Arrow Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Posts older than 2018 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Koh Samui

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 2, 2020 at 1:37 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:02 am

Great overall time. Highly recommend. TIPS/THOUGHTS beyond that was already posted:

- Alternative transportation options: there is a Samui specific ride share app called Navigo that actually has relatively fair prices to get around the island. There are very few drivers that use the app (usually about four at a given time) and they usually cluster around the airport. If you know in advance when you want to leave the Conrad, definitely check them out and plan accordingly.

- Before I had Navigo settled I asked the concierge to arrange local taxis for me. These taxis were never really taxis (much nicer) but still cheaper than what their hotel-sanctioned limo service was charging. Navigo was still much cheaper.

- Food: Never made it to Jahn, but the food was generally good (never mind-blowing). We usually overordered in case there were a few misses (which did happen). If you like spicy food you need to plead with the server or you won't get it. Service at Zest was generally not good - especially if you eat outside. I went during peak season and they seemed understaffed and not as fluent in English as other areas of the resort. I went to breakfast there twice and twice I never received the coffee that I ordered. By contrast the service at the pool was much better, friendlier and more confident.

- Off-site:
- The snorkel/beach excursion is not a must, but nice for a change of scenery/zippy boat ride.
- Highly recommend both Bang Por Takho and Sabeinglae. Walk over to Four Monkeys for solid coffee after Bang Por. .
- Tamarind Springs - came highly recommended to me from neighbor who travels the world (her husband is a commercial airline pilot). I booked a 2.5 hour massage/springs combo, which was decadent. Definitely a unique experience that you cannot find beyond Samui.

- Manufacturered Spending Hounds: There is no ATM on-site, rather you can withdraw from the conceirge and they will charge your room or cc. Great way to earn Hilton and cc points.

- Spa: Amazing. Do it. Yes, it is insanely priced for Thailand, but rationalize it via what it would cost back home.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Thanks for these tips, NYCRachel. Can you give me some sense of how much lead time you need to arrange a ride both with Navigo and through the concierge? And, where you able to easily get rides back to the hotel? Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by AleEat
Thanks for these tips, NYCRachel. Can you give me some sense of how much lead time you need to arrange a ride both with Navigo and through the concierge? And, where you able to easily get rides back to the hotel? Thanks
It really depends on where the cars physically are. I would just power up the app and see. Like I said, most are clustered around the airport, which is like 45 minutes away, but they are definitely willing to trek to the Conrad. Usually they will call you to confirm the ride (I think they get cancellations). Sometimes they'll be by Lamai Beach, which is only 20 min away.

A local taxi via the concierge usually took 15-20 minutes to arrive. Concierge taxis were usually about double what Navigo was charging.

Going home, again, I powered up the app about 20 minutes before I needed to leave and strategically called for a cab based on where they were in the map in the app. This was much easier than the pain of having to bargain with local taxis, which is a total pain and still wouldn't be as cheap as Navigo.

Last edited by NYCRachel; Jan 6, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:29 am

Thank you. There for 5 nights in late March and would like to get out and about a little bit.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:40 pm

I've heard reports of a "free shuttle" to Chaweng for guests staying 4 or more nights. Anyone have any experience with this? Wondering what the times, frequency etc. might be. Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:24 am

I've heard reports of a "free shuttle" to Chaweng for guests staying 4 or more nights. Anyone have any experience with this? Wondering what the times, frequency etc. might be. Thanks
If I remember correctly it is three times a day. Departures are (I think) late morning, mid-afternoon and early evening. Never took it though.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:38 am

Thank you. There for 5 nights in late March and would like to get out and about a little bit.

My next stay will be mid of March and I've made a reservation for a rental car. For me it's worth the THB 13.300 for a Toyota Fortuner for a 5 nights stay. Easy to drive to restaurants, beaches, shopping, night life and from/to the airport. Of course it comes with the restriction not to drink and drive, but that doesn't bother me.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by thbe
My next stay will be mid of March and I've made a reservation for a rental car. For me it's worth the THB 13.300 for a Toyota Fortuner for a 5 nights stay. Easy to drive to restaurants, beaches, shopping, night life and from/to the airport. Of course it comes with the restriction not to drink and drive, but that doesn't bother me.
Thanks, it does sound like an attractive option. I tend to be overly cautious however about D&D - and I do enjoy a Singha or two with my meal.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:35 am

We have a 6-night stay at CKS in early February and I was wondering if you could help with a couple of questions:

