RM70
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Putra
at the airport i was quoted rm110 for the taxi....
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
From KL Sentral to the hotel : You just walk around 2-3minutes till their reception.
This is true about Hilton KL which is indeed near Central railway station, but this thread is about new DoubleTree KL, which is near Ampang Park shopping mall and RapidKL Light Rail Transit station.

Just returned from New Year journey to Kuala Lumpur, where I stayed right there at DoubleTree KL From DoubleTree one can cross the street via covered walkway to Ampang Park shopping mall and trough it to Ampang Park RapidKL Light Rail Transit station, and then to KL Sentral railway station and from there on express train to the KUL airport.

Much simpler way certainly is simply to ask hotel staff to arrange transportation to (or from) airport. It might be not so terribly expensive, at least if not exactly limo has been wanted In comparison, even going up and down the steep metallic steps of walkway over the street with any significant luggage in your hands would be physically hard.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Only red and white wine in the lounge ?!? Nooo !
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by mandc2000
Only red and white wine in the lounge ?!? Nooo !
Somehow I was lucky to get there also some J&B Whiskey... But no Cognac...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by hbush
This is true about Hilton KL which is indeed near Central railway station, but this thread is about new DoubleTree KL, which is near Ampang Park shopping mall and RapidKL Light Rail Transit station.

Just returned from New Year journey to Kuala Lumpur, where I stayed right there at DoubleTree KL From DoubleTree one can cross the street via covered walkway to Ampang Park shopping mall and trough it to Ampang Park RapidKL Light Rail Transit station, and then to KL Sentral railway station and from there on express train to the KUL airport.

Much simpler way certainly is simply to ask hotel staff to arrange transportation to (or from) airport. It might be not so terribly expensive, at least if not exactly limo has been wanted In comparison, even going up and down the steep metallic steps of walkway over the street with any significant luggage in your hands would be physically hard.
My bad.....I post this by mistake not looking for a title properly.

KL Sentral - DoubleTree = RM15 using coupon.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:10 am

@putra - KL Sentral - DoubleTree = RM15 using coupon

what do you mean by that?

@hbush - would you recommend staying at the doubletree? how was the service in the lounge? in tripadvisor someone wrote about a very noisy contruction site next door - what was your experience about this?

2 years ago i stayed at the hilton and enjoyed it quite a lot - so maybe now the doubletree...

thanks!!!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:55 am

@putra - KL Sentral - DoubleTree = RM15 using coupon

what do you mean by that?

@hbush - would you recommend staying at the doubletree? how was the service in the lounge? in tripadvisor someone wrote about a very noisy contruction site next door - what was your experience about this?

2 years ago i stayed at the hilton and enjoyed it quite a lot - so maybe now the doubletree...

thanks!!!
Taxi in KL Sentral use a coupon. You have to buy coupon from their counter and passed it to the Driver waiting in line. Hope this answer your query.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:05 am

In short - it depends on what you plan to do during your stay. During last years I have stayed several times at Hilton KL and now for about a week in DT KL. I would say that if you are going to get first overall impressions about Kuala Lumpur and surroundings, to order individual guided tours, to attend some temples, to go somewhere on a train etc. than I would probably choose old good Hilton KL.

But if you want to do some non-supervised shopping, to go around on your own in-and-out of the hotel, to use public transportation system, to mix into day and night life of a big town - then DT might be preferrable. Certainly this is very oversimplified, just tried to show the difference (in my subjective view).

DT Lounge staff is very friendly and helpful, no exaggeration there. Just talk to them if you have any question or problem. I always received perfect answers and explanations (special thanks to Priya). For example, I asked about computer and electronics store Plaza Low Yat. While I was still sipping my double espresso coffee, she was back with individually prepared for me and printed (!) paper which contained everything I might need - precise name of store, address, tel. and fax no., operating hours, how to get there from DT. In addition, there was information about two more stores nearby (like, if you already will be there...), plus map with all these places marked on it, and related Rapid Transport stations as well. I was really impressed

Food and drinks in the lounge were maybe not that impressive. I mean, nothing comparable to Conrad Bangkok The choice however was slightly better in Hilton KL. But DT lounge also has quite decent breakfast. Certainly Makan Kitchen buffet in DT has orders of magnitude better choices for breakfast, and even more for dinner. Beverages in both Hilton and DT lounges are available for about two hours in the evening, some light food is also served. In Hilton there are more choices for drinks and food, but anyway in both places you will have to ask some lounge warden each time to get a drink. When lounge gets crowded, it can take some time. No booze menu in DT you have to ask and be prepared to receive apologies instead of, for example, cognac. I was able to get red wine, white wine, whiskey.

About construction site: there is indeed one right nearby the DoubleTree. However in my room I didn't hear any noise. Probably because my room and window was on the opposite side of building. At least, it should be possible to ask for less noisy room at checkin.

Generally it was nice stay for me. And first time in my life - New Year in Asia
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:17 am

In short - it depends on what you plan to do during your stay. During last years I have stayed several times at Hilton KL and now for about a week in DT KL. I would say that if you are going to get first overall impressions about Kuala Lumpur and surroundings, to order individual guided tours, to attend some temples, to go somewhere on a train etc. than I would probably choose old good Hilton KL.

But if you want to do some non-supervised shopping, to go around on your own in-and-out of the hotel, to use public transportation system, to mix into day and night life of a big town - then DT might be preferrable. Certainly this is very oversimplified, just tried to show the difference (in my subjective view).

