Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Best way to get 10K base points before the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Poster

I have 90K base points to the date and don't have any stays planned until the end of the year. I've never been Diamond, only Gold, so my questions to the experts:

- If I earn 10K base points before the end of December, will I get Diamond status?
- What is the best way to earn base points fast if I don't have any stays planned?
- If I do qualify for Diamond by earning 100K base points, when will my status change and when will it expire?

Thank you !
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Some
I am pretty sure that the only way you can earn base points is actually through hotel stays, meaning that you would need to spend $1,000 to get the 10,000 base points. If you can do that before December 31, then yes, you would qualify for Diamond. How many stays and nights do you have? You can also qualify for Diamond after 28 stays and 60 nights.

Once you hit Diamond it should update within a day or two; you'll have Diamond until March 2012. Good luck!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mudbug31
I am pretty sure that the only way you can earn base points is actually through hotel stays, meaning that you would need to spend $1,000 to get the 10,000 base points. If you can do that before December 31, then yes, you would qualify for Diamond. How many stays and nights do you have? You can also qualify for Diamond after 28 stays and 60 nights.

Once you hit Diamond it should update within a day or two; you'll have Diamond until March 2012. Good luck!
I only have 2 stays, but 90K base points on spending...
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
As stated above, base points can only be earned at hotels.

If you really want to make diamond, you could get creative and check int a local full service hotel and throw a familt dinner.. Or treat someone to a spa session if one is close to you.

Other than the above, I'm out of ideas. I'm not sure Diamond status is worth $1k.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:15 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The easiest way to do it is just book a stay over one of the next three Sundays that will be $1,000 total in base charges. Note that you can include food and beverage charges from the hotel's restaurant in that (just check with the hotel to make sure you'll earn points, I think in some cases certain restaurants do not earn points at certain hotels.)

At least with the 4x bonus on stays that include Sundays this becomes more palatable at 50 points/dollar (if you go with points + points, which for that much spending is the way to go I think). That being said, unless you have a specific need in mind for Diamond next year, $1,000+ in spending is a steep price to pay for Diamond ...
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
Original poster, please check carefully.
As mudbug and justin have already said, BASE points, as far as I know, ONLY come from actual stays in hotels.
You can earn points by credit card spend, buying various merchandise and services or by getting status bonus points, but these DO NOT count towards status.
If any card gave diamond status from credit card spend alone, I'm pretty sure we would havre heard of it.
I'd hate to think of you wasting $1000 on stays you don't need but to no avail.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
lots of drinking at the hilton bar can get you them points =D
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
2 stays? are they several days each? If not, without being to sarcastic, may I ask why you even care about status? It does not seem that you stay at the hotels often enough for it to really matter
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by snapper6768
2 stays? are they several days each? If not, without being to sarcastic, may I ask why you even care about status? It does not seem that you stay at the hotels often enough for it to really matter
Taking a look in the OP's sig.. I'd say that Hilton is the OP's 4th Hotel program..
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by ringbark
If any card gave diamond status from credit card spend alone, I'm pretty sure we would havre heard of it....
We have.....the Surpass gives US resident HHH Diamond on spending alone.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/creditamex.do
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Isn't it quite possible that the OP's 2 stays were extended stays (perhaps 20+ nights each) at high end properties ($400+/night in NYC seems the going rate), he/she used the restaurant and other on-site things?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Diamond can be worth an extra $1000 spend depending on where and how the OP wants to use his/her earned points. The primary advantage of Diamond status (IMHO) is the Diamond Force. I redeemed points today for an eight night stay in March (during gay Mardi Gras) at the Hilton Sydney that would have otherwise cost me US $7900. If the OP has points to spend and wants to use them anywhere anytime then a thousand bucks seems like a good deal.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Without knowing any specifics about the OP I would say there are a couple of possibilities.

1. You spent a lot of money during those two stays. Maybe you organized one or two meetings? If that is the normal spending behavior then why bother about Diamond status.

2. You did two very extended stays (which is very unlikely because then it would be easier to go for nights). Not worth bothering about Diamond status either. Just talk to the hotel manager if that is the plan for next year.

But I guess it all comes down to one question. Will you be staying at Hiltons enough next year to make the 1000$ extra worth it? I would say the Difference between Gold and Diamond is not that big to make it worth a 1000$ MR, irrespective if you spend the money on nights, food or drinks (wow, 1000 bucks at the bar would get you a very decent hangover I guess).
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davef139
lots of drinking at the hilton bar can get you them points =D
And after drinking a certain amount, you don't have to drink much more after that to keep earning points, you can simply make friends at the bar who will happily help you earn points.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not likely, IMO. HHonors Diamond = 100,000 base points, OR 60 nights OR 28 stays, as I am sure you know. Under your estimate, the OP would have earned at least 160,000 base points.

The OP's job is to think strategically and determine if Diamond will pay off sufficiently to invest $1,000 in for Diamond for 2011 and through March 2012 - oh, and relatively quickly, as well, as we don't have much time left until the calendar year comes to a close. Or, check stays and days to see if there are easier / cheaper options.

Unfortunately, we don't have much information to go by, so we'll continue to offer shot-in-the-dark recommendations.

Originally Posted by aztimm
Isn't it quite possible that the OP's 2 stays were extended stays (perhaps 20+ nights each) at high end properties ($400+/night in NYC seems the going rate), he/she used the restaurant and other on-site things?

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.