Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
I'd like to stay at the Conrad but prices are just a little high. Any experiences at the nearby Hampton, Homewood or HGI?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cop35758
I'd like to stay at the Conrad but prices are just a little high. Any experiences at the nearby Hampton, Homewood or HGI?
Also the rooftop bar at the Conrad doesn't open until May, which was one of the highlights of that property for me
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by cop35758
Any experiences at the nearby Hampton, Homewood or HGI?
If you're talking the Hampton/Homewood combo on Huron then yeah, I've stayed at it, on the Homewood side. Perfectly fine, brand-standard Homewood property. If there's a significant price advantage, go for it.

Also, I don't entirely get the comments about the Loop as a negative location. Have spent many dozens of nights in Loop hotels during dead and non-dead periods of all seasons...if you're going to River North then it's a 10-minute walk, and if you're going to another nightlife/dining area (e.g. Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc.) it's gonna be CTA or an Uber anyhow...

The upside of the Loop being "dead" is the massive overcapacity in hotels on weekends at certain times of year. I've had the PH for $70/night at times. Happy to walk a little for that.

Last edited by arlflyer; Mar 17, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by arlflyer
The upset of the Loop being "dead" is the massive overcapacity in hotels on weekends at certain times of year. I've had the PH for $70/night at times. Happy to walk a little for that.
Absolutely agree with you. The wife and I will regularly do date nights at the Kimpton properties because they are so incredibly cheap and we usually end up in some of the best rooms they have. I just wanted to make the point because it's a bachelor party, so nightlife might be important and those few blocks can make a big difference, especially in April when the weather could be 20 or 60... or both in the same day.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Conrad is the best choice in my opinion. If that is out of the price range, I do like the loop hotels and there is the advantage of weekend pricing being favorable. Another option based on location and a daily happy hour is the Embassy Suites located between Ohio and Ontario. Rock solid location.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:19 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Downtown Chicago Help

Despite passing through ORD probably 800-1000 times in my life, I've never spent a night outside of the Rosemont area! I have an upcoming meeting for a few days at the Merchandise Mart (just north of the river, near LaSalle/Kinzie). I have no experience on any of the Downtown area...To tl;dr this, I've narrowed down to:

1. Palmer House (about same price as #2 )
2. theWit (about same price as #1 )
3. Hilton Suites Magnificent Mile (furthest away, but like $60/night less).

I work for a family company, so cost is always important; my main issues:

1. Price
2. I do like a nice, hearty breakfast.
3. Executive lounge access.
4. Room size (way down on the list, I'm traveling solo, but hoping HH Diamond gets me some sort of room better than just run-of-the-mill).

I don't drink and I don't care too much for night life or dining out. (Been there, done that enough in this world). I've read the various threads for the Wit and Palmer House and they're both a mixed bag, and it seems the Diamond benefits change frequently as well.

I am leaning towards Palmer House--seems to still give Diamonds a decent breakfast, has an exec lounge, and I am one for historic places, and it looks fascinating to me. theWit is the closest (but I Uber, Lyft and don't mind a bit of a walk either), but the Magnificent Mile suites seem nice, certainly more spacious, and has an executive floor. Surprisingly (at least to me) several Hamptons and the HGI nearby are all more $ than all three of these places.

I'd love any further input, with thanks!
Old May 25, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sky Miles Gold
I've stayed multiple times at the Hilton Suites and prefer it much more than the Palmer House mostly due to rate, room size, and neighborhood. The Palmer House was grand in its day but hasn't aged well, in my opinion. The Hilton Suites executive lounge has a breakfast in the morning but is usually continental plus eggs so possibly not hearty but certainly nice. If you enjoy walking or running the Hilton Suites is right along the lake with easy access.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The Wit gives you a cup of coffee and one slice of toast as the Diamond Breakfast benefit.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Miesque
The Wit gives you a cup of coffee and one slice of toast as the Diamond Breakfast benefit.
And on top of that no executive lounge.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:40 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll stick with the Palmer House. It is the closest. Breakfast at the Hilton Suites doesn't sound so spectacular, and the distance is a bit of a factor--not a huge factor, but one nonetheless.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Miesque
That's not *anywhere* near true. Skip the sarcasm and stick to facts. You get $15.50 (for each person up to two people) to use towards anything on the menu at State and Lake. In reality, that will get you anything on the menu. I was just there this past weekend, and while they no longer give you the coupons that state the benefit, the benefit is there.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Considering breakfast and room upgrades for HHonor Gold members, would Palmer House, Hilton Chicago, or Conrad Chicago yield the most benefits? I saw the above posts referencing Conrad Chicago's skimpy breakfast benefits for Diamonds, so if nothing has changed, I'd expect equal or skimpier breakfast for HHonors Gold. I'm a Starwood refugee fleeing Marriott's benefit devaluation. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Totoro
Considering breakfast and room upgrades for HHonor Gold members, would Palmer House, Hilton Chicago, or Conrad Chicago yield the most benefits? I saw the above posts referencing Conrad Chicago's skimpy breakfast benefits for Diamonds, so if nothing has changed, I'd expect equal or skimpier breakfast for HHonors Gold. I'm a Starwood refugee fleeing Marriott's benefit devaluation. Thanks in advance for your advice!
I stayed at the Conrad last month, they’ve changed their breakfast benefit for diamond or gold members to $30 off at either restaurant, can be used at any meal but not room service. Easily covered my breakfast each day, every item I ordered was very good, and I got a great view of the city while eating from the restaurant on the 20th floor. Considering I heard the Hilton got rid of their executive lounge and the breakfast benefit was decreased at some of the other nice properties in the city, I thought that was a pretty good benefit. I’ve stayed at the Conrad twice and both times was able to get a room on a high floor as my upgrade (you could probably get an actual upgrade to a room facing the Mag Mile, but I always ask for a high floor on the other side of the hotel because I prefer to be away from the busy street). They provide complimentary bottled water that they refill every day, which is nice. You’re also talking about 3 very different properties... the Conrad is much newer in a more modern building and is a smaller hotel, whereas the Hilton and PH are historic properties with a lot of rooms, and the locations of all 3 are pretty different. Personally, I much prefer the location of the Conrad. It’s worth going in the lobby of the PH if you have never been there, though, it’s pretty impressive.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Question Which Chicago Hilton 12/26/12/28?

Due to a cancelled business trip DH and I are taking an unexpected trip to Chicago 12/26-12/28 for a mileage run. We will be using Hilton points for the hotel. I have only have gold status. I have looked at the Palmer, Drake, theWit, LondonHouse, Hilton Chicago, and Waldorf. I loved theWit for the soaker tub, 400tc sheets and floor to ceiling windows. LondonHouse seems to have a good location for nightlife. The Waldorf has a fireplace option which is nice, but I am not sure it is worth twice the points since we arrive late the 26th and leave early the 28th and I am not sure we will make full use of the hotel. We haven't finalized itinerary and can adapt itinerary to hotel if needed. Does anyone have recommendations based on location/dates? Are any of the hotels particularly noteworthy at Christmas? TIA for any advice.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I like the Palmer House for transit access, and the lobby is always beautiful. The Hilton Chicago seems to do more holiday decorating and is near the park. Both have been hit-or-miss on Gold upgrades, especially when staying on points. Speaking of points, definitely look at the cash prices to see if there's a good deal. I've booked rooms at great prices before during the last week of December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.