Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Nor1 Hotels/Upgrades" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Nor1 Hotels/Upgrades" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:15 pm

Not sure what the big deal is...

I stay at Hilton properties of all types almost weekly, and find that there has been no upgrade change at properties that use NOR1. The option is provided for all guests regardless of elite level; those properties that have always upgraded Diamonds on request still do so.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I stay at Hilton properties of all types almost weekly, and find that there has been no upgrade change at properties that use NOR1. The option is provided for all guests regardless of elite level; those properties that have always upgraded Diamonds on request still do so.
I think the concern is upgraded rooms that otherwise would have been available for elites may be snapped up by the general public, coupled with a feeling of betrayal in that the benefits of being elite are being offered to the general public albeit for a fee.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:02 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
A related concern about the Nor-1 program is it really raises the question: why be loyal to Hilton at all? Why stay 15, 26, 50 or whatever stays and even more nights to earn available upgrades at the property when someone with zero status can plunk down their $29/night or whatever and get the suite or high-floor corner King. Then when the loyal HH member arrives, "sorry no upgrades available."

This could be a win-win program if implemented with regard to preserving u/g space for elites while still "selling" u/gs to non-status guests in a number not likely needed for the elite occupancy numbers. Some properties, though, seem to be pushing elite guests to expect u/gs under Nor-1 but not as an earned Diamond or Gold.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
At least I got a bad feeling when I was offered a stand-by upgrade to exec floor for xx$, something I thought I would be entitled to for free. So I should "increase my changes" by paying more?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I think the concern is upgraded rooms that otherwise would have been available for elites may be snapped up by the general public, coupled with a feeling of betrayal in that the benefits of being elite are being offered to the general public albeit for a fee.
As stated in my post, based on my extremely frequent stays at a variety of property types, NOR1 hasn't had any effect at all on the availability of upgrades.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
A related concern about the Nor-1 program is it really raises the question: why be loyal to Hilton at all? Why stay 15, 26, 50 or whatever stays and even more nights to earn available upgrades at the property when someone with zero status can plunk down their $29/night or whatever and get the suite or high-floor corner King. Then when the loyal HH member arrives, "sorry no upgrades available."

This could be a win-win program if implemented with regard to preserving u/g space for elites while still "selling" u/gs to non-status guests in a number not likely needed for the elite occupancy numbers. Some properties, though, seem to be pushing elite guests to expect u/gs under Nor-1 but not as an earned Diamond or Gold.
I posted this thread seeking some perspective from a Hilton representative, but have received no response.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...u-explain.html

At a Hilton where I stay regularly, the Nor1 link used to show that I was a Diamond, and offered me the upgrade for $0.

On the last visit there, the Nor1 link did not reflect my Diamond status and tried to extort $20 per night from me for the upgrade.

I did not take the bait and, for the first time I can recall, I did not get the upgrade.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K

Agreed ^

Hilton should work this like DL does when it has an undersold FC cabin and sells upgrades at the gate.

First and foremost, any elites who are on the upgrade list get their upgrades cleared before the sale of the balance of the FC seats begins.

Of what value is it to me to check into a Hilton 40 or 50 times per year, if someone who stays once per year only has to plunk down $20 or $30 bucks more to trump the benefits of my "loyalty program" membership?

What's next for the Nor1 program... tell everyone to wait in the lounge until 9:00 PM, at which time the upgrades will be sold at public auction to the highest bidder?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Just curious, does anyone feel like they were cheated from an upgrade due to this program?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
After reading through this thread I realize Hilton HHonors has become the US Airways of hotel chains.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Good grief, that's a bit unfair.

Hilton has a lot of nice hotels, quite a number of nice executive lounges and gives points and miles. Upgrades come often enough and can be real or imagined.

US Airways has no nice planes & no nice staff and only one nice executive lounge, and gives you only miles, but no hotel points. Upgrades mean very little indeed, except on Intl A330 services, where they mean just a little.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:44 pm

Completely ridiculous statement...

Originally Posted by satori
After reading through this thread I realize Hilton HHonors has become the US Airways of hotel chains.
...that is totally unsupported by this thread. In fact, for elites, NOR1 is a non-issue.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
...that is totally unsupported by this thread. In fact, for elites, NOR1 is a non-issue.
Considering 146 posts in this thread alone - mainly by elites + the only deleted (not hidden, but really deleted) thread on FT that I am aware of, it is your statement that is unsupported.

NOR1 is a non-issue only for elites that are not going to stay in Hiltons anymore.

Unless Hilton does something to NOR1 fast (free upgrades for elites to exec floor before the paid upgrades).
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:34 am

As stated in my post, based on my extremely frequent stays at a variety of property types, NOR1 hasn't had any effect at all on the availability of upgrades.
WADR your singular experiences cannot be seen to negate a systematic issue of equilibrium: If supply is fixed and demand goes up, availability must be impacted negatively when demand > supply- so not in every instance, but directionally it must be so.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:45 am

Again, much hand-wringing

Yup, a lot of posts complaining about the issue, and some attempt at a scientific formula in the previous post, but all that really matters is real-world impact...and that impact has been nil, based on many, many stays across a variety of Hilton brands in numerous locations, at various times. Oh well, whining can be cathartic sometimes, I suppose.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:11 am

Oh well, whining can be cathartic sometimes, I suppose.
Actually I will be wining today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.