Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
Thank you, Eujeanie. Breakfast, snacks and drinks are very pricey at GW. Yes, I could shop at ABC but I WILL NOT SHOP FOR GROCERIES on vacation. So after evaluating costs and convenience, Napua may not exactly net out over all (yet close); the convenience factor is huge and makes it worthwhile for us.

I have noted the several responses emphasizing ridiculous cost. Thus, our travel agent has been asked to negotiate with management, considering our overall spend. Discounted cabana and suite upgrade at the top of the list.

I'll let you know. And, thank you.
My last word, then I'll shut up since it's not my business or vacation, but "shopping for groceries" is not the same as stocking the room with granola bars, chips and soda. You aren't cooking which I won't do on vacation, either. But based on the kids being off all day anyway, and the cabanas having water/soda stocked, as well as a fruit plate/banana bread, I just wonder if you'll get any value from the Napua CLub snacks.

watch your Private Messages for something from me which might help you.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Okie dokie.

Regarding shopping for groceries, I am referring to those advocating a house rental.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:18 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm not one to judge what people spend, but if you're not already, consider buying a GW Elite membership. You save 30% on room rates and 20% on F&B and most incidentals, like cabana rentals and whatnot.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Looking in on this thread, and KatW's plans, it occurred to me: has anyone had experience with ordering delivery food to the GW?

I wouldn't think twice about getting a pizza for the kids, Thai food, etc. delivered to most any hotel in NYC (and have! So many great late night options!). It isn't out of place at all for Orlando I-Drive Strip hotels to have pizza and sandwich flyers on doorknobs and delivery is common for families not wanting to have their 9 year old ordering room service lobster.

So, other than getting over oneself's tacky barriers... why not at GW?

I've stayed there a number of times and it seems to be a lower and lower value/payoff each time. I wanted my kids to experience the pool when they were young. They dug it, but now Maui is kind of over for me. I'd rather stay up at Kaanapali, but... no Honors, so I usually go to Oahu. Now that there's a Kauai HGI, I'm enjoying hanging around on that island. OGG simply needs another Hilton option! I'd so appreciate it if a HGI or ES opened near Kaanapali or really anywhere with a beach. Sigh.

Anyway, with delivery every now and then for the kids, slipping down to Da Kitchen and other tasty-but-value eats not far from the property, you could keep prices down without cooking or going too crazy.

What's easier than meeting a delivery person and carrying a ton of Chinese takeout to your room?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:04 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Looking in on this thread, and KatW's plans, it occurred to me: has anyone had experience with ordering delivery food to the GW?

I wouldn't think twice about getting a pizza for the kids, Thai food, etc. delivered to most any hotel in NYC (and have! So many great late night options!). It isn't out of place at all for Orlando I-Drive Strip hotels to have pizza and sandwich flyers on doorknobs and delivery is common for families not wanting to have their 9 year old ordering room service lobster.

So, other than getting over oneself's tacky barriers... why not at GW?

I've stayed there a number of times and it seems to be a lower and lower value/payoff each time. I wanted my kids to experience the pool when they were young. They dug it, but now Maui is kind of over for me. I'd rather stay up at Kaanapali, but... no Honors, so I usually go to Oahu. Now that there's a Kauai HGI, I'm enjoying hanging around on that island. OGG simply needs another Hilton option! I'd so appreciate it if a HGI or ES opened near Kaanapali or really anywhere with a beach. Sigh.

Anyway, with delivery every now and then for the kids, slipping down to Da Kitchen and other tasty-but-value eats not far from the property, you could keep prices down without cooking or going too crazy.

What's easier than meeting a delivery person and carrying a ton of Chinese takeout to your room?
That's a good idea yet regretfully does not work at many resorts which don't take kindly to food deliveries.

