FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Rate Confusion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/582143-rate-confusion.html)

yosithezet Jul 23, 2006 3:11 am

Rate Confusion

I'm looking at the rates for a stay in the Trident Hilton Chennai and don't quite get the logic of the rates:

* FULLY FLEXIBLE - USD 119
* DISCOVER INDIA SPECIAL SUMMER RATE WITH B'FAST, 1000 HHONORS - USD 130 tax incl
* HILTON VALUE 1NIGHT CREDITCARD DEPOSIT REQUIRED ON BOOKING - USD 129
* BED AND BREAKFAST BUFFET BREAKFAST INCLUDED - USD 129

1) From what I've read on other threads the "Fully Flexible" means that the hotel can change the rate. Unclear to me if they can change it once I've booked it or not.

2) For USD 11 more I can get breakfast included with the Discover India rate but it isn't clear what the 1000 HHONORS is all about. Do I get 1K extra or do I have to pay them 1K points?

3) The Hilton Value rate doesn't seem like much of a value and for the same price I can get B&B and not have to put down the CC deposit.

Anyone able to provide some more information?

cjd Jul 23, 2006 3:33 am

This confusion about rates happens a lot and you have to be on your guard to ensure you get the best rate and don't lose out. The way I understand it is:
1)Fully flexible is a room only rate and once booked will not change. It usually gives you more flexibility if you wish to change or cancel - often up to 4pm on the day of arrival. These rates can go up and down, which does give you the choice of changing if the rate goes lower.
2)Discover India Special. Hotels often have special rates throughout the year and sometimes give bonus HHonors points also. These rates do not tend to change and as there are only a certain amount of rooms per hotel at this offer, they can sometimes disappear quite quickly as they are booked. Sometimes you have to prepay on special rates and therefore there is no flexibility.
3)Hilton Value Rate. As you state, requires credit card deposit and sometimes even full deposit. No breakfast included, but you can sometimes cancel up to perhaps 2-3 days beforehand. Again these rates can go up or down.
4)Bed and Breakfast Rate. Again not usually as flexible as room only Fully Flexible Rate. In this case you quote $10 more than flexible rate. If you are talking about 2 guests and unless you are guranteed an upgrade to Executive floor with lounge breakfast, for two people an extra $5 per person is good value. These rates can also vary.

There are also Net Direct and Hilton Pre-paid rates which require full payment when booking and these rates cannot be changed or cancelled. If I'm wrong on any of the above, I'm sure others will correct me.

yosithezet Jul 27, 2006 12:10 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
[snip]
* DISCOVER INDIA SPECIAL SUMMER RATE WITH B'FAST, 1000 HHONORS - USD 130 tax incl
[snip]
2) For USD 11 more I can get breakfast included with the Discover India rate but it isn't clear what the 1000 HHONORS is all about. Do I get 1K extra or do I have to pay them 1K points?
[snip]

Thanks for the information. I ended up writing to the hotel and they responded that the rate gives a bonus of an extra 1000 HHonors points. It includes breakfast so I can see no downside to the rate. Staying there next week!