Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
I checked in today on an award stay (made prior to the denomination of HHonors points). Very nice property indeed. As a HHonors Diamond I got upgrade to a Junior Suite with very nice view outside. It is a very large single room with a very big bathroom. We've got separate bath, shower, 2 sinks and and isolated toilet.

My wife, my daughter and myself are staying here. It is a lovely little town Versailles. There are sheep outside No lounge here but I got a drink voucher for 3 persons. We also got 3 litters (2 regular & 2 sparkling) bottles of water in room

Taxi from CDG was EUR 63+tip.

No breakfast but I am sure tomorrow we'll find something nearby for breakfast.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by COFF-Platinum
If you do not drive a quarter million euro car, you will not be welcomed in this hotel...
Just started reading this thread and ^^ to the above quote. I spent a night here on points in July and the service was horrible for us peasant folk*. Some of the problems: We were exiled out of the main building because it "was a busy time of year" [even as a diamond with a long lead time for the reservation], the promised swag, water, chocolates, etc, never made it to the room, and a wait time of close to an hour for a taxi back to the train station (fault of the concierge - because I wasn't in a suit?). The folks working there really didn't seem all that bothered to do anything to make the stay more enjoyable. Now if this was a local 1 or 2 star-ish hotel, none of these things really matter. But at 50K HH points/night, and a W-A hotel, I expected a lot more - maybe the PH Vendome spoiled me? I won't go back to the Trianon.

* - I did speak to a manager about the poor service as I was checking out and he was the complete professional. He offered a free night to make up for the poor service. I had reservations in Paris so the manager simply refunded the HH points.

Cheers -
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: BA silver
Pavilion vs Main building question

Hello,

We took advantage of the Hilton "Any weekend, anywhere" sale including breakfast and booked a King Classic guest room at the Trianon Palace Versailles for 6 nights in August 2011. I understand that this room type is located in the Pavilion building not the Main building.

I would like to know what the differences are between the two buildings and what we can expect if we don't get upgraded to the Main building?

Because of my gold status, my reservation states that I will be upgraded to a King Classic w/garden view which is also in the Pavilion, but I would like to know if any other GOLD members have been upgraded beyond the one level upgrade that is offered for free? I can select the E-Standby upgrade for the King Deluxe guest room in the Main building for an additional 39 euros a night, but wondering if it's worth it or should I hold out for a free upgrade to this room type?

I have never stayed at this property, so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't know the difference between the two buildings. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cielak
Hello,

We took advantage of the Hilton "Any weekend, anywhere" sale including breakfast and booked a King Classic guest room at the Trianon Palace Versailles for 6 nights in August 2011. I understand that this room type is located in the Pavilion building not the Main building.

I would like to know what the differences are between the two buildings and what we can expect if we don't get upgraded to the Main building?

Because of my gold status, my reservation states that I will be upgraded to a King Classic w/garden view which is also in the Pavilion, but I would like to know if any other GOLD members have been upgraded beyond the one level upgrade that is offered for free? I can select the E-Standby upgrade for the King Deluxe guest room in the Main building for an additional 39 euros a night, but wondering if it's worth it or should I hold out for a free upgrade to this room type?

I have never stayed at this property, so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't know the difference between the two buildings. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I stayed there using Certs. this past May. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a very nice room in the old building with a partial view of Versailles- I could see basically see the roof of the main palace building. That's about the best anyone can get as the hotel is laid out perpendicular to the palace and only the rooms in the end, above the entrance, have any chance of a view, and i think there are only two of the per floor, maybe three. I walked through the whole hotel but didn't see inside any of the rooms in the addition. The two are connected by a tunnel which runs underneath the garden mentioned in your room description. The hotel itself is isn't very large, doesn't give that 'grand old world elegant hotel' vibe, IMO. The elevator sin the old building are very small, will hold maybe 3 people sans luggage. My thought is that you're not gong to feel like it's much of a treat to stay there unless you're in the original part of the hotel.
Also, you won't get any type of breakfast comped and there isn't anything closer than a 10-15 minute walk around to buy anything outside the hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Notenut
I stayed there using Certs. this past May. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a very nice room in the old building with a partial view of Versailles- I could see basically see the roof of the main palace building. That's about the best anyone can get as the hotel is laid out perpendicular to the palace and only the rooms in the end, above the entrance, have any chance of a view, and i think there are only two of the per floor, maybe three. I walked through the whole hotel but didn't see inside any of the rooms in the addition. The two are connected by a tunnel which runs underneath the garden mentioned in your room description. The hotel itself is isn't very large, doesn't give that 'grand old world elegant hotel' vibe, IMO. The elevator sin the old building are very small, will hold maybe 3 people sans luggage. My thought is that you're not gong to feel like it's much of a treat to stay there unless you're in the original part of the hotel.
Also, you won't get any type of breakfast comped and there isn't anything closer than a 10-15 minute walk around to buy anything outside the hotel.
Thank you for your informative response.

Our rate already includes breakfast, so that is not an issue.

