Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
Upgrade?

Would appreciate any feedback. My husband and I are staying at CKS in August for three nights and are HH Gold. We are currently booked in a waterfront pool villa using HH points. My husband emailed about an upgrade and was told it will be subject to availability, or we can confirm an upgrade to a oceanview retreat villa for 3000 THB/night. Is this an offer worth entertaining? Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seat2seat
Would appreciate any feedback. My husband and I are staying at CKS in August for three nights and are HH Gold. We are currently booked in a waterfront pool villa using HH points. My husband emailed about an upgrade and was told it will be subject to availability, or we can confirm an upgrade to a oceanview retreat villa for 3000 THB/night. Is this an offer worth entertaining? Thanks!
Not really. The rooms are almost identical it is only position (and some room amenities) that dictate the room type.

Last year as a Diamond we were pre-upgraded (was in the app a few days before) to an Ocean View Retreat in the 300s. We are also returning in August.

If it was me I would see what you get. As an aside I was quoted 10,000THB for the Royal Villa which if you are going to pay for an upgrade may be more worth while doing that for a night instead.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Hello - - any advice on transportation options to/from airport? Not looking to rent car. Curious to know what other have done, recently. Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:29 am
pjs

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Hello - - any advice on transportation options to/from airport? Not looking to rent car. Curious to know what other have done, recently. Thanks.
Have an upcoming stay end of July and booked transfer with www.samuiislandexplorer.com for 1000 Baht each way. Paid one way in advance and will pay cash for the return.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
We just get the hotel car 1,500THB each way for the Toyota Fortuner and we stop at the Tesco Lotus on the way to pick up some beer and snacks.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by seat2seat
The CKS is one of the very few hotels, where an upgrade can be worse. The waterfront pool villas are close to beach, main pool, gym and breakfast. You can easily walk from your waterfront villa to that destinations. The oceanview retreat villas are more up. the hill, so you need to call a hotel cart to go there. But the villas itself are almost the same.
MaldivesFreak likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:51 am
pjs

So in an email from CKS, they mentioned that there is no alcohol sold in restaurants on July 27 & 28 due to the holidays in Thailand. Anyone know how strict they are about this? Can we get a drink to go or a cocktail in a coffee cup? That's a bummer (but we'll survive). More annoying that we can't have drinks with dinner.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by pjs
So in an email from CKS, they mentioned that there is no alcohol sold in restaurants on July 27 & 28 due to the holidays in Thailand. Anyone know how strict they are about this? Can we get a drink to go or a cocktail in a coffee cup? That's a bummer (but we'll survive). More annoying that we can't have drinks with dinner.
Have never heard of an alcohol ban in Thailand. Seems to be an isolated decision.

BANGKOK, 27 July 2017: Thais will honour His Majesty the King’s 65th birthday, Friday 28 July; a new annual holiday for the nation.
All government offices, banks and businesses will close. However, shops will remain open and there is no ban on the sale of alcohol.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbams
Have never heard of an alcohol ban in Thailand. Seems to be an isolated decision.

BANGKOK, 27 July 2017: Thais will honour His Majesty the King’s 65th birthday, Friday 28 July; a new annual holiday for the nation.
All government offices, banks and businesses will close. However, shops will remain open and there is no ban on the sale of alcohol.
Think it also corresponds with Asahna Bucha, one of the five Buddhist holidays on which the sale of alcohol is prohibited.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I was in Bangkok when his father passed away. Alcohol sales were banned. Have to think, for a bday celebration, that wouldn't be the case.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:01 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Think it also corresponds with Asahna Bucha, one of the five Buddhist holidays on which the sale of alcohol is prohibited.
This is correct. And the day after (7/28) is the beginning of Buddhist Lent which also bans alcohol. Apparently they didn't use to extend this ban to hotels but the military government extended the ban.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:01 am

You are free to buy alcohol before or bring it with you from your home country. That is why they announce it.

If they announce that ban, they will handle it strictly at the CKS. Maybe other bars and restaurants in the near will sell alcohol. But in general Buddhist holidays are handled strictly. Nobody wants to get reborn as a worm just for providing some cochtails to tourists.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:26 am
pjs

Originally Posted by thbe
You are free to buy alcohol before or bring it with you from your home country. That is why they announce it.

If they announce that ban, they will handle it strictly at the CKS. Maybe other bars and restaurants in the near will sell alcohol. But in general Buddhist holidays are handled strictly. Nobody wants to get reborn as a worm just for providing some cochtails to tourists.
Update: “You can order drink from restaurant and we can delivery to room .”

So I guess they’re not being that strict. Room service it is!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by thbe
The CKS is one of the very few hotels, where an upgrade can be worse. The waterfront pool villas are close to beach, main pool, gym and breakfast. You can easily walk from your waterfront villa to that destinations. The oceanview retreat villas are more up. the hill, so you need to call a hotel cart to go there. But the villas itself are almost the same.
I was there just last month and we had an Oceanview villa, which are the 200s. I think these are ideal because they are on the same level as the main restaurant and walking down to the pool or beach isn't that tough. Anything above the 200 level would require a buggy. Walking up one level to the spa was quite a hike in the heat and humidity. I saw some of the 300s and they looked to be on slopes that you really wouldn't want to walk up. The views higher up really are amazing though.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:17 am

301-305 are a relatively easy walk as are 306-309, it is still steep but not far to Zest.

We stayed in 301 last year and had no issue walking to and from Zest.

Will be back there in just over 2 weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.