Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel charged me a "safe tax" - manager says it's mandated by city

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the Albuqueruue airport last weekend, and upon checkout I noticed that my bill was about $2 more than it should have been for my 2-day stay (there was a $1.06/day "SWFR tax" on my folio).

I called the hotel today to see what this charge was, and I was told it was a fee for the in-room safe (which I didn't use). The manager said that the city of Albuquerque mandates a "safe tax" if there is a safe in the room. Oh, come on...really!

I've never encountered such a "tax" before, and this hotel certainly didn't advise me of it when I made my reservation (online) or when I checked in.

Anybody else come across this?

Regardless, for a measly $2 "sneak fee" (and what I assume to be a bald-faced lie from the manager), this hotel has lost my business.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is Bull Ka Ka!!!!!!

Maake em take it off.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:45 pm

I have had this happen before, at a Hilton property and at no-name places. I know it's only a measly $2, but it's the principle of it. I have always questioned it and they have no problems taking it off. When they do, I then ask for manager or just corporate address and say that I'm going to write and complain. That usually takes care of it.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I stayed at that hotel back in November, and don't believe I was charged for such; I'm pretty on top of things like that, and would likely remember it.

I have run across a "safe fee" at Comfort Inn - downtown Little Rock. They had a disclaimer (sign at check-in desk, IIRC) that the $1/day automatically assessed would be removed upon request at check-out for non-usage.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation

A hotel is free to collect any fee it wants (or at least can try). But when they start labeling it as a "tax" when it isn't, that's fraud, plain and simple.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Morrissey
A hotel is free to collect any fee it wants (or at least can try). But when they start labeling it as a "tax" when it isn't, that's fraud, plain and simple.
I agree completely. I'm sure we have plenty of accountants here. Is labeling an item as a tax and keeping it as revenue legal?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:12 am

I stayed at a Embassy Suites recently that deposited a newspaper outside my door each morning. The newspaper was stamped in very small print that I would be charged something like 17 cents each day on my bill unless I said I did not want the newspaper. This is the second instance of this I have come across lately. I don't remember where the first one was. That's a very fast way to earn ill will.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:58 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Inever understood why Hilton brand hotels offer to reduce your rate by 50 cents per night if you refuse the newspaper. I never bother as I am expensing my room anyway but it doesn't make sense. They have a bazillion newspapers in the lobby for free.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Inever understood why Hilton brand hotels offer to reduce your rate by 50 cents per night if you refuse the newspaper. I never bother as I am expensing my room anyway but it doesn't make sense. They have a bazillion newspapers in the lobby for free.
That's so the newspaper can claim paid circulation, rather than a giveaway, to justify its advertising rates.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:12 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Anyone noticed if that went up to 75 cents when the USA Today did?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.