Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 6:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
It means 30% off the difference in BARs between BV and whatever category you're upgrading to.
Thanks,

Another thought; my dates are during the closure of the Quiet Zone, is this a deal breaker?
Old May 2, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
Quite te the opposite. Lunch is overly hot, bright, smaller fish, less good food (IMO).

dinner is cooler, tastier, bigger creatures and an overall better experience. Worth the $ difference, though I've only done each one once.
Having also done both once, I'd have to agree with Cynicor although I don't know whether the size of the fish is consistently smaller at lunchtime. I suppose as far as the mantas are concerned, they'd be attracted by the lights at night so they might not be around so much in the daytime.

@ chongl, another advantage with dinner is kids aren't allowed then which makes, at least theoretically, for a quieter experience. Mind you, you could be forgiven for complaining about the noise even though there are no kids...

Here's the piece about Ithaa from one of the latest reviews by NorCalSun

Ittha restaurant: This was a huge disappointment for us. one of the main reason for us in choosing conrad rangali was to experience underwater restaurant. staff were friendly and food was reasonable, but the ambience was horrible. Perhaps I had a high hope, high expectations, but it did not meet my standard of "expensive, breaking your wallet" restaurant. First of all, there were asian families with kids running around and crying the entire time. There are other asian couples sitting on our table to get a better shot in taking pictures. it was chaos in eating food in that restaurant. The staff did very little to control this but I can't blame on them.. what can they do? it may be my bad luck.. choosing a wrong date to experience the restaurant. also, the temperature was not as the lunch time was sunny... make sure to bring sunglasses and put some sunscreen on when you go for lunch. It was not what you see in their marketing of the restaurant. The tunnel of the restaurant was not clean, and there was debris everywhere on the top of the glasses and the side. It was worse than some of the aquariums that we've been to. I recommend others to do only cocktails, or go for dinner if you want to experience it.
I presume he/she meant 'hot' when he/she said "also, the temperature was not as the lunch time was sunny"

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; May 2, 2017 at 10:53 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thanks,

Another thought; my dates are during the closure of the Quiet Zone, is this a deal breaker?
I suppose you have to ask yourself whether you're going to spend a lot of time in that particular pool. Yes, it's very nice and there are no kids allowed but there is the other pool (which is quite often empty or having only a couple of people in it) and if you're going to be staying in an OWV (which all have pools) I would say "No, not a deal-breaker". How many nights and what villa(s) will you be staying in?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:27 pm

I suppose you have to ask yourself whether you're going to spend a lot of time in that particular pool. Yes, it's very nice and there are no kids allowed but there is the other pool (which is quite often empty or having only a couple of people in it) and if you're going to be staying in an OWV (which all have pools) I would say "No, not a deal-breaker". How many nights and what villa(s) will you be staying in?
Currently we are in a BV (7 nights) but will try for an upgrade to the SWV but aren't really fussed either way. After visiting Bora Bora late last year, we prefer being on the beach than over the water.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:37 am

Wiki updates

Updated the upgrade price section of the wiki:
* adding recent quotes and links to freeloader & ducksaucei3's posts
* there are now different coloured asterisks (blue) to link to additional posts discussing why the particular rates were so low
* added categories that don't yet have quotes to make it quick and easy to add rates when we get them. Note that the 'NDA' abbreviation beside them stands for 'No Data Available'
* changed the order of the high season lists to match the order of the low season lists for ease of reading/comparison
* added low / high season dates next to the main titles so readers don't have to scroll up the page to find the exact dates
* clarified some text about cash upgrades

Others:
* updated Gold and Diamond Benefits to include free use of the lounge for Diamonds
* added pool opening and closing times (under Resort Information / F&B / Activities)
* added text to explain the '2 / 3 island' misunderstanding that has cropped up on TA in the last year or so (also under Resort Information / F&B / Activities)
* a few changes to the Maintenance Issues section, adding dates, etc
* corrected typos
Old May 3, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
* there are now different coloured asterisks (blue) to link to additional posts discussing why the particular rates were so low
* added categories that don't yet have quotes to make it quick and easy to add rates when we get them. Note that the 'NDA' abbreviation beside them stands for 'No Data Available'
* changed the order of the high season lists to match the order of the low season lists for ease of reading/comparison
* added low / high season dates next to the main titles so readers don't have to scroll up the page to find the exact dates

