Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sandton {ZAF}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I was just in JNB a couple of weeks back and stayed at Crowne Plaza (US$60) which is just next door to Hilton. There is the Magic Shuttle from the domestic terminal, about 5 mins walk away. It costs only 80Rands,so considering how much a cab ride cost, this option is alot cheaper. Cost the same on the return, and it swings by hourly.

If you walk up along Maude St, it will lead you to Sandton City. You will pass by Hewlett-Packard along the way. Walk takes about 5 mins at most, and I find it quite safe, although I wouldn't advise to do so at night.

You can claim back VAT at Sandton City, or the Airport. However, bare in mind that there is a 10 Rand surchage to issue u the refund check, and a further 11 Rand surcharge to cash the check at the "bank" next door.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I walked around fine at night in Sandton and Rosebank. No problems wearing my Rolex. However, due to the recent white supremicist bombings in Soweto, it is not recommended for white men to be hanging out there. So unfortunately I skipped Soweto this time around.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 5:23 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Stayed here on Christmas Day. Checked-in early at 09:45. Was given an upgrade to a suite (I'm Diamond). An hour later there was a knock at the door and room service brought me a letter from the Duty Manager welcoming me to the hotle along with a bottle of sparkling water, some dried fruit and billtong (cured meat) and a bottle of red wine!!

This is a very HHonors friendly hotel!
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Transpotation question from JNB to Hilton Sandton

Anybody that stayed at the Hilton Sandton, any advice on the best way to get from and to the airport? I understand that's quite a distance, so taxi/limo may be on the expensive side, and since I have to do 2 R/Ts I would prefer a cheaper option.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
1. Fly Virgin Upper Class and you get a complimentary limo both ways.

2. Taxi, limo - check hotel website for costs. (Memory tells me around $20, but better to check.)

3. Bus linking several hotels and the airport, can be booked on arrival. Cheaper, but a longer journey of course.

[edited to insert the necessary words 'Upper Class'!]

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited Jan 07, 2004).]
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
We found taxi's the best option and from what I can remember, it was not all that expensive. As a matter of fact, we arranged for the same taxi driver that took us to Sandton to pick us up and return us JNB when we left for Kruger park. I can't remember why, but we arranged for this driver to pick us up a second time. He was also there promptly.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:51 am

Taxis run (from the airport) at about 200 ZAR (you need to negotiate in advance), and 260 ZAR from the hotel. With the rand so high against the dollar, it is rather expensive. (I was there last week.)

The other option is the "Magic Bus", which I think is around 40-70 ZAR. This shuttle does the rounds between the airport and the Sandton hotels. It might take longer, but much more reasonable.

Check out their website, www.magicbus.co.za for more information.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:56 am

Here's a better link to their schedule and rates (I was a bit off on the rates, it's 95 ZAR): http://www.magicbus.co.za/webrates2003.html

Scroll down to Sandton Shuttle.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:59 am

Magic Bus is easy and convenient. Don't hesitate to use it. Will drop you at the hotel.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Question Taxi better for 2 or more?

With the Sandton Shuttle running ZAR 95 /pax each way, it would appear that taxi is more convenient for 2 and much cheaper for 3 or more?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have done both the complimentary limo service (long wait) from EK and VS, and hired a car myself and driven. AVIS run the limo service (or did) thus I guess you could contact them directly and get a price.

The drive was fairly straigtforward, and if you are not too nervous about the world falling in if you accidentally take a wrong turn, then could b the preferable way to go. Not sure if I would fancy that after a longhaul flight and lots of wine though.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
JNB to Sandton

When we arrived at JNB, there are all kinds of taxi drivers (non-metered) looking for your business. We met up with this guy that took us to Sandton (not all that expensive as I recall). We also arranged for him to pick us up the following day to take us back to JNB...we are going to Kruger Park. He showed up on time the following day....As I recall, we arranged for him to pick us up at the other end of our trip as well.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I was the original poster, and here is my report. Like I said I had to do 2 R/Ts within couple of weeks. The first time I took a private car, reserved and waiting for me. I just came of a flight from HKG so I didn't want to be looking around for anything else. Worked great and it was ZAR250, about $42.
The other 3 times I did arrange the MagicBus to pick me up and take me back to the hotel the following week as well as pick me up again. It was ZAR95 each time, about $15-16. I would do that in a hearthbeat again next time. The bus does stop at 5 hotels, but they are all just a block or 2 away fom the Hilton, so once the pickups are done, it's the same route as a taxi or private limo. The bus added about 15 minutes to the ride, well worth the savings. Actually on the way from the airport the Hilton was either the 1st or 2nd stop. I highly recommended it.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Question Cheaper rates at Sandton (RSA)?

Just wondering if the Sandton Hilton has been raising its rates lately and how one can get it cheaper? Some prior reports for August 2003 pegged the hotel at USD 60/nt. I reserved months ago and the best rate then and prepaid now is close to USD 200 before taxes. Am reconsidering staying there as room+taxes and transfers will run US$288 for a 26 hour layover.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 4:49 pm

Keep in mind that the exchange rate of Rand to $ changed dramatically (not quite doubled, but close to that, the lowest I recall being about 12 Rand for 1 $, now about 6.5). Also, depending on the travel dates, I can see rates as low as $134 for June 2004 ("Weekend in Style", including full breakfast and late checkout).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.