DT Lounge staff is very friendly and helpful, no exaggeration there. Just talk to them if you have any question or problem. I always received perfect answers and explanations (special thanks to Priya). For example, I asked about computer and electronics store Plaza Low Yat. While I was still sipping my double espresso coffee, she was back with individually prepared for me and printed (!) paper which contained everything I might need - precise name of store, address, tel. and fax no., operating hours, how to get there from DT. In addition, there was information about two more stores nearby (like, if you already will be there...), plus map with all these places marked on it, and related Rapid Transport stations as well. I was really impressed

Food and drinks in the lounge were maybe not that impressive. I mean, nothing comparable to Conrad Bangkok The choice however was slightly better in Hilton KL. But DT lounge also has quite decent breakfast. Certainly Makan Kitchen buffet in DT has orders of magnitude better choices for breakfast, and even more for dinner. Beverages in both Hilton and DT lounges are available for about two hours in the evening, some light food is also served. In Hilton there are more choices for drinks and food, but anyway in both places you will have to ask some lounge warden each time to get a drink. When lounge gets crowded, it can take some time. No booze menu in DT you have to ask and be prepared to receive apologies instead of, for example, cognac. I was able to get red wine, white wine, whiskey.

About construction site: there is indeed one right nearby the DoubleTree. However in my room I didn't hear any noise. Probably because my room and window was on the opposite side of building. At least, it should be possible to ask for less noisy room at checkin.

Generally it was nice stay for me. And first time in my life - New Year in Asia

Nice to hear that Doubletree delivered their warm service for you but it doesn't worked out for me. Its a big gap for the level of service I got between Hilton and Doubletree.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:29 am

Nice to hear that Doubletree delivered their warm service for you but it doesn't worked out for me. Its a big gap for the level of service I got between Hilton and Doubletree.
Buddhists might say that your satisfaction depends on your expectations In my experience staying (among other Hilton family hotels) at different DoubleTrees, this new DoubleTree Kuala Lumpur was good and well worth staying there. First DoubleTree in Asia, anyway!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:32 am

Buddhists might say that your satisfaction depends on your expectations In my experience staying (among other Hilton family hotels) at different DoubleTrees, this new DoubleTree Kuala Lumpur was good and well worth staying there. First DoubleTree in Asia, anyway!
Haha yes. My last stayed there was the 3rd day after they opened. Might revisit for upcoming weekend.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Just completed two stays.

Booked an Executive suite and got that - have to admit that 3401 is in a good location - on the Executive Floor so not far too walk

No cookie at check in which should of indicated what was too follow. Lounge staff first two nights disappeared in the evening and generally unhelpful and not very well motivated - talked to the Duty Manager second night as felt sorry for the one member of staff who did actually work and engage with the very few guests and third night - hey presto - it was the service you expect from a Hilton (ok it's a Doubletree) - items cleared quickly, glasses refilled prompty and all staff visible !

Revisited for another night and given an upgrade to the same suite and the stellar service was apparent in the Executive Lounge. Bit afraid as they took my photo for future visits (!) or is that too be banned for drinking them dry ?

Given breakfast on the 11th Floor - Melakan ? which was excellent and was nice to be fussed over on our last morning !

Heard that they'd let a lot of staff go as trade wasn't great ...

Would I revisit - on an cheaper rate that Hilton KL yes but otherwise would choose to stay near KL Central.

Hotel has some buikding work around it (another tower which will probably block views) Work didn't disturb me though.

Score 7 out of 10

Last edited by mandc2000; Feb 19, 2011 at 1:09 am Reason: grammar
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
at the airport i was quoted rm110 for the taxi....
Just an update. At the LCCT, I took a Premier Taxi (as opposed to a budget taxi), to the Doubletree Hotel, and the cost was RM118; July 2011.

Don't be put off by the words "Premier Taxi." It simply means it's a little bigger car. In my case, it was a Cefiro, and it was a nice ride. Not luxurious, but clean, well kept, with excellent air conditioning.

I didn't ask about the cost of the budget taxi, but I believe it's about RM70, or less, according to the last update of the online taxi-fare schedule.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:58 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Update for July 2011

Update on Doubletree, Kuala Lumpur; July 10-17, 2011.

I purchased a one-week, non-refundable, GREAT GETAWAY package with deluxe room, which included breakfast. I'm very pleased, so far, and I'm in my fifth day.

I was upgraded, without asking, to a one-bedroom suite on the 26th Floor (not the Executive Floor). As usual (per HHONORS status), I have been provided access to the Executive Lounge.

I haven't tried breakfast in the Makan Kitchen (main kitchen on 11th Floor). I've taken my breakfast in the Executive Lounge, only. Why? For me, the breakfast in the Executive Lounge is perfect! It's reasonably quiet, there are plenty of items to choose from (but I'm certain it's far less selection than the main kitchen), and the service is very good! Also, the view is terrific, and the wireless connectivity is reliable.

I don't stay at a lot of 5-star hotels, so please consider this in my discussion.

This Doubletree has exceeded my expectations. The 1-bedroom suite (received as an upgrade) is fabulous! My only minor complaint is the relatively small size of the in-room refrigerator, and the lack of a microwave, which I believe, is common for 5-star properties to omit.

NOTE ABOUT ONGOING CONSTRUCTION: Next door, there's construction. As I'm typing this FT post, I'm looking out the 26th Floor, facing south, and the building next door is almost at my level. Most importantly, the noise level is very low. I barely hear anything. It's possible rooms on the lower floors may be exposed to more noise. If you intend to walk to the subway (Ampang Park) from the main entrance of the hotel, it's not much of a problem, but you will have to navigate through (sidestep around) a couple of construction barriers.

This Doubletree has an excellent fitness center (Precor cardio equipment), including elliptical trainers and reclining bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.