Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
You should never be refused lounge access as a Diamond. Can't comment specifically on ELs in Chicago properties, as none of the many properties I've used there have had one!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:27 pm

Oh dear. I was actually starting to think about how I would start to explain domestic Hilton property lounge and breakfast "benefits" to someone who has only been to non-US properties, but then I got embarrassed. I'll leave now.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...roperties.html

I have not been denied access to the lounge at the Drake as a Diamond. I had four stays there last year.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Skymiles Member, Budget Fastbreak
I have stayed on the Executive Floor at the Palmer House and have been quite pleased with the experience there. They have served a nice breakfast in the morning and then good apps in the afternoon. There are snacks and soda's available throughout the day, but no alcohol is complimentary. I'd highly recommend it though for as a strong US Executive Lounge.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
As a European I can honestly say that there isn't a single US EL lounge which is of any interest whatsoever. US EL breakfasts are a bit, well, too "US" for my taste. Everything is too sweet..

If I am in Chicago I stay at The Wit (doubletree). No EL, no upgrade, but a contribution coupon towards a decent breakfast.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Truffles
As a European I can honestly say that there isn't a single US EL lounge which is of any interest whatsoever. US EL breakfasts are a bit, well, too "US" for my taste. Everything is too sweet..

If I am in Chicago I stay at The Wit (doubletree). No EL, no upgrade, but a contribution coupon towards a decent breakfast.
Wit has always been great about upgrading me providing the rooms or suites were available. This is a popular hotel that sells out a lot though so I realize upgrades can't be given then.

Wit is my favorite Chicago hotel, but usually the rates are a lot higher than the Palmer House
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:53 pm

Thank you all for such prompt and useful responses. Now it seems more clear - good to know that all before to avoid surprises once our holiday will start.

Have you all a good day.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pauluk16
Dear All,

I am going with my wife to Chicago in week of 27th April for 5-day holidays. I was planning to use my HHonors points to stay in one of Hilton and leverage my Diamond status to get an access to Executive Lounge, like I always did while travelling & working in Europe. As I never stayed in Hilton in US before I did my research to choose the best option (incl. valuable insights from this forum), but it seems to me that Exec Lounge experience differ a lot between US and Europe. In hotels I visited so far (London, Vienna, Prague) I was always granted access to Exec Lounge (as Diamond member) and the concept was quite similar:
•full breakfast in the morning (could freely choose between Restaurant and Lounge)
•For most of the day Lounge open with cold & hot drinks and some snacks & fruits
•2-3 hours during the evening with free beverages, alcohol (wine, whisky, etc.) and some hot & cold snacks /food

As I understand in Hiltons in US (Chicago) is a little bit different. Firstly, you can be refused access to Lounge even being a Diamond member (e.g. The Drake) and then there is no time when you can have wine / drinks for free (you pay what you consumed based on your declaration) ? Moreover, I understand that for Diamonds the breakfast is always guaranteed, but sometimes you cannot eat in the restaurant (you have to do it in lounge, where I guess variety is limited)?

As said, initially I wanted to choose one of the Hilton in Chicago with Executive Lounge (i.e. The Drake, Palmer House, Hilton Chicago or Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites), paying for them with points, but if Diamond benefits are so limited I am not sure and probably would like to consider other options.

I would appreciate all insights about Exec Lounges in Hiltons in Chicago. Of course any other information / suggestions about Hiltons in Chicago are welcomed. Thank you in advance!
Palmer house is best for location for both airports. The orange line to midway is literally outside the adams street entrance and the Blue line to O'Hare is only a block away.

I have been denied access as a diamond at the Drake (not sure if they changed that policy or not) since I wasn't on the exec floor despite the T&C of Hilton.

I don't care for the location of the Drake. The Chicago Hilton isn't that convenient to the subway either, a few block walk to the redline at Roosevelt and you have to transfer trains if you are coming from ORD. I haven't been at the Chicago Hilton in a while, but I did get a suite upgrade last time I was there a couple years ago but the lounge isn't that good.

Palmer House used top have an issue with overcrowding when they allowed all gold's access but now gold's have to take breakfast in the restaurant and don't get access so overcrowding isn't as big of an issue and they have scrambled eggs and pancakes as breakfast choices. Upgrades are hit/miss there, I have received a huge suite upgrade before and my stay a couple weeks ago I received a large exec room upgrade with two bathrooms but other times it's possible a gold will get a better upgrade than a diamond there.

No lounge, but the Wit is my preferred property. They are great about giving upgrades if they are available and the breakfast if a voucher towards a certain $ amount off the menu items in the state/lake restaurant. It is a boutique type hotel and has a great roof top deck and is a good value for points since rates usually are pretty high
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Palmer house is best for location for both airports. The orange line to midway is literally outside the adams street entrance and the Blue line to O'Hare is only a block away.

