Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:14 pm

Here are pics from RWV: https://goo.gl/photos/vBERdhg9mQBz2V379

It's like comparing apples with oranges. We really like the DBV for the convenient location. Perfect for snorkeling the house reef and no need for calling a buggy.
The RWV however is amazing. Obviously this is our first stay in a WV so we don't have anything to compare with. We are happy with the sunset view from 417, facing Rangali island with the attacking birds protecting their nests between Vilu and the WV's currently.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlugE
Here are pics from RWV: https://goo.gl/photos/vBERdhg9mQBz2V379

It's like comparing apples with oranges. We really like the DBV for the convenient location. Perfect for snorkeling the house reef and no need for calling a buggy.
The RWV however is amazing. Obviously this is our first stay in a WV so we don't have anything to compare with. We are happy with the sunset view from 417, facing Rangali island with the attacking birds protecting their nests between Vilu and the WV's currently.
Awesome pictures! We're in an RWV in about 1 week, so this is very helpful. A few questions:

- How deep is the water off the steps?
- How is the snorkeling off the steps?
- Do you see fish through the glass flooring?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:54 pm

Stayed in 417 in November. Water is about 3-4.5ft deep most times during the day. Fish love to hang out at night under the lights of villa. During the day the snorkeling isnt that great unless you swim back towards the main island. Out that way are a few big coral pieces with sea life. As far as sealife thru the glass, that picture is decieving. The bathroom sink just about sits on top of that open glass area so you really wont see much. Its not like what you may think it is, such as a open coffee table.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Snorkeling off RWV

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Awesome pictures! We're in an RWV in about 1 week, so this is very helpful. A few questions:

- How deep is the water off the steps?
- How is the snorkeling off the steps?
- Do you see fish through the glass flooring?

Roger - we saw this dude just a few feet from our RWV 2 years ago, we were about 4 villas past Mandhoo on the reef side.. There's box fishes and nearer the drop off Turtles and Sharks

What date do you leave, myself, Manneca & brandonpkt may yet get to share a beer at Happy Hour..
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:13 am

I just checked in to SWV 336. The water is really shallow, <1 meter, and is filled mostly with dead coral. There are some living formations, but it's pretty barren overall. No way I can snorkel safely here, but fun to walk around in (with water shoes).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just checked in to SWV 336. The water is really shallow, <1 meter, and is filled mostly with dead coral. There are some living formations, but it's pretty barren overall. No way I can snorkel safely here, but fun to walk around in (with water shoes).
We enjoyed morning snorkeling off the SWV - 8am before breakfast we thought was the best time. Calm and peaceful water that came as high as between the 5th and 6th steps on the deck off the villa going into the ocean. There's more fish if you go further out/closer to the Over Water Spa. Also there are lots of paths to swim around the coral areas, so you don't have to swim over it if you are concerned about water height.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:40 am

Talking Booked for June 2017

Hi guys,

Very excited here - we've been looking at this forum for a couple of years, and have finally taken the plunge and booked 10 nights in June 2017. Thanks to everyone for the detailed info, it has really helped us make the choice, and get excited about what Rangali holds in store!

Jules
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Great news, Jules! You will not be disappointed.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Roger - we saw this dude just a few feet from our RWV 2 years ago, we were about 4 villas past Mandhoo on the reef side.. There's box fishes and nearer the drop off Turtles and Sharks

What date do you leave, myself, Manneca & brandonpkt may yet get to share a beer at Happy Hour..
Amazing picture! My wife spent much of the trip last year trying to see a manta ray. That would be spectacular to see one just off the deck.

We are there until Feb 27th. Would be great to get a beer if you all are still around.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
FYI, just in case, that isn't a manta, eagle ray or mobula. I don't know if it has a special name, or if it's just called a sting ray !
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Ithaa cocktails

Hi, I am thinking about going for Ithaa cocktails on my upcoming trip (my second trip, I did not go to Ithaa at all on my first trip and am not interested in having lunch or dinner there) and I had a few questions:

1) What drink options are offered besides champagne?
2) Do weather conditions (rougher water conditions or rain) have much impact on what you see (fish) or the water color?
3) If yes to 2), I was thinking about waiting until I arrive to pick a day, but I was not sure how far in advance Ithaa cocktails gets booked up, or how accurate the weather forecasts are. Any thoughts on this?
4) Is it colder in Ithaa compared to the mostly open air dining places at the Conrad?

Thanks for any information!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Deepd1ver7
FYI, just in case, that isn't a manta, eagle ray or mobula. I don't know if it has a special name, or if it's just called a sting ray !
It's "just" a Stingray, but in only 2 foot of water, so go careful walking off the steps off RWVs..
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:11 am

My wife and I will be there on the 16th. So sad to hear about the reefs. We have scuba diving booked on the 17th and 18th. I hope we can get to some spots that are in better shape than the house reef. It's a long way to go to see only dead coral!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by needtoescape
Hi, I am thinking about going for Ithaa cocktails on my upcoming trip (my second trip, I did not go to Ithaa at all on my first trip and am not interested in having lunch or dinner there) and I had a few questions:

1) What drink options are offered besides champagne?
2) Do weather conditions (rougher water conditions or rain) have much impact on what you see (fish) or the water color?
3) If yes to 2), I was thinking about waiting until I arrive to pick a day, but I was not sure how far in advance Ithaa cocktails gets booked up, or how accurate the weather forecasts are. Any thoughts on this?
4) Is it colder in Ithaa compared to the mostly open air dining places at the Conrad?

Thanks for any information!
Hi needtoescape.

1. None, bar water or a non-alcoholic alternative (usually of the sparkling variety).
2. Yes, weather can affect it quite a bit. They feed the fish whenever there are guests there so there are always tons around but they can't control the murkiness of the water and it can indeed get a little murky when it's very windy.
3. I don't know the answer to that question but I don't think you'll have a problem as we usually don't see that many people go for cocktails even though we are usually at a vantage point to see guests going in and out around that time.
4. It's a little stuffy at lunchtime but not too bad for cocktails as it starts around 11:30 and it's not yet the hottest time of the day. You should take sunglasses though, as it gets pretty bright if there isn't any cloud cover. As for comparisons, Mandhoo, Koko Grill, Vilu and the beach BBQ dinners are usually pretty windy and so it isn't that hot whereas Rangali Bar, Atoll Market and Ufaa (western/southwestern sides) are shielded from the wind and are considerably warmer. Having said that, you'll find Ithaa is somewhere in the middle for cocktails. It's a little hot and sometimes the A/C doesn't cool it down enough for lunch (at the least the first session of lunch which is 12:00 til 2:00) but you won't have to worry about that since you won't be dining there.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:22 pm

As a HH Gold member, can we go from the afternoon tea to free happy hour and then to half price happy hour? Are all the spots close to one another?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.