Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Sorry your room is not available (at 11pm)!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

So, thought it might be worth a new thread to get some FT advice here.

Last night I was checking into the Caribe Hilton in San Juan PR with a co-worker. We both booked our rooms (King regular) through our Amex Travel and when we checked in at 11pm my co-worker was told that her room wouldn't be ready for another 30 min since housekeeping was cleaning it.

She had an early AM flight, so said she wanted a room now. They offered a "parlor" room with a sofa bed for a discounted rate which she kindly declined as she wanted a bed at the rate she paid for. The desk clerk talked to the supervisor and came back and said, "sorry, you will have to wait."

I asked for the supervisor and explained to her that we have been on a long trip, and just want a bed/room now. She explained that the hotel was "completedly booked" (yeah right) and that she was sorry rooms were not available. I asked for a discount on the room if we had to wait, explaining that if we didn't show up, we would get billed for the entire rate. Plus, we technically have paid for the room 4pm til noon the next day. The supervisor said she could not give any discounts, and that no other manager could do that. She reiterated that no rooms were available except the discounted parlor room.

Upon further complaining (with courtesy from me), she said she would check with housekeeping. Magically a room opened up. Co-worker checked in 5 min later. However, in the room there was a giant wet spot on the floor near the bed. Co-worker just walked around it.

I told the co-worker to write to the hotel manager and to Hilton, but I don't think she will. I know hotels here in PR often have the "we give your room away if you're late" policy and I've dealt with it lots, but not giving a discount was ridiculous.

Do you think I should write to the hotel and to Hilton? I really don't want any points for me (really, it would be nice for my co-worker), but really my concern is for the hotel to fix this. You should have seen the impatient line of about 5 other people behind us trying to check in waiting for 20 or so min.

BTW, co-worker is a Silver with HH. My room was already checked in via OLCI.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:34 am

I would suggest that you write a very strong letter to the GM of the hotel and fax a copy to Hilton Customer Care. Set out the facts, quote your confirmation number and rate and state EXACTLY what you want them to do for you (HHonors points - at least 40,000; refund or partial refund; complimentary stay (with upgrade) next time you are in town, etc.

Allow the hotel about 7-10 days to respond, and then take it up with Hilton Customer Care.

Hilton treated you badly and should make it up.

Good luck
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Humm.

I'm having a Sybil moment. One side of me says, "no - say nothing", the other say "yes - write a letter".

Stating my case for "No".
If you co-worker chose not to complain, then you shouldn't take ownership of his/her issues.

Stating my case for a "Yes".

From an operational standpoint, you should complain so that Hilton can investigate as to why you had to wait for a room at 11 PM.

If you have a corporate rate and this was booked through your corporate travel department, that's where you should start the complaint process. Your travel department most likely has more power to log a complaint on your company's behalf.

Since we're only hearing your side of the story there may be information, not available to you as to why the room was not available.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
I would suggest that you write a very strong letter to the GM of the hotel and fax a copy to Hilton Customer Care. Set out the facts, quote your confirmation number and rate and state EXACTLY what you want them to do for you (HHonors points - at least 40,000; refund or partial refund; complimentary stay (with upgrade) next time you are in town, etc.

Allow the hotel about 7-10 days to respond, and then take it up with Hilton Customer Care.

Hilton treated you badly and should make it up.
I totally agree with this advice. I had a bad Hilton stay last fall, though not the severity of yours. I called Customer Care, my first time ever to do so. In my case, the hotel had left the Hilton system 2 days after my stay. I was immediately offered a one night stay cert by Customer Care, good for a domestic Hilton.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I totally agree with this advice. I had a bad Hilton stay last fall, though not the severity of yours. I called Customer Care, my first time ever to do so. In my case, the hotel had left the Hilton system 2 days after my stay. I was immediately offered a one night stay cert by Customer Care, good for a domestic Hilton.
Well, I think I'm going to write to Hilton. We'll see what happens.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:30 pm

Keep us posted on what happens. I'm planning a trip there next year and that type of customer service won't fly with the Mrs.!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Ack, no progress yet. Will try to send an email later today/tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Doubletree Charlottesville same thing

There are plenty of things wrong with this hotel; this is only one of them. I arrived at 11PM and they had no rooms, despite that I called them twice during that day to remind that of my late arrival and despite my Gold status which is supposed to guarantee a particular room. It took them over an hour to figure out a room for me and my two guests. Go figure.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:11 pm

Definitely Keep us posted on what happens. I had a bad experience also and am debating if I should bring this up to CSS.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately he "maņana" attitude is all to common in the Caribbean. I have seen it at the Hilton and almost every hotel, restaurant, bar etc all over the Caribbean to some degree. Most of the time it is consequential but in your case it was not. Take it up with Hilton Guest Relations and/or dispute the cc charges. Forget contacting the hotel. Good luck.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.