Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rolling VIP Tier Qualification, Now Terminated: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat

Hello to everyone... longtime lurker... first time poster...

I'm aware that earning elite status is typically based on calendar year (1/1/2003 thru 12/31/2003) activity. However, has anyone convinced HHonors Customer Service to bestow Diamond status for the required number of stays/nights during a rolling 12-month period (7/1/2002 thru 6/30/2003, for example)?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:24 am

Hi g8rjeff, welcome to flyertalk.

I don't think that Hilton will do that. It would be nice if they did.

[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 06-25-2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:28 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Marriott used to do this a few years ago and stopped. I think it just got too confusing to track your year-to-date status since the year kept changing (it could be a new month and you added a couple of nights but lost a week since the window moved).

Old Jun 26, 2003, 2:31 pm
SST

Ask them: my guess is that the person who talks with you on the phone hasn't got the power to do it, but writing a letter outlining your stay plans, perhaps after you've got half of the stays under your belt, might do it.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 7:36 pm

Good Luck with the attempt. Based upon my experience it won't happen, but always worth a try. When Hilton changed their qualification structure for Diamond last year I tried to get in as a diamond based upon their new qualifications (I had over 100k base points for '02) and they would not grant me diamond for '03. Hope you have better luck.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3 MM miles), UA Prem Ex, AS MVP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by g8rjeff:
Hello to everyone... longtime lurker... first time poster...

I'm aware that earning elite status is typically based on calendar year (1/1/2003 thru 12/31/2003) activity. However, has anyone convinced HHonors Customer Service to bestow Diamond status for the required number of stays/nights during a rolling 12-month period (7/1/2002 thru 6/30/2003, for example)?
</font>
I managed to move from Gold (I obtained this via AA EXP comp) to Diamond in 2 months thanks to some sort of fast track they enrolled me in based on my many years being an SPG Plat. The trick was to get at least 20 nights or 10 stays over a 90 day period. I got the nights in 2 months. Just received my Diamond card.

Interestingly the expiration date is April 2005 however, the letter that came in the package states right at the bottom in the PS that to retain Diamond status past Dec 2003, I need to qualify based on stays, nights or points like every one else.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Rolling VIP Tier Upgrade - New?

I found the Rolling VIP Tier Upgrade page on Hilton.com this evening, which I haven't seen before. Is this new? I searched for "rolling" and "rolling tier" but didn't find any messages.

In any case, it appears you get the maximum stay/night status based on any 12 month period:

Great news! Now Hilton HHonors allows you to carry over stays from the prior calendar year to help you achieve HHonors VIP status. Starting now, you can earn or maintain your VIP status based on qualifying stays, nights or Base points earned in a rolling 12-month consecutive period. Other hotel reward programs only count earnings within a calendar year (January 1 through December 31). Only Hilton HHonors gives you the ability to reach the next VIP tier based on your own personal travel pattern. For details on HHonors membership levels, click here.
Under this program I need only 4 more stays this month to make Diamond. I already have four stays booked for this month, so I'll be Diamond now as opposed to the end of the year.

If I've just overlooked this for the past year then please lock
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
Thumbs up I Just Noticed This As Well.....

I am delighted because I was otherwise going to drop down to Gold. I had 9 stays last month and it says I only need another 2 before the end of February to maintain my status.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by hotlancer
I am delighted because I was otherwise going to drop down to Gold. I had 9 stays last month and it says I only need another 2 before the end of February to maintain my status.
I assume that status will then be good for one year from when you qualify/requalify.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:18 pm
Original Member

I get an error when I click on the feature...
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
The rolling 12-month qualifying period now appears in the HHonors terms & conditions. It doesn't state how long the membership lasts from qualification.

They haven't updated the nights/stays counter on the member page yet, however.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
The counter apprears to work for me. I can see a calendar showing me how many stays I need for individual months, etc.

It looks like I will be Diamond soon - No longer in the ranks of the plebian golds
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Gld, MR Plt, PC Plt, AA Plt, CO Gld, Amtrk S+
Originally Posted by sggolf
I get an error when I click on the feature...
I got an error too only after trying to open the tier chart on Safari on my Mac. It worked on Internet Explorer before that. Now IE fails as well.

BTW, there is no link on the main Hilton.com or HiltonHHonors.com pages (though I'm sure that and a press release are soon to follow). Info about the rolling tier only appears in the Hhonors terms and as a link under "HHonors Activity" (after logging in).

Great new feature! Hope other rewards programs follow suit. ^
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:48 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Thumbs up

I don't need this feature at the moment, however it certainly is a good idea. I guess the only possible downside might be that the length of diamond/gold status may be shortened.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by pdhenry
The rolling 12-month qualifying period now appears in the HHonors terms & conditions. It doesn't state how long the membership lasts from qualification.

They haven't updated the nights/stays counter on the member page yet, however.

As far as I can tell, status would need to be extended one year beyond current expiration date upon "qualification" for this scheme to have any value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.