I have been denied access as a diamond at the Drake (not sure if they changed that policy or not) since I wasn't on the exec floor despite the T&C of Hilton.

I don't care for the location of the Drake. The Chicago Hilton isn't that convenient to the subway either, a few block walk to the redline at Roosevelt and you have to transfer trains if you are coming from ORD.

Last summer for both of my stays at the Conrad, I took the Blue line and transferred to the red line as the Conrad is about a block of so from the Grand station on the red line. Transferring with luggage was a bit of a pain. The Drake and Waldorf are a bit of a hike with luggage from their nearest station. I blew out one of my spinner wheels on my Samsonite whilst navigating the streets of Chicago last summer moving between the Waldorf and Conrad and as a result would not recommend walking too big a distance with luggage.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have 2 weekend night certificates expiring in june so i'm planning on using them on an upcoming trip to chicago....i've been to the city multiple times but have never stayed at a hilton property here before....i would prefer to be in the downtown/magnificent mile area....i'm not picky about executive lounge access or upgrades....which property would the local experts here suggest given that i can use up the certs at any location????
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Keyser
i have 2 weekend night certificates expiring in june so i'm planning on using them on an upcoming trip to chicago....i've been to the city multiple times but have never stayed at a hilton property here before....i would prefer to be in the downtown/magnificent mile area....i'm not picky about executive lounge access or upgrades....which property would the local experts here suggest given that i can use up the certs at any location????
Read back a few pages. I don't know if you can use the certs at the WA but if you can it would be the first choice. Otherwise, the Wit, Drake, or Palmer House.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Read back a few pages. I don't know if you can use the certs at the WA but if you can it would be the first choice. Otherwise, the Wit, Drake, or Palmer House.
i did & i was leaning towards either the wa, the conrad or the wit....couldn't decide between the 3....the agent said i could use it at any property....
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did & i was leaning towards either the wa, the conrad or the wit....couldn't decide between the 3....the agent said i could use it at any property....
The WA is the nicest of the three but location is a pain if you are coming from the Airport.

Conrad you'll have to walk about 1/2 mile from the clark blue line stop if coming from Ohare or transfer to the red line and it will take you right to state/grand where the Conrad is or coming from Midway transfer at Roosevelt to the red line to State/Grand or walk 1/2 mile from State/Lake.

Wit is easiest to get to of the three from the airport. From MDW the orange line goes to state/lake directly in front of the hotel and Ohare the clark/lake stop is only a couple blocks away.

If you don't mind the location, go with the WA. If you want to be closer to the L and shopping, etc then I would chose the Conrad if you prefer a more traditional hotel or the Wit if you like a more upscale boutique type feel.

You can't go wrong with any of those properties.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The WA is the nicest of the three but location is a pain if you are coming from the Airport.

Conrad you'll have to walk about 1/2 mile from the clark blue line stop if coming from Ohare or transfer to the red line and it will take you right to state/grand where the Conrad is or coming from Midway transfer at Roosevelt to the red line to State/Grand or walk 1/2 mile from State/Lake.

Wit is easiest to get to of the three from the airport. From MDW the orange line goes to state/lake directly in front of the hotel and Ohare the clark/lake stop is only a couple blocks away.

If you don't mind the location, go with the WA. If you want to be closer to the L and shopping, etc then I would chose the Conrad if you prefer a more traditional hotel or the Wit if you like a more upscale boutique type feel.

You can't go wrong with any of those properties.
thanks....just the type of info i was looking for....it seems like the conrad & the wit are both not available anymore for the dates i'm looking at....from your post it doesn't seem like the wa is in the best location....so now i'm looking at the palmer house as well....which one would you pick between the wa & palmer house????
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks....just the type of info i was looking for....it seems like the conrad & the wit are both not available anymore for the dates i'm looking at....from your post it doesn't seem like the wa is in the best location....so now i'm looking at the palmer house as well....which one would you pick between the wa & palmer house????
If it's a free night definitely the WA, especially since you don't care about breakfast. You can still get there on CTA from ORD, you just have to transfer to the Red line and get off at Chicago or if coming from MDW transfer from the orange line at Roosevelt or just cab or uber it from a blue or orange line stop. You'll be getting a lot more value out of the free night at the WA than Palmer house.

I love the location of the Palmer House, but upgrades are very hit/miss there and as a gold you'll only get lounge access if you are on the 22nd or 23rd floor. You'll probably get a lot nicer room at the WA and you are convenient to Michigan avenue shopping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.