Meanwhile, the GW Elite programs depend on repeat visits and, goddesses willing, I never will return to this resort.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 29, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The OP's list of qualifications read like an amenities list at Aulani, the Disney resort on Oahu. I think they could get a superior vacation at a better price over there.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
People act way to "high and mighty". This is a nice property in Maui. End of story. The rooms are dated and some actually in need of repair. If you are to good to "shop for groceries" or stock your room on vacation then don't complain about prices. The hotel is not going to stop you from ordering pizza or chinese, quit complaining. I love this property but if you think you are checking into the Penninsula, you are crazy
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 pm
Original Member

This was an interesting escapade in my FT experience which dates back a bit. Live and learn. Y'all can stand down now.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 29, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:25 am

Any tips to maximize our stay? Not talking about savings (hah!) rather upgrades, added amenities/benefits and the like.
And there you have it. The poster is dropping 18 large for a week in suites and "WILL NOT SHOP FOR GROCERIES". Yet this thread went off on how to save money by ordering takeout or using airbnb.

Op: Enjoy your week. The fact that none of us can fathom doing it the way you are and at your investment, colored the kind of suggestions you got, but if you can afford to vacation in this manner, more power to you.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Allow me to walk you through my thinking.
Just to put your post into my perspective the $600 you are spending on a cabana is what I spent for two nights for a room at GW on my last stay there which gave us three days of enjoying the grounds and pools.

This was after six nights in a 2BR 2BA condo at Kaanapali Alii which cost us $450/night split with another couple. We utilized a grocery service and the condo was fully stocked with food and adult beverages on our arrival. KA has a beach every bit as nice as GW. We thought bringing steaks down the their grills where a grillmaster cooked them for us was fun.

Personally I think you would be better off at Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica which is all inclusive and also has a water park. Cabanas there were like $100/day when we went last year.

I hope you have a great vacation, but keep your expectations about GW in check. While the grounds are spectacular as far as service goes it is no better and no worse than other resorts I have stayed at.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
You'll love your vacation there (we did last summer). I'm with others in avoiding the Napua suites... GW has an incredible Bfast buffet that is significantly better than the Napua spread on the main level...from past experience, have your travel agent call the hotel and I will be surprised if you couldn't switch to two non-napua suites (closer to the pools and beach) with free breakfast at the downstairs buffet for a lower rate than the napua rooms. Some of our best family vacations have been when we didn't need to pinch pennies. Most on FT use this site to help them spend less...which is admirable as well. You can also get two of the 4 people cabanas for less than the big $600 one and then have them put them together. We loved the lazy river location because you are at the pools edge and as close to the beach as possible. Lastly for the kids...follow this link http://aqualanibeach.com/Maui/rentals-tours.htm for a large fee they can have unlimited paddleboards, kayaks, snorkels, boogie boards, etc...every day. We did it a couple of days and loved it. Wish we were going back this summer. We enjoyed the fourth last year. Last side note...the only fireworks display was in Lahaina, so if you want those make dinner reservations now. Get a deck seat or upstairs at Fleetwoods or something.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Stayed here in 2013 for 360k points for 6 nights. Thinking about going back next spring so I fire up the stay calendar, everything they are releasing is 260k points a night. I looked from now until the last day available in March of 2018 and 130k points a night was the cheapest room available.

Property shouldn't be part of the brand family if they abuse the room allocation like this.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Personally I think you would be better off at Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica which is all inclusive and also has a water park. Cabanas there were like $100/day when we went last year.
I really don't think that the Hilton property is in the league of someone that is willing to spend $18K a week. And I say that as a repeat guest at the Hilton (and am typing this from onsite now).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sam_goh
I really don't think that the Hilton property is in the league of someone that is willing to spend $18K a week. And I say that as a repeat guest at the Hilton (and am typing this from onsite now).
I don't think Grand Wailea is either and I say that as a repeat guest.

The fact that KatW seemed to be having buyers remorse over the cost, wants free food, waterslides and cabanas it seemed like a good option.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
When I read sam_goh's post, I actually thought they meant that the GW is not worth $18k a week (and I would agree). Now I see that they did mean the Hilton, but still...

And just to sound like a broken record, I'll repeat my recommendation that Disney's Aulani resort hits all of the OP's must-haves and at a better price point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.