I'm wondering more about the possible upgrade as a GOLD member to the main building and wondering if it's worth spending the extra 39 euros a night to do the E standby upgrade at check in or if we should just stay in the pavilion building.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:23 pm

To me, although it may be nicer to be in the original building, it wouldn't be worth the extra charge- it's not like you're getting extra service out of it, and the view won't be anything to write home about either. I would go with the expectation of staying in the new wing and be grateful of an upgrade if it come along.
An email to the hotel a week or so beforehand giving them a reason why an upgrade would be appreciated, if warranted, couldn't hurt.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
My parents and I are going to Paris and would like to stay there. However, we definitely need 3 beds. Any suggestions other than booking 2 rooms? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:15 am

We had a room with a King to which they added a roll-away for my 11 yr old son.
I emailed the hotel about it when we made the reservation and was told the roll-away would be with no charge. However when checking out there was a charge, something like 40060 euros. I had brought with me a print out of the email and after some hemming and hawing they took the charge off.

Your best bet would be to communicate directly with the hotel.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
The "Triple" Upgrade

A few nights back (Thursday) we stayed on an award stay (one of last year's certs from the stay 4, get 1 promo) at the Trianon Waldorf. We walked from the Rive Droite train station the 20 min or so to the hotel--pleasant walk, smooth sidewalk that's easy on the roll-aboard. Upon registering we were told that the hotel currently is renovating the hammam (actually, we had received an apologetic e-mail beforehand) and that, because of my Diamond status and the renovation, we had received a "triple" upgrade to a junior suite. The suite was very big, with very nice furnishings, a gorgeously appointed bathroom (superior shower, wonderful tub, double sinks, heated marble floor), and a direct view of the Trianon Palace gardens. The suite was on the second floor of the "old" building.

Additionally, we had been given two drinks in the very quiet bar--I wouldn't pay 18 euro for a Cosmopolitan, but I sure take it for free. We were not so sure whether my companion's Macallan was the real thing (25 euro, and she swears it wasn't right), but what the heck....

Bedding was perfect, the place was super quiet, in the morning we were woken up by the sound of birds (we'd left the window cracked). No, no breakfast, but free WiFi for Diamond.

Overall, I can see how being stuck away in the "new" building would be somewhat unsatisfying, but with our experience I can only give this place a 5-star rating. Definitely won't (yes, that's won't) go back since triple upgrades happen only once every century!
Old May 8, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH, FB, PC, SPG, UA
New hamam and sauna on premise (but what a shame !)

Returning from a recent stay, they have changed the haman (big, a bit so dark but all in marble) with a new one (small, just room for 6, all in plastic). They have add a new sauna (also small with the same size) to replace the other sauna not in use since a lot of time. All these 2 one are place on site of the old hamman. This is a catastrophic renovation. Fully destroying the style of the fitness atmosphere ! And at least not enought space when you stay during a week end period. A big thank to the front desk manager and his staff. Efficient, full recognition of the Hilton status and ready to make our stay pleasant and confortable. The worst point from this hotel is the food. The quality of food and the organisation of services (breakfast, lunch, snacks ...) are decreasing so fast during this last years. We have too wait more than a half hour for a burger and ceasar salad (very hard to do ...isn'it !) with an obsolete salad and no dressing inside. And about beakfast time it's ... a long queue to be seated and a longtime to be served (if you ask for an omelette ou something not on the buffet). Do this hotel continue to be a Waldorf Astoria Brand ?
Old May 8, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by danielpascal
Returning from a recent stay, they have changed the haman (big, a bit so dark but all in marble) with a new one (small, just room for 6, all in plastic). They have add a new sauna (also small with the same size) to replace the other sauna not in use since a lot of time. All these 2 one are place on site of the old hamman. This is a catastrophic renovation. Fully destroying the style of the fitness atmosphere ! And at least not enought space when you stay during a week end period. A big thank to the front desk manager and his staff. Efficient, full recognition of the Hilton status and ready to make our stay pleasant and confortable. The worst point from this hotel is the food. The quality of food and the organisation of services (breakfast, lunch, snacks ...) are decreasing so fast during this last years. We have too wait more than a half hour for a burger and ceasar salad (very hard to do ...isn'it !) with an obsolete salad and no dressing inside. And about beakfast time it's ... a long queue to be seated and a longtime to be served (if you ask for an omelette ou something not on the buffet). Do this hotel continue to be a Waldorf Astoria Brand ?
I cannot believe it.

This is one of my favorite hotels and the information makes me sad.

If Hilton destroys the unique luxury style of this property by decreasing the quality of facilities, service and food I will doubt forever that the company is able to run luxury hotels.

A statement of the hotel management and/or W=A collection responsibles seem to be necessary here and now.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:17 pm

The Good, The Bad, and The Filthy

I stayed here two years ago when the hotel first converted to a Hilton. That stay was enjoyable and I decided to introduce my husband to the hotel. Both the earlier and this recent stay were paid stays.

The Good:
- The view of the sheep grazing in the park from our hotel room.

- Our flight arrived at CDG very early and our room wasn't ready. The spa attendant took care of our luggage while we showered and relaxed around the pool.

The Bad:
- Having to pay a supplement to get the park view room. W-A offers Diamond members a one-category upgrade. I booked a room in the Pavilion building and was expecting a one-category upgrade to a garden view room in the Palace building.

