Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Old May 4, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the location works, the restored Palmer House is gorgeous.

Otherwise, I'd pick the Drake for its history.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
LondonHouse would be my first choice. The Wit is often overlooked. Both with rooftop nightspots that are destinations in their own right and both are close to many of Chicago's offerings.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:13 am
sjv

Another vote for LondonHouse, had a great stay and right in the middle of everything and close to the L.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
I have just made reservations for later in November for the Conrad and The Wit (my usual hotel). It will be interesting to see the new Conrad.

I haven't booked The London House. I have been put off by some of the trip reports which say the breakfast is sparse and it is impossible to get into the bar without booking in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:27 am

PH is my go-to if paying cash. Good amenities, has an EL, and excellent location. Aside from big events, rates are often very reasonable just due to the sheer number of rooms. Other places command premiums that I personally don't find to be worth it.

If cost is no object, the LondonHouse for sure! Very nice property.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
I enjoyed the Embassy Suites on State. Good location, close to the L, great price (although it was January and most Hiltons in the area were pretty comparable in price), and I enjoyed the free flowing drinks at happy hour. The bartender had no issue letting me take a drink back to my room either.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am really considering the Curio LondonHouse or DoubleTree theWit (or even the Hilton Garden between the two). Does that seem to be a good location to most things?

Regarding The Drake, is that real far north to a lot of stuff or is that still in the thick of things?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:32 pm

If the prices are even in the same ballpark/universe and you are choosing between those two, go with LondonHouse. I know that thewit has its fans, but while it's kind of interesting and modern-ish/artsy-ish (think W, sort of), the LondonHouse is a truly high-end property.

Personally, I consider the Drake and WA to be in walking distance but my idea of walking distance is an outlier. By the combination of price, location, and offering, I've never found myself staying at the Drake (though I do like to just pop into the property for historical appeal). The WA used to be my go-to for high-end, but the LH has honestly changed that.

If you want to be right "in the thick of things" per a more normal definition than my love of 30-minute walks, I would stick with the LondonHouse, wit, PH, or Hilton - or one of the lower-tier properties in the immediate vicinity.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If you want to be right "in the thick of things" per a more normal definition than my love of 30-minute walks, I would stick with the LondonHouse, wit, PH, or Hilton - or one of the lower-tier properties in the immediate vicinity.
We actually don't mind the 30-minute walks when exploring (we do mind them a little more though when we are getting back from the bar haha). By the Hilton, I am assuming you mean the Hilton Garden?

Would you consider The Chicago Hilton to be a bit far south of most things?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyou10
We actually don't mind the 30-minute walks when exploring (we do mind them a little more though when we are getting back from the bar haha). By the Hilton, I am assuming you mean the Hilton Garden?

Would you consider The Chicago Hilton to be a bit far south of most things?
No, I meant the Chicago Hilton. It it a bit south indeed - just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to go bar-hopping in River North, I'd stick to the other properties. But, it's a very nice property with a lot of amenities and great views, so it just depends on what you value most. Though honestly, across all of this, we're talking a couple miles, which is a really short and cheap uberX ride, so these locations are mostly in the noise IMO. I've stayed at pretty much ever place mentioned and never been unhappy.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Independent
I'm going to the Auto show in a few weeks.

I am debating between the Doubletree Wit and Doubletree Magnificent Mile. I get in about one, will get to the hotel (by Lyft or Shuttle Van) and then head down to the Auto Show at McCormic Place. I am only spending one night so probably only go grab a nice dinner afterwards and head back to the hotel.

The Wit runs me about $40 more, BUT I can walk from there to Millenium Station to grab Metra to the show. From the Magnificent Mile I would likely need to take a Lyft down there, so that eats up a bunch of the savings.

Anyone have a good reason why I would want to stay at one or the other?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Going end of the month for a special occasion - diamond, looking at spending 2 nights at Conrad/Waldorf ($269 vs $300/night) and then either the Drake (which seems to give a lot of Diamond upgrades lately) or Lincoln (despite awkward layout/strange bar situation) - any thoughts or advice?

Going to use an Amex offer, combined with a couple promos for the first 2 nights, but don't feel the need to stay in 3, or if I want to switch over to the Park Hyatt for the 3rd night.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:44 pm
KRS

Advice for 5-night award stay for (soon-to-be) ex-Diamond during Marathon?

Rates are fairly high in Chicago during the Chicago Marathon in October so I am planning to use points.

My Diamond status is expiring at the end of this month, and I am not sure if I will be able to redeem for "5th night free" after that happens so looking to book this month. This probably also means no lounge, and I am travelling with my girlfriend so we are only 2 persons, no kids.

For my dates these hotels are all 56,000 point/night (or $340-$380/night):
-LondonHouse
-theWit
-The Drake

For the Marathon the LH or Wit are best located out of these but otherwise it seems most of our planned destinations are further north (Local Option, Map Room, Bangers&Lace, Piece Brewery to mention a few) which tips the hat in favour of The Drake.

I need to top up my account ($300) to afford one of those properties, but can have one of these for 40,000 points/night instead:
-any one of the Hampton Inns
-Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/North Loop
-DoubleTree - Magnificent Mile (which nobody seems to like)

In between, at 48,000 points/night comes:
-Any one of the Embassy Suites
-Homewood Suites Chicago-Downtown
-Homewood Suites Downtown/Magnificent Mile

Is this a no-brainer and I should go for the Curio, or is there more to consider, or are all of the options more or less OK and I can't go right/wrong anyway?

Any advice or feedback appreciated!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
London house curio has awesome rooms

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It's a good location next to the loop el. You get great views of the Chicago river. I ordered off the menu for breakfast and it was very good. The drake has a great breakfast buffet. And the good there is quite good imho. The rooms are older and dated. Lake view rooms, especially the suites, are kind of fun.

Last edited by Steve Weagant; Mar 18, 2017 at 8:02 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:13 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hampton Inn Mag Mile (160 E Huron) Chicago

Review of The Windsor, the restaurant/bar at the Hampton Inn Mag Mile:

Mrs Willie has a conf/training going on this weekend 1/2 block from Northwestern University Hospital campus. We had grand plans to take the water taxi from Michigan Ave to Chinatown but after a very long day, she was in the mood for something very local.

We ended up at The Windsor @ 160 E Huron http://thewindsorchicago.com/

For the record, happy hour is from 3-6pm Mon-Fri.

Had 3 starters:
Smoked Trout Dip - served with saltine crackers and some sliced Fresno chilies and scallions

Special of the Day starter of crisped pork belly sliders, served on sweet buns with tomato jam

K Town Short Ribs - two thin slices of grilled marinated short rib (bone in) done Korean BBQ style served with an Asian style slaw.

Each and every item was terrific, we were just pleased as could be.

The Windsor
160 E Huron
Chicago IL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.