Others:
* updated Gold and Diamond Benefits to include free use of the lounge for Diamonds
* added pool opening and closing times (under Resort Information / F&B / Activities)
* added text to explain the '2 / 3 island' misunderstanding that has cropped up on TA in the last year or so (also under Resort Information / F&B / Activities)
* corrected typos
Thanks for all you do to keep the information updated and relevant!! Such a great resource...
Old May 3, 2017, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select

Others:
* corrected typos
Sweet! About to start my review (a year later :-p) and having trouble remembering a few things, might need your consultation. For one, my SO got a short massage at the lounge on arrival. I presume that was because we were Diamond. Is this benefit still existent?
Old May 3, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Sweet! About to start my review (a year later :-p) and having trouble remembering a few things, might need your consultation. For one, my SO got a short massage at the lounge on arrival. I presume that was because we were Diamond. Is this benefit still existent?
Tell me about it. I've still not got the time to do the review I promised myself I'd do when we got back. And it's been a couple of months ago already. Ugh.

Anyway, the massage is free for all guests regardless of Hilton status but you have to catch the lady after she starts work at 10AM (so we usually miss her) and before she knocks off (which is 4PM AFAIK). By the way, it's limited to 10 minutes (JIC you need that info for your review).

Will your review be on the forum here?
Old May 3, 2017, 1:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Tell me about it. I've still not got the time to do the review I promised myself I'd do when we got back. And it's been a couple of months ago already. Ugh.

Anyway, the massage is free for all guests regardless of Hilton status but you have to catch the lady after she starts work at 10AM (so we usually miss her) and before she knocks off (which is 4PM AFAIK). By the way, it's limited to 10 minutes (JIC you need that info for your review).

Will your review be on the forum here?
yeah, I was thinking 15 minutes, but my fiancee is the one who got it, and she had said it was only 10. Will definately get it posted on here. Just finished my PH Maldives review, over on the forum there (excerpt with a link to full review). Days from finishing my "what to do at PH Maldives" post, and then will be a few more days for my "transfer PH Maldives to Conrad" review. Then the tough part :-)

thanks for the info. When I do finally get it done I may ask for your expertise so I can edit any inaccuracies.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Updated .. .. the wiki:

Others:
MF - Which lounge is this, do you mean the Seaplane lounge or is there one on the resort I haven't heard about?
Old May 3, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
yeah, I was thinking 15 minutes, but my fiancee is the one who got it, and she had said it was only 10. Will definately get it posted on here. Just finished my PH Maldives review, over on the forum there (excerpt with a link to full review). Days from finishing my "what to do at PH Maldives" post, and then will be a few more days for my "transfer PH Maldives to Conrad" review. Then the tough part :-)

thanks for the info. When I do finally get it done I may ask for your expertise so I can edit any inaccuracies.
Sure, feel free to pick my (addicted) brain.

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
MF - Which lounge is this, do you mean the Seaplane lounge or is there one on the resort I haven't heard about?
It's the padded cell that they put me in after I realize I have to leave the resort. Worst day of the year, I swear!

But seriously.....it's the seaplane lounge.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; May 3, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Currently we are in a BV (7 nights) but will try for an upgrade to the SWV but aren't really fussed either way. After visiting Bora Bora late last year, we prefer being on the beach than over the water.
Actually, why don't you try and go for a DBV? A lot easier to secure an upgrade to, comped or otherwise.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:25 pm

Actually, why don't you try and go for a DBV? A lot easier to secure an upgrade to, comped or otherwise.
Thanks, we will have a think and see what we decide (dependent on what the resort offers/allows).

In the meantime, thank you for your generous contribution here and maintaining the wiki ^
Old May 4, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just checked in and first impressions, wow what a place. We had a water villa booked for 2 adults and 2 kids and got upgraded to a family water villa with 2 bedrooms. To say I'm delighted and gobsmacked is an understatment. Im hooked already.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Conrad Seaplane Lounge on dep for Golds too?

Updated .. .. the wiki:

Others:

Free and full use of the Conrad (Seaplane) Lounge (see Airport & Lounge Informationabove) on departure is now given to Diamond members
MF - We are only HH Gold but we used the CSL on our departure for almost 2 hours, this might of been because our BA flight home was delayed. Or because we didn't get much chance to use the lounge at the start of our hols (busy filing missing bag report) & we were being well looked after...

EnglishA - enjoy your stay, hope you've seen my reviews?

Alansllegal - I can recommend the DBV we loved it, plenty of pics in my recent article.

Cheers

SR
TripRep Maldives

Last edited by ScubaRoo; May 4, 2017 at 4:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.