Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I used to stay at ES or HI for the free breakfast as a Silver. Since making Gold, I've been trying more full service properties if the price is right. I think HGI has the most consistently good breakfast offering of the Hilton portfolio. It sure beats the scrambled "eggs" you find at HIs.
I have traditionally avoided HGIs because I don't like the beds (I stay up all night turning the little dial in frustration while I try to find a comfortable setting). As such, it has been a while since I've stayed in an HGI, though I've been in many HIs. This week, however, I stayed back to back at an HI and HGI in the same small city to get an extra stay, and I have to say that the breakfast at the HGI really puts the HI's to shame. It may have just been my specific hotels, but the variety and quality at the HGI was significantly better than that at the HI (where they didn't even fully cook the oatmeal). I was also surprised at how much better the quality of the toiletries were at the HGI, and I don't usually pay much attention to those things. I've already rebooked my next stay from an HI to the HGI down the street-- time to give those beds another chance.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by whimsey21
I have to say that the breakfast at the HGI really puts the HI's to shame.
Absolutely. Plus their business centers are superior as well. I started this thread about HGIs six years ago, and my opinion hasn't changed:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...rden-inns.html
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
if the hampton inn has hard boiled eggs, i can make myself a very nutritious breakfast and since Im usually one staying one nite, im fine--the HGI does have a great breakfast, but to get it I have to give up points……also, there are times when I am exhausted and getting room service dinner is great. but if I have the budget, I would MUCH rather stay at a homewood suites, they are really nice
Old Dec 6, 2013, 3:40 pm

Oh and in my mind NO COMPARISON to courtyard…my biggest gripe is no coffee in the lobby, I will stay at a much cheaper hotel just to get my morning cup of coffee….do not stay in courtyards anymore and will drive out of my way if i have to.
we all have our thing, thats mine

and by the way, some of the hamptons do have really nice suites
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
I've converted a few "Marriott Men" who always stayed at CY to Hilton based solely on HGI. My biggest gripe at the CY level is the inability to know what room amenities you are going to get.

The beds can take some getting used to; I've found for best results not to be on the bed when adjusting the dials. Some do seem to get "stuck" ... I think it was a good idea, but perhaps the system can't support the usage level.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:57 am

I think HGIs are immensely superior and more comfortable thatn Courtyards and typically they often seemd to be priced more reasonably than Courtyards are.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:41 am

I've actually stayed at the Lake Forest HGI and it is very nice. The breakfast is not free but is very good. Food can be ordered
at lunch and dinner. There is a small bar also. Restaurant and bar close at 10pm I think. The Hampton has neither restaurant nor bar.

The robust coffee at the Hampton across the drive-way is way better, so just walk over there first thing in the morning. I did that every day and they don't mind. Hampton Desk said I could even have breakfast! Both hotels swap staff and poach supplies from each other.

Both are across the street from a fine hiking park (scene of last fatal Ca. Mt Lion attack!). A bit of walking will get you to restaurants nearby.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
HI inconsistency is greater than HGI. The difference between best and worst at HI is enormous. Not so much at HGI.

Every so often I get a suite upgrade at HI, but almost never at HGI. This usually only occurs at the better HI's anyway.
I definitely agree with these two statements! However, if you find a new or freshly renovated HI with top notch employees (and omlets, chobani, and fresh squeezed juices... rather than “scrambled eggs”), it can feel like a better value than HGI.

At least bed and linens have seemed the same at all HIs and HGIs for me.
And I agree with @TonyG5003 on the toilets being in the way of the counter in the bathroom at HGI.

But definitely go HGI in most downtown areas, unless you can find HI with great reviews.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Not surprisingly, people have been discussing this on and off for the last 15 years or so. Breakfast and beds have been the biggest differences for me. See:
arlflyer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
In Hilton's ranking of their various brands, I think Hamptons are definitely lower on the scale. However, when I've traveled to areas where there are both HGI and Hamptons, the pricing doesn't necessarily track.
The HGI 'restaurant' also means you get cooked-to-order eggs for breakfast versus what they put out at the Hampton each day.
Also, IIRC, there's a Keurig machine in HGI rooms versus a filter packet type thing in the Hamptons.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think they are pretty similar, the biggest difference being the free breakfast, but no other food options, at the Hampton and the cooked to order (but you need to pay for it unless you have status breakfast, also some dinner options and a bar) at HGI. Honestly, I would go by cost, whatever is cheaper assuming location was the same/similar. Of course there could be certain places where one specific property is better than another.

I go regularly for work to a town where there is an HGI and Hampton nearly across the street from one another and simply pick whichever is cheaper.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Hamptons have gotten a lot nicer since the Hilton Garden Brand was originally introduced. A lot of Hamptons had outside entrances and older AC systems, while HGIs had nicer furniture, nicer beds, interior hallways, desks, work chairs, and an actual thermostat on the wall. They had a Microwave and a mini fridge before that became common with Hamptons.

Hilton Gardens have remained consistent while Hamptons have stepped up (and their pricing has stepped up too). While I prefer Hilton Gardens for the nicer breakfast the difference between the two is no longer that big.
arlflyer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Not surprisingly, people have been discussing this on and off for the last 15 years or so. Breakfast and beds have been the biggest differences for me. See:
After posting, I saw the thread from several years ago and last posted over a year ago. I asked a moderator to consider merging.
Zurich likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
another interesting point of discussion would also be how Hampton and Hilton Garden differ compared to the US offerings :

Example :

Hamptons in the UK has a bar + some cooked food options during dinner time, usually staffed from someone at reception. In the US, the dining area is only open for Breakfast and all other times it's just self serve drinks.

In the US, Hamptons are also offered with more room categories(standard room, larger room, views, suite rooms etc) whereas in the UK it's basically just with or without sofa bed. I also found the UK properties have a "cushioned TV Dinner Tray" supposedly to place your laptop while in bed. Same thing in HGI in Asia but didn't see anything of the sort in the US.

HGI in Asia do not have microwaves unlike the US HGI. IMHO these are really closer to Hampton standards except they have nicer breakfast and larger lobbies than US Hampton.

When trying to decide between the two, apart from price I also try to stay at the newer property
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by wantan
I also found the UK properties have a "cushioned TV Dinner Tray" supposedly to place your laptop while in bed. Same thing in HGI in Asia but didn't see anything of the sort in the US.
Used to have them in the US also. Guests stole them. No more trays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.