Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue {US-LA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue {US-LA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
On my second night here and am fortunate to have a renovated suite. I really like the room and the very spacious bathroom. However, the executive lounge is still closed and they're using the chapel on the 11th floor as a substitute. Really a cheap set up with poor continental breakfast offerings.

Check in and customer service has been poor, the elevators are very slow, and the hallways look like they haven't been vacuumed in over a month. I wouldn't return.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:43 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I waited too long to commit to a conference so with the St. Charles half the price of the Riverside it was a no-brainer.

The Lounge is open and to quote a HH lounge-lizard who I overheard berating staff, "We want meat, I'm a Hilton Diamond and this is the worst lounge I've ever been in." I don't want breakfast meat myself, all I want at 0700 is a banana (they didn't have) and a yoghurt (they didn't have). I can't say it is the worst, although nothing else comes to mind.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jailer
The Lounge is open and to quote a HH lounge-lizard who I overheard berating staff, "We want meat, I'm a Hilton Diamond and this is the worst lounge I've ever been in." I don't want breakfast meat myself, all I want at 0700 is a banana (they didn't have) and a yoghurt (they didn't have). I can't say it is the worst, although nothing else comes to mind.
I recently stayed at Hilton New Orleans St. Charles for three nights. I enjoyed the property (especially the spacious suite and popular on-site restaurant) and would happily return, but also found the new executive lounge somewhat lacking.

While the physical lounge space was stylish, airy, and comfortable, the catering and staffing disappointed. Food items were sometimes not replenished once exhausted, even with significant time remaining in the advertised breakfast and evening reception windows. The staff, though exceedingly friendly, were clearly overwhelmed by the number of guests and their requests. One attendant was simply not enough to pick up after a full lounge, restock basic supplies (much less food), and serve alcohol in a timely manner.

Given the well-appointed space, friendly staff, and reasonably priced wine and beer ($3 per serving), the lounge had a lot of potential for a domestic property. Unfortunately, poor management hobbled the overall experience.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MS02113
I recently stayed at Hilton New Orleans St. Charles for three nights. I enjoyed the property (especially the spacious suite and popular on-site restaurant) and would happily return, but also found the new executive lounge somewhat lacking.

While the physical lounge space was stylish, airy, and comfortable, the catering and staffing disappointed. Food items were sometimes not replenished once exhausted, even with significant time remaining in the advertised breakfast and evening reception windows. The staff, though exceedingly friendly, were clearly overwhelmed by the number of guests and their requests. One attendant was simply not enough to pick up after a full lounge, restock basic supplies (much less food), and serve alcohol in a timely manner.

Given the well-appointed space, friendly staff, and reasonably priced wine and beer ($3 per serving), the lounge had a lot of potential for a domestic property. Unfortunately, poor management hobbled the overall experience.
Appreciate the feedback
I've stayed at ST Charles and just have an ok feeling about it
Its ok fair enough if priced right.But I'm typically much happier elsewhere

This is not an isolated experience in North America properties but Hilton in particular has had the most noticeable decline in catering in a number of properties i have visited with regards to declining club lounge experiences
The Hilton Riverside which years ago was an outstanding example of club lounge excellence is now similar to a Holiday Inn Express and a very sad state of affairs
I wont likely return after over a decades of past exteremely satisfying experiences
While Hilton International club lounges still makes Hilton proud IMHO North America properties are and have been for some time so bad I have moved my business elsewhere for good.

Its especially concerning due to the highest redemption costs in Hilton history combined with eroding mileage benefits and higher night and stay counts to obtain Diamond status
We have lost Diamond special arrangement and when you add it all up
I rarely stay with them anymore
Whats important if anyone really cares about the declining quality at Hiltons is to report it to Hilton Guest Assistance where they can document it so hopeful improvements can be made
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:36 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni

Although a few windows wouldn't hurt, I do agree that the E.L. is very nice legacy-hotel type space with beautiful ceiling and wall details and period chandeliers. Adding to the decoration--and I guiltily write this from the E.L.--is a 20-something guy who slept head down on the table three out of four days. He couldn't have been nicer when I told him that he couldn't bum a smoke from me 'cause I don't.

It is poor management indeed when one staff answered, "no, we haven't had bananas for over a month" and when there is no water in the fridge tonight. The tacit instruction from on-high seems to be, "save money", but then again I'm too cheap to carry around cigs that I don't smoke to give to down-and-out lounge critters.

And thanks for reminding me to try Lukes', maybe tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold

Originally Posted by Jailer
Although a few windows wouldn't hurt, I do agree that the E.L. is very nice legacy-hotel type space with beautiful ceiling and wall details and period chandeliers. Adding to the decoration--and I guiltily write this from the E.L.--is a 20-something guy who slept head down on the table three out of four days. He couldn't have been nicer when I told him that he couldn't bum a smoke from me 'cause I don't.

It is poor management indeed when one staff answered, "no, we haven't had bananas for over a month" and when there is no water in the fridge tonight. The tacit instruction from on-high seems to be, "save money", but then again I'm too cheap to carry around cigs that I don't smoke to give to down-and-out lounge critters.

And thanks for reminding me to try Lukes', maybe tomorrow.
It is frightening how accurate both of your descriptions are. Amazing lounge for furniture and style, horrible for actually benefits (IE horrible breakfast and never stocked with food/drinks/understaffed).
Old May 23, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
As a Hilton Gold I'm planning first N.O. trip, probably in Oct. Would this be a good choice or would you recommend a different Hilton? Two adults, no kids. Want to spend 3 days seeing the sights.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
As a Hilton Gold I'm planning first N.O. trip, probably in Oct. Would this be a good choice or would you recommend a different Hilton? Two adults, no kids. Want to spend 3 days seeing the sights.
While it's been a while since I've stayed here, I really like this property. It's recently renovated and very conveniently located. Both street car lines are only a minute or two away, it's easy walking distance to the Quarter or anything you want to do downtown.