1. Those of you who have rented a car, do you recommend any company? It's just a couple of us and we are not looking for anything fancy - but it sounds like we might need a SUV to get to the hotel?
2. What I am missing out on as a Gold member? Is it worth trying to do a Diamond challenge for this? I can see that Diamonds get two more drink coupons, any other differences?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, HH
We rented from Hertz for our stay at CKS. I got the SUV because small car with people plus luggage does not work out so well. Of course you only need this to and from the airport but I also prefer the comfort. A nice SUV will also be the bigger car on the road in a place like Thailand. I have found driving in a country like this bigger is better. When renting the vehicle and doing the walk around with the rental agent take pictures of every part of the vehicle and make sure they see you doing this. This will keep them from trying to charge you for any damage no matter how small when returning. Of course this will not apply to any damage you might do but this will also protect you from the valets at CKS.

We had two villa's for our stay, 4 adults 1 child and I am a Diamond. Not really a big difference in perks from Diamond to Gold at CKS. They did give us free breakfast for all 4, I guess we got this since I had both villa's in my name.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by koroleon
We have a 6-night stay at CKS in early February and I was wondering if you could help with a couple of questions:

1. Those of you who have rented a car, do you recommend any company? It's just a couple of us and we are not looking for anything fancy - but it sounds like we might need a SUV to get to the hotel?
2. What I am missing out on as a Gold member? Is it worth trying to do a Diamond challenge for this? I can see that Diamonds get two more drink coupons, any other differences?

Thanks!
We rented a pretty small car to get to the Conrad. No issues. While I'd prefer the comfort of the SUV, we thought there were a few benefits of the smaller car. Easier to park, easier to fit through tight spaces and an alley or two. We'd run out for a massage almost daily, even as far as Chaweng.

I don't think you're missing out on much as gold. We were fairly happy with our treatment as gold. I fancied the breakfast, and that was the primary gold perk for me. As always, meter expectations- This is Thailand.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:17 am

leaving room 702 tomorrow AM
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:39 am

Gorgeous room, in case anybody’s interested
hockeystl and AleEat like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I would like to preface this as stating "Damn you Jet Lag!"

I am from South Dakota where it is currently colder than cold. I am traveling as a single traveler on my 40th Birthday trip due to wife back home being a teacher. Arrived at the Conrad at Koh Sumai yesterday late morning after 36 hours in Bangkok. I booked a car via Mr Sumai and FB literally a hour before I was flyng out from Bangkok (incredible service and well worth the $30 price tag for a one way or $56 rt). and was picked up in a full service leather seated lux SUV. On the drive to the Conrad I spoke with Mr. Sumai via the drivers phone and was able to stop off at a gas station to allow me to buy my "daddy drinks" so I wouldn't have to buy that much alcohol here at the resort.

As I arrived here at the Conrad I was led into the open aired reception parlor during a downpour under the umbrella of a porter who genuinely cared for my well being. I was given a really nice tea and a cold towel that literally smelled delicious. I then met with the Director of Operations and had a genuine conversation about being a Diamond, world experiences, travel and so forth.

I booked the lowest category room here two or so months ago using Points, the Retreat Villa. When I arrived today I was "hoping" to be upgraded into a larger suite vs the base that I had booked. When I was spoke with Thomas who is ihead of Operations he preceded to inform me that I was upgraded to a Two Bdrm Villa and they genuinely want to show their appreciation to Diamonds. On a side note, I am fully aware of upgrade policy within the Hilton Portfolio and definitely did not expect this, maybe one cat or two higher but not all the way to the top. This resort makes me actually want to keep my Diamond status purely for the Diamond treatment. *side note* other Hilton Resorts, you need to seriously take a step back and reevaluate your Diamond policy, maybe hire Thomas as a consultant. Conrad KS has its upgrade policy spot on, "If and when upgrade availability allows".

Anyone have any questions I can answer for them while I'm here? I am moving today into a Conrad Royal One Bdrm Villa that I booked via points to enjoy the best of the bes while here in CKS.

Anyone on FT by chance currently at this property and would like to meet up for a drink, I'll buy first round!
what a crazy coincidence. My wife and I were here same time as you. Upon arrival we were told the royal suit was currently occupied, now I know it was you! We had to wait a day or two until you left then the office called our room and asked if we would like an upgrade to move in for the rest of our stay. Love the customer service at this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.