At check-in, I was told there were no garden view rooms available. A park view room would be a two-category upgrade. The check-in clerk insisted that I pay 100 Euros more per night if I wanted the park view room. However, the Nor-1 upgrade cost was only 49 Euros per night. The reception supervisor (Emilie) agreed that 49 Euros was the correct price, which I paid.

- Breakfast was not included in our room rate. We expected breakfast to be expensive, but we were still shocked to pay 67 Euros for two breakfasts that did not even include cook-to-order eggs. It was basically a continental breakfast with some undercooked bacon, potatoes, and crepes.

- I had to ask the restaurant supervisor three times for the bill at the end of breakfast. After the third request, he brought me a signed bill and arrogantly asked why I kept asking for the bill when I had already signed for breakfast. It seemed that someone else had billed their breakfast to our room. Fortunately, that fraudulent charge was removed.

- Two years ago I was on the second floor (i.e. third fioor) and the room was fairly sound proof. This time our room was on the first floor (i.e. second floor). All night long, I heard someone pacing in the room above. I also heard conversations in the hallway. I'm not sure what made the difference between the second and third floors to account for the noise.

The Filthy:
- After check-in, my husband decided to take a nap due to jet lag. I went to the bathroom and sat on the toilet (sorry, but this info is important) when I felt water dripping on me. I promptly got off the toilet, closed the lid, and saw that the toilet lid was covered with droplets of water.

Not knowing the source of the water drops, I took a shower. After the shower, I couldn't get the hair dryer to work. I heard housekeeping outside in the hallway and asked a housekeeper to come into the bathroom to show me the correct outlet to use. I then showed the housekeeper the drips over the toilet. The housekeeper said he would report the leak.

I specifically said that I would call for someone to fix the leak after my husband woke up from his nap. Yet, five minutes later, someone knocked on the door to repair the leak. . I asked the engineer to come back later, but he said he was ready to fix the leak NOW and wouldn't leave. After removing a ceiling panel, black water poured down over the toilet. The engineer left after fixing the leak and I had to call him back to clean up the mess. He simply wiped up the mess and did not disinfect the toilet.

At check-out, I reported the above incidents. The check-out clerk simply said, "That is not typical of this hotel." I asked to speak to Pascal Groelle, the GM, but he refused to see me.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:10 am

Any recent Diamond experiences here?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Stayed the night here. Hotel was relatively quiet. The receptionist was sure to inform us that we had received a "quadruple upgrade" from the Classic Room we had booked in the building across from the main Palace building. So we ended up in one of the two-rooms suites in the eves on the 5th floor. Comfortable for sure, and we took full advantage, especially enjoying the heated floors in the bathroom!

What we liked
- Service was for the most part very attentive. We got several calls from the woman who checked us in just to make sure everything was alright. She even followed up on our request for more milk packets to room service to see if they had been delivered.
- Great Diamond recognition. Besides the wonderful upgrade, free internet code, free welcome drink and choice of free movie, 10% off at spa or 1,000 bonus points given at check-in.
- Ferragamo products in the bathroom were great. And did I mention the heated floors?
- The access to Versailles was excellent, of course, and we took advantage to tour the Chateau and take long walks in the park. There was a market in the town square on Sunday morning that we also enjoyed!

What we didn't like
- Not so much specific to this hotel, but I really don't like the lack of breakfast for Diamonds at Waldorf properties without lounges.
- Perhaps it's not a surprise, but everything seemed a bit overpriced at the hotel. We wandered into town and found some pretty good dining choices; although the Trianon has the monopoly on a Michelin star, I believe.
- Lack of a USB port on the television meant I couldn't plug in my tablet to watch a movie. They did have S-video ports.
- A bit of a walk from the RER station (but only 8 euros for the two of us from Orly RER C). We took a taxi back to Orly, which ended up being over 50 euros. So you definitely pay for convenience.
- The only exception to the service was I asked the gentleman who dropped off our in-room breakfast for additional milk packets, which never appeared. I had to call again.
- I echo the comments above about being able to hear things in the hallway. The sound insulation is very poor in the hotel, so we heard anyone who was walking and talking, or even the maid as she went about her business. Luckily, we were on a quiet floor. That would be something to be mindful of when you get there. There was no above us either.
- What is it with European hotels in general and the temperature controls? We like to sleep in a relatively cold room, but despite turning it down to below 15-degrees C, it was the same temperature in the room the whole time. Almost as if the AC was dis-engaged. We ended up sleeping with the windows open, which made for some outdoor noise in the morning.

Overall, good marks on the welcome and the service generally, great Diamond recognition for a Waldorf, and good quality rooms. Some bits and bobs about the physical plant, which were disappointing. And of course it's not the place to base yourself for Paris, but if you were like us looking for a quiet weekend retreat, and aren't bothered by some of the noise and temperature issues, I would recommend it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Staying here in june. What could I expect in terms of gold benefits? Is this a virtuoso property? If so what benefits are given?
Also specifically for the internet, is the free gold internet for wired or wireless and how many devices does it include?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.