Somebody just posted a Trip Report in that forum of the Hampton Inn/Convention Center and their suite looked fantastic. I would recommend steering clear of the Doubletree New Orleans. I stayed there last year for 2 nights and it has not aged well, and had pretty pitiful elite bennies to boot. I haven't stayed at any of the other Hilton brand properties in NOLA and there are more HI/HGIs than you can shake a stick at. There is an HI that's right on St. Charles in a more residential part of town and while I'd recommend that for Mardi Gras, I wouldn't for a weekend the rest of the year.

It's disappointing to read the comments here about the decline in service in the past year because it used to be great. The EL used to offer free booze during happy hour (pre-renovation). My best stay here (March 2015) was actually when the lounge was closed because you'd get breakfast chits valid for Luke's which was AMAZING. The lounge happy hour was still free/available was moved to a random corner of a hallway by the gym and staffed by a staff member who didn't care to enforce the 2 free drinks per person limit. My colleague and I were the only two there near the end and he just came over and was like, "yall want the rest of the open bottles of wine? I can't re-use them". We obliged

Last edited by krazykanuck; May 23, 2017 at 9:49 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
Among the full-service properties in New Orleans, the Hilton on St. Charles would be my second choice after the Roosevelt Hotel. That said, I recognize that the latter is significantly more expensive and affords fewer HHonors benefits (owing to its Waldorf Astoria affiliation).
Old May 24, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
While it's been a while since I've stayed here, I really like this property. It's recently renovated and very conveniently located. Both street car lines are only a minute or two away, it's easy walking distance to the Quarter or anything you want to do downtown.

Somebody just posted a Trip Report in that forum of the Hampton Inn/Convention Center and their suite looked fantastic. I would recommend steering clear of the Doubletree New Orleans. I stayed there last year for 2 nights and it has not aged well, and had pretty pitiful elite bennies to boot. I haven't stayed at any of the other Hilton brand properties in NOLA and there are more HI/HGIs than you can shake a stick at. There is an HI that's right on St. Charles in a more residential part of town and while I'd recommend that for Mardi Gras, I wouldn't for a weekend the rest of the year.

It's disappointing to read the comments here about the decline in service in the past year because it used to be great. The EL used to offer free booze during happy hour (pre-renovation). My best stay here (March 2015) was actually when the lounge was closed because you'd get breakfast chits valid for Luke's which was AMAZING. The lounge happy hour was still free/available was moved to a random corner of a hallway by the gym and staffed by a staff member who didn't care to enforce the 2 free drinks per person limit. My colleague and I were the only two there near the end and he just came over and was like, "yall want the rest of the open bottles of wine? I can't re-use them". We obliged
Among the full-service properties in New Orleans, the Hilton on St. Charles would be my second choice after the Roosevelt Hotel. That said, I recognize that the latter is significantly more expensive and affords fewer HHonors benefits (owing to its Waldorf Astoria affiliation).
Thanks to both of you!!^
Old May 24, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
If I'm not at the W=A Roosevelt, my next favorite property is the Hampton Inn St. Charles Ave. Garden District. It's small and very quiet. They occasionally have a manager's reception in the afternoons. The streetcar stop is immediately in front of the hotel.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

I was about to pull the trigger and book this hotel for a family stay over Christmas... now not too sure. Doing a search on this topic yielded only a comment on Tripadvisor that breakfast was "standard" but from this thread seems catering is "overall bad".

What does the lounge serve exactly at breakfast?

Is there evening cocktails?

At other times, are guests free to help themselves to soft drinks and water?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I was about to pull the trigger and book this hotel for a family stay over Christmas... now not too sure. Doing a search on this topic yielded only a comment on Tripadvisor that breakfast was "standard" but from this thread seems catering is "overall bad".

What does the lounge serve exactly at breakfast?

Is there evening cocktails?

At other times, are guests free to help themselves to soft drinks and water?
Looking for an update too. Anyone?

I did read that there is an "honor bar" for alcohol in the EL.

Breakfast worth it?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
I am here now. Pretty PO'd because the package sent on the 22nd via Priority Mail was "return to sender”by the hotel. Checked in on Saturday wondering why the package was out of delivery on Friday never made it. The box contained some clothing that I need for tonight. They even lied to me that the package was returned on the 20th because I cancelled the reservation. What? The reservation was made on the 18th and it was the same one I checked in with and how could a package be refused by the hotel on the 20th when it was not even mailed out until the 22nd? Talked to a manager last night he said he would call me back...nothing. I then talked to another manager and he could not assume responsibility. What a total joke. Call Hilton Corporate to file a complaint. I still had the postal receipt and tracking info. I am asking the hotel to reimburse me for the clothing I need to buy for the event, totally around $60.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
I am here now. Pretty PO'd because the package sent on the 22nd via Priority Mail was "return to sender”by the hotel. Checked in on Saturday wondering why the package was out of delivery on Friday never made it. The box contained some clothing that I need for tonight. They even lied to me that the package was returned on the 20th because I cancelled the reservation. What? The reservation was made on the 18th and it was the same one I checked in with and how could a package be refused by the hotel on the 20th when it was not even mailed out until the 22nd? Talked to a manager last night he said he would call me back...nothing. I then talked to another manager and he could not assume responsibility. What a total joke. Call Hilton Corporate to file a complaint. I still had the postal receipt and tracking info. I am asking the hotel to reimburse me for the clothing I need to buy for the event, totally around $60.
did you call the hotel in advance and let them know you were sending a package?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.