Double Base Points - Really?

Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Double Base Points - Really?

A Hilton HHonors promotion has me wondering what is really meant by double base points. I am referring to the promotion at http://www.embassysuitessocal.com/specials.php

The wording and I bolded the wording I question:

"Double HHonors Promotion
Travel to Sunny Southern California and Earn Double HHonors Points! Come and enjoy all the attractions, shopping and dining Southern California has to offer and stay at one of sixteen Embassy Suites in the area! Hotel locations range from Ventura to San Diego and include spacious accommodations in a two-room suite, complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast for each registered guest and nightly Manager's Reception.* Plus, earn double Hilton HHonors Base points and work towards the HHonors rewards you want twice as fast - from free nights to once-in-a-lifetime vacation experiences! Click on your desired property below and make your reservations between now and December 31, 2008 to earn your rewards. Stay must include a Sunday night. "

I called up the HHonors service center and pointed out the wording shown here and the fact there are no terms and conditions associated with this offer.

The interpretation is huge for elite status consideration. HHonors Gold is earned with 60,000 base points which is equivalent to $6,000 in eligible hotel charges (10 base points earned/eligible $ spent).

Double base points would mean $3,000 in eligible spending would earn 60,000 base points.

HHonors Diamond would be earned with $5,000 in spending compared to $10,000 to earn 100,000 base points.

Interpreting double base points in this way is a strategy for attaining elite status on spending rather than stays or nights.

I called Hilton HHonors Service Center and the representative stated that double base points means double base points for elite status qualification.

Here are the Terms and Conditions from a Conrad Hotels newsletter email I received yesterday for Conrad Istanbul and a double base points promotion.

"Double Base points" means you will receive a bonus equal to the number of Base points earned during a stay. Bonus points earned on Base points do not count toward VIP tier qualification.

The HHonors customer service representative stated since the Embassy Suites offer does not have terms and conditions, then the double elite points do count for VIP tier qualification.

What are others' thoughts on this issue and has anyone else looked into this?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
looks like an error to me ... better take screenshots
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
double points

The last time I had double points at a hilton the room rate was higher... I should have read the small print!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
As usual, HH CSR is wrong. Per HH T&Cs (Accrual of Points, section 4):

Bonus points earned on Base points do not count toward VIP tier qualification (Example - "Double Base points" or "Triple Base points" promotions).
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by satori
Plus, earn double Hilton HHonors Base points and work towards the HHonors rewards you want twice as fast - from free nights to once-in-a-lifetime vacation experiences! Click on your desired property below and make your reservations between now and December 31, 2008 to earn your rewards. Stay must include a Sunday night.
My personal interpretation is that the Double Base Points will count toward earning rewards, but not toward qualification for